• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Interview w/ Chris Horner

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Just read a 5 page interview with the Smiling Man.

His thoughts with regards to doping:

On Lance:
The case against Lance is almost 10 years old. I think it started back in 2000. It’s not much of a case now. Whatever this case does, it’s never going to change what Lance has done for the sport. He’s done amazing stuff. He’s had amazing results in the Tour; he had an amazing result when he won the world championships so young. And he’s done amazing stuff for cancer.
The classic answers - not denying, but distracting. It's amazing how many people use this argument. Stinks that he rides for Johan and LA.

On Alberto and his Tainted Cow:
Then you look at the Alberto side. The way I see it—from amongst the riders and from amongst the fans—is that a lot of people don’t know what to think about Alberto, myself included. We don’t know if he took something. Even though he tested positive, we don’t know. Did he actually really take that? Because if you pop on Google, you Google “clenbuterol,” first thing that comes up is farmers feed it to their cows, people eat the cows, people test positive. It’s guaranteed; it’s undeniable. And so a lot of fans say—and this is my biggest problem; I hear this all the time—fans say, the ignorant fans, they say, Professional athletes know everything going into their bodies. They monitor every piece of food that’s going into their body. We have no idea what kind of food we are putting into our bodies! We didn’t grow the cow, we didn’t slaughter the cow, we didn’t prepare the meat, we didn’t even serve the meat. All we did was eat the meat. That’s it. Do we know what’s going into the body in terms of do we take the choice of chicken, steak, or a candy bar or a Snickers? Absolutely. But did I prepare any of that stuff? Never. Do I prepare the bottles during the Tour de France? Never. Do we take water from the side of the road from the spectators? All the time. Do we take a Coke from the spectators? All the time. Can Alberto have taken something on purpose to cheat? Absolutely. Did he? None of us know.

When I look at it—and I’ve had plenty of time to think about this—a lot of people are like, What do you think should happen? Well, first off, I don’t think he should have won the Tour de France for that year (2010). Because I believe if you did test positive for a performance-enhancing substance like clenbuterol, then you’re out of the race. But I don’t know at this point in time if I believe that you should be suspended. Certainly, you need to leave the race; you need to have that result taken away. But I don’t know if you need to be suspended. Because I can’t control what kind of meat I have.
That isn't everything he said on Alberto, but a portion.
He says that if the tainted meat story is true, then he should lose the TdF, but not be suspended. Interesting.

These are just his thoughts on doping, the rest of the interview I thought was pretty good. He's quite a character, Old Man Horner. I kind of like him, for what it's worth.

Link: http://www.bicycling.com/tour-de-france/home/pushing-40-and-getting-faster?page=0,0&cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Bicycling-_-conten-story-_-HornerInterview
(Above quotes are on Page 3.)

What contrast when Horner was man with no team and saying it was impossible to do what USPS did. 5 guys at the base of the last climb. I'll dig up the interview.

jobiwan said:
Just read a 5 page interview with the Smiling Man.

His thoughts with regards to doping:

On Lance:

The classic answers - not denying, but distracting. It's amazing how many people use this argument. Stinks that he rides for Johan and LA.

On Alberto and his Tainted Cow:

That isn't everything he said on Alberto, but a portion.
He says that if the tainted meat story is true, then he should lose the TdF, but not be suspended. Interesting.

These are just his thoughts on doping, the rest of the interview I thought was pretty good. He's quite a character, Old Man Horner. I kind of like him, for what it's worth.

Link: http://www.bicycling.com/tour-de-france/home/pushing-40-and-getting-faster?page=0,0&cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Bicycling-_-conten-story-_-HornerInterview
(Above quotes are on Page 3.)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
What contrast when Horner was man with no team and saying it was impossible to do what USPS did. 5 guys at the base of the last climb. I'll dig up the interview.

He was frozen out of that program but has since drunk some of the Kool-aid. He is employed by RS and that means some obligation to speak to the press and probably toe the company line. I had hoped he'd ride out the year quietly and retire but his toe is dangerously close the the large whirlpool.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
lose title but not suspended

I agree with the sentiment in principle. However it should not apply to AC as the amount of PED is insignificant, IFF, PED was inadvertently consumed.

That is: if an athlete is found to have "innocently" (adjudged as without fault) ingested PED then assessment of that intake needs to occur.

1. If PED intake is adjudged to be sufficient to have probably resulted in significantly (materially/noticeably) enhanced performance then the rider's results should be nullified. However no suspension is to be served.

2. If PED intake does not reach above threshold then result stands.

Therefore in AC's case:

If CAS finds "no fault ingestion" then point 2. applies (no different from any other case).

Would like to see point 1. applied when relevant...however to date that does not appear to have occurred.

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
JA.Tri said:
I agree with the sentiment in principle. However it should not apply to AC as the amount of PED is insignificant, IFF, PED was inadvertently consumed.

That is: if an athlete is found to have "innocently" (adjudged as without fault) ingested PED then assessment of that intake needs to occur.

1. If PED intake is adjudged to be sufficient to have probably resulted in significantly (materially/noticeably) enhanced performance then the rider's results should be nullified. However no suspension is to be served.

2. If PED intake does not reach above threshold then result stands.

Therefore in AC's case:

If CAS finds "no fault ingestion" then point 2. applies (no different from any other case).

Would like to see point 1. applied when relevant...however to date that does not appear to have occurred.

There rules were what they were in July 2010 when Contador lined up for the start. You can't change the rules after the fact because you felt they were unfair. He tested positive, there's no tolerable level of Clenbuterol so he should be stripped of the win and suspended. Period. The rest is nonsense.

Fair or not fair is an argument to be made for the future race(s), not the past.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I already knew Horner had, uh, peculiar views about Europe, but this is ridiculous:

**** this guy, seriously.

Some of you are reading WAY TOO Much into what Horner said!!

How about including the whole quote to put in context:

Bicycling.com: Is cycling a cleaner sport these days?

CH: Yes, for sure. You see the differences…. The fans in the States can see it with all these young kids getting results over in Europe. And you see them, they’re riding so good and so strong. And you can see the speed differences in Europe in the field. So I think it’s a great time, it’s a fabulous time, as a youngster to be a cyclist.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
This guy is an azzclown.

So he thinks it is entirely possible people can test positive for clen from eating meat or be positive from whatever due to ingesting other stuff, but then says AC should have been kicked out because of the positive (never mind the time it takes for results to come back). Then he says he doesn't know if AC should be suspended? That is totally inconsistent thinking when coupled with his "innocent intake" rant. It makes zero sense. If you think you can test positive for accidentally ingesting PED's then argue for a threashold. He doesn't know which way is up for obvious reasons. Accidentally ingesting clen offers no benefits.

This guy is spinning, with this take and his LA "look at the good he has done, its been 10 years" take.

If he was a clean rider he would not be saying those things. He knows who butters his bread. If he came out and totally slammed AC then what are the repurcussions? Maybe AC would spill something on the guy that writes his checks. I am sure AC knows a thing or two after riding for JB those years.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Ahh, remember when Chis said

“You can’t have a leader’s team getting to the final climb with five guys on the front, like every year from three years back all the way back. It is impossible to ride the front with your whole team and get to the final climb with most of your team still on the front — and be ready to come back and do it day in and day out…. I don’t believe it to be possible.”

so you are telling me that a 150 mile race over four mountain passes you can finish with 7-8 guys on the last climb? I don't believe it to be possible. Even with Rasmussen's team, and he had a lot of questions about him, he was arriving with only two guys on the front and one would get dropped on the final climb.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/?id=/riders/2005/interviews/chris_horner_tour05

No - he's always been taken care of. He's always had it easier and better than the other riders.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/riders/2007/interviews/?id=chris_horner_aug07

"I read what Lance has said about the sport, and it is just ridiculous to read something so stupid, from a guy who has made his career off the sport.

that has to be the biggest bull$hit story I have ever read!

Take those first three days of the Tour de France, and it automatically proves Lance wrong. Undeniable fact

@ Chris Horner:
Epic_Facepalm_by_RJTH%25252525255B1%25252525255D.jpg

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
What immediately came to my mind was the interview that hog alluded to and that RR just posted...
how can anyone do such a public about face?

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I can answer this one......

Money.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

OMG news flash Pony Tail Chris went from winning Sorrento Valley to the TDF and some of his views have changed. What he thought he knew in SoCal looks different after living in a dank Belgian helll room without sun and rain for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a few years.
His hair is gone but he has gained some sense of the real world. 4 year old data..are you still thinking about WMD's in Iraq? Still taking Macarena lessons? How's that electric Mavic stuff shifting? Give the guy a break

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
He is employed by RS and that means some obligation to speak to the press and probably toe the company line.

Race Radio said:
Ahh, remember when Chis said

It is troubling. Horner does SO MUCH MORE than just "toe the line."
Ever since his effusive Lance-love at last year's Tour it is really hard to take this guy seriously. But as a testament to just how likable the guy can be, I have to admit, I still like the guy!

Maybe a lot of the BS is tolerable because it is just so damn refreshing to hear an American rider with a least a modicum of a friggin' personality. Besides Vande Velde, it's difficult to get more than 20 seconds out of most of them that won't put you to sleep.

But good lord, some of things he is spewing are just so insulting to one's intelligence. STFU already with some of this! :mad:

I hope he wears yellow for a few days; I hope he podiums. Hell, let him win the whole damn thing. At least we'll get a lifetime's worth of soundbites out of him. But who-in-the-hell does he think he's fooling with this glossing over of LA's history? :rolleyes:

As an aside:
Does anyone have any more specific info on the obvious conflict between he and the Olympic selectors?

fatandfast said:
OMG news flash Pony Tail Chris went from winning Sorrento Valley to the TDF and some of his views have changed. What he thought he knew in SoCal looks different after living in a dank Belgian helll room without sun and rain for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a few years.
His hair is gone but he has gained some sense of the real world. 4 year old data..are you still thinking about WMD's in Iraq? Still taking Macarena lessons? How's that electric Mavic stuff shifting? Give the guy a break

You know, it's not about updating or moving on...it's changing your whole slant on things regarding harsh personal criticisms , and then flopping 180 and realigning your ethical stance.
sheesh.

a little different than throwing away your plaid pants

May 20, 2010
Visit site
jae2460 said:
There rules were what they were in July 2010 when Contador lined up for the start. You can't change the rules after the fact because you felt they were unfair. He tested positive, there's no tolerable level of Clenbuterol so he should be stripped of the win and suspended. Period. The rest is nonsense.

Fair or not fair is an argument to be made for the future race(s), not the past.

Firstly IMO AC did not ingest Clenbuterol via steak.

Yes he tested positive for Clenbuterol. However if CAS finds that the ingestion was inadvertent/without negligence then CAS protocol compels a result of: no suspension, and the TdF win is retained.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
You know, it's not about updating or moving on...it's changing your whole slant on things regarding harsh personal criticisms , and then flopping 180 and realigning your ethical stance.
sheesh.

a little different than throwing away your plaid pants

so 17,18 and 19 year olds should say I can't ride with this squad because once a doper rode among the ranks. What one says at 20, 30, with or without kids must be followed no matter what new info is revealed. Horner has seen the inside and has different views about the people and the process because of it

TRENDING THREADS