• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ion Izagirre

Surprised to see he didn't have a topic already :confused:

He is having a great season so far. Ion has made another step in his development and he is now almost an assurance for a top-5 in stageraces. A pity he had to miss his homerace Tour du Pays Basque.
He also seems to climb better in the mountains.

Despite the likes of Samu and Antón being around, I said back at the time that in the long-term Ion may end up being the star lot at the Euskaltel auction when the team disbanded. It's not quite right, since of course there was Landa too, but Ion is emerging into a very solid all-rounder and week-racer, possibly a stagehunter elsewhere, a bit like Luísle was for Abarcá in the Caisse d'Epargne days.

He could really have a breakthrough this year. He is climbing better than ever and he does have the tools to win races.

He will probably need to help Quintana and Valverde a lot but I hope he can get a chance to shine in some bigger races

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Despite the likes of Samu and Antón being around, I said back at the time that in the long-term Ion may end up being the star lot at the Euskaltel auction when the team disbanded. It's not quite right, since of course there was Landa too, but Ion is emerging into a very solid all-rounder and week-racer, possibly a stagehunter elsewhere, a bit like Luísle was for Abarcá in the Caisse d'Epargne days.

Izagirre has many of the same characteristics, but I think Luis was the more talented rider, at least when it came down to stage hunting. He was simply phenomenal at that, still is to some extent, while Ion has trouble finishing races off. You rarely see him win anything, but this year he actually already have 2 wins. Thats why I was so glad when he won that prologue, he needs to get that instinct of a winner.

On the other hand, I think Izagirre, if given the right support, has the potential to be a lot better of a GC-rider. He already pretty much is at this point already in 1 weekers, but Im thinking further ahead to the GT's also. Im pretty sure he will get somewhat of a free role in the Vuelta if he isn't selected in the Tour which I dont think he will. He has only had one chance to show himself and that failed pretty miserable, but this is the Vuelta, home of 1 stage, 1 climb.

Who knows. Maybe he should just focus on one week races, Spilak-esque, but I would like to see him try himself out in the Vuelta and Giro. Who knows. Great rider! :)

Re: Re:

Moviestar said:
Valv.Piti said:
Anyone knows how badly he was hurt in Romandie and what his schedule may look like? Im thinking something similar to Suisse, Burgos and Vuelta.

I also think his schedule will be similar to that, with Pologne added to it .

Oh ***, I forgot about his favourite race. :D That instead of Burgos, then.

CheckMyPecs - Maybe. i think he knows he won't have any GC-ambitions with Quintana, on the contrary, he will have his opportunities in the Vuelta.

aarononymous said:
ice&fire said:
He's won the Movistar ITT Championship ahead of Castroviejo, Valverde and Herrada. Lulu has been the first non-movistar rider in 5th position.

:D nice gesture by the country of Spain to offer their facilities for this event
Special thanks should be given to former Movistar rider Rubén Plaza for hosting the race in his birth town. He finished 6th.

Brother Gorka has a nice season, too.
Anyway at his younger days, I always felt Ion could be anything he chose to be, maybe a bit like Geraint Thomas now, and I knew he would take some time finding his real forte. I even thought he could've done well in cobble had he chose to, but of course he didn't.

Good on him, thats Rio locked up. 3 stage wins - one in a classic, a prologue and an ITT - plus the ITT in Spain. He has won more than he has done in 5-6 years as a pro this year probably.

If I was Minguez, Valverde and Izagirre would be 100%. Then Id pick 1 of Gorka/Castro/Luis Le for 100% domestique duties and 2 of Contador/Landa/Rodriguez.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Good on him, thats Rio locked up. 3 stage wins - one in a classic, a prologue and an ITT - plus the ITT in Spain. He has won more than he has done in 5-6 years as a pro this year probably.

If I was Minguez, Valverde and Izagirre would be 100%. Then Id pick 1 of Gorka/Castro/Luis Le for 100% domestique duties and 2 of Contador/Landa/Rodriguez.

I'd scrap the last three and give it to any two of the first three or one plus a Dani Moreno

gunara said:
Valv.Piti said:

I'd scrap the last three and give it to any two of the first three or one plus a Dani Moreno
Interesting thought process. If I would wanna win with Valverde, who is the favourite and the most likely Spanish rider to win, I wouldn't pick Rodriguez and probably not Contador either. But if Landa is Landa 2015 Giro, I'd pick him along with Castro + Gorka/Moreno. That would leave Ion and Castro for the ITT and a squad very much centred around Valverde, but I very much doubt that is what will happen.

Valv.Piti said:
gunara said:
Valv.Piti said:

Interesting thought process. If I would wanna win with Valverde, who is the favourite and the most likely Spanish rider to win, I wouldn't pick Rodriguez and probably not Contador either. But if Landa is Landa 2015 Giro, I'd pick him along with Castro + Gorka/Moreno. That would leave Ion and Castro for the ITT and a squad very much centred around Valverde, but I very much doubt that is what will happen.

Has Landa shown any aptitude as a one day rider? Surely Rodriguez or Moreno would be a safer bet as back up to Valverde

StryderHells said:
Valv.Piti said:
gunara said:
Valv.Piti said:

Has Landa shown any aptitude as a one day rider? Surely Rodriguez or Moreno would be a safer bet as back up to Valverde

Don't discount Samu Sanchez either. He was very impressive in the Ardennes this year and is hugely popular with other Spanish riders and within the federation, and also would be happy to work as a loyal domestique. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him make the cut.

TRENDING THREADS