• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

International arrest warrant issued against Landis

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Floyd becomes Roman Polanski.
An International warrant, as opposed to a French one.
Anybody, (other than Polish) know how this works?

I believe that any country that has signed multi/bi-lateral treaties that regulate arrests, can, if they choose to, make an arrest when he is within their jurisdiction, and, after judicial review, choose to extradite him.

It wouldn't surprise me if the US doesn't do anything, and if they already make an arrest, he won't get extradited, because the charges are not serious enough to warrant extradition...

PS> the warrant could have been issued because he (and Baker?) refused to show up for trial after he was subpoenaed.

Bala Verde said:
I believe that any country that has signed multi/bi-lateral treaties that regulate arrests, can, if they choose to, make an arrest when he is within their jurisdiction, and, after judicial review, choose to extradite him.

It wouldn't surprise me if the US doesn't do anything, and if they already make an arrest, he won't get extradited, because the charges are not serious enough to warrant extradition...

PS> the warrant could have been issued because he (and Baker?) refused to show up for trial after he was subpoenaed.

You are probably right that nothing will be done in the US. There is more than enough on our plates than to deal with this relatively low-level case. More than anything it pretty much means that Floyd won't be racing in any EU countries until he clears this up. Personally it sounds like he blew them off and now is going to reap the consequences.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Dr. Arnie Baker hired a hacker to break into LNDD and steal documents. Baker then modified the documents and distributed them in an attempt to discredit the lab.

The French wanted FLandis to answer questions months ago. At that time the possibility of an arrest warrant was threatened. FLandis should have taken the opportunity to deal with the problem last year.

Baker's a bit of a nut-case to be sure but if what you write is common knowledge then you'd think the French would have summoned him as well (or maybe they did but Baker's name does not create a headline).

I don't know if RR-Murcia offered him a one year contract and that he was holding out for two, but I'd guess he'd grab at a one year contract, now.

The warrant may not get enforced but it has effectively put an end to any European aspirations.
His career remains in the toilet.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Baker's a bit of a nut-case to be sure but if what you write is common knowledge then you'd think the French would have summoned him as well (or maybe they did but Baker's name does not create a headline).

They did summon Arnie when the original case was filed. You might be correct about his name not drawing headlines.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
What a Mess

I still remember how the Landis camp hyped the hacking story. In my gut I suspected foul play. It didn't really seem realistic at the time though. But at this point it seems within the overall character of the defense to have done something like this.

Ugly stuff.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

Not even close. Treated lots of racers for free or next to nothing. Myself included. Anybody who has done lots of racing in San Diego and SCal will tell you that Dr.Baker looks and talks like a little gnome but he is a nice guy and a gentleman.

A

Anonymous

fatandfast said:
Not even close. Treated lots of racers for free or next to nothing. Myself included. Anybody who has done lots of racing in San Diego and SCal will tell you that Dr.Baker looks and talks like a little gnome but he is a nice guy and a gentleman.

I had a different experience with him than you. Glad to know he was only an a-hole to me. Everybody's prone to a bad day, I suppose.

I withdraw my nut-case comment.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I had a different experience with him than you. Glad to know he was only an a-hole to me. Everybody's prone to a bad day, I suppose.

I withdraw my nut-case comment.

Care to provide a story here? I could use some juicy gossip.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Not even close. Treated lots of racers for free or next to nothing. Myself included. Anybody who has done lots of racing in San Diego and SCal will tell you that Dr.Baker looks and talks like a little gnome but he is a nice guy and a criminal.

fixed it for ya. That would be psychopathic tendencies.

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Bala Verde said:

True, the US often objects to having to extradite anybody abroad, but as soon as something happens they want someone, they push hard as hell to get them extradited to the US. Witness the hacker Gary McKinlon (sic) who was extradited after hacking a computer as a proof of concept exercise, and causing ZERO damage, with the US pushing for 20 years in jail.
Landis is 1 of those cyclists I thoroughly dislike, up there with Ricco, Di Luca and Vino, and hope he at least comes under some pretty hard questioning, and rock Racing disappear from the face of this earth never to rear their ugly heads again

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The wheels of French justice sure do grind awful slowly--how come it's taken almost four years for this arrest warrant to be issued? Was it really that hard to round up all the evidence?

Poor Floyd though--his last chance to race in Europe has just been torpedoed before he even got there. He must be getting pretty sick of living behind the car wash while LA has mansions on two continents. Time to write the book that'll really sell: Positively Positive, complete with pictures of the motorcycle panniers, etc...

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
fixed it for ya. That would be psychopathic tendencies.
Unzip your pants so you can see,your going to bump into something. This guy probably has not been convicted of a traffic ticket. A bench warrant from France will probably make him have some street cred.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Wallace said:
The wheels of French justice sure do grind awful slowly--how come it's taken almost four years for this arrest warrant to be issued? Was it really that hard to round up all the evidence?

Poor Floyd though--his last chance to race in Europe has just been torpedoed before he even got there. He must be getting pretty sick of living behind the car wash while LA has mansions on two continents. Time to write the book that'll really sell: Positively Positive, complete with pictures of the motorcycle panniers, etc...

Yes they grind....slooooooooowllllllly. He'll need every nickel of book advance $$$ to pay for a defense unless he rolls over on Arnie Baker very early. If he camps in the US and fights extradition; do you think a USPS alumni defense fund might crawl out from under the sofa, too?

BroDeal said:
The really tragic thing about this situation is that Trust But Never Verify is closed down. The excuses they would have come up with would have been hilarious. :D

You are on the money. A couple are on Twitter, I don't follow them but your post prompted me to look at their posts.

Quotes:
Farce
Insane
Paging Inspector Clouseau!
ridiculous
LEAVE FLOYD LANDIS ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Wallace said:

Not exactly. It has been about a year.

Arnie sent out the hacked documents to various media sources back in 2007 but at the time this was all the evidence the French police had. It was only last year when the French Police arrested a hacker for hacking into the Greenpeace computers and found that he had been paid by Arnie as well. A summons was issued for Arnie and Floyd, but they ignored it, so now an arrest warrant has been issued.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Arnie sent out the hacked documents to various media sources back in 2007 but at the time this was all the evidence the French police had. It was only last year when the French Police arrested a hacker for hacking into the Greenpeace computers and found that he had been paid by Arnie as well. A summons was issued for Arnie and Floyd, but they ignored it, so now an arrest warrant has been issued.

That's what I thought too. The warrant seems to be related to his no-show after the French judges issued a subpoena in the hacker case.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Okay. That makes more sense. Thanks.

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
What a week, Ricco dumps girlfriend, Landis wanted by the cops :D

They say things come in threes, whats next :eek:

a rare +1

Probably the French dude Jason Lamy Chappuis will have a non negative thus giving the U.S.A. the win! ;)

TRENDING THREADS