• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Armstrong about to admit

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong's team met on Tuesday with the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles, which is handling the inquiry.

"We will respect the privacy of our discussions with the government, but we can confirm that a meeting occurred yesterday to begin a meaningful dialogue with the government about this matter," Armstrong attorney Mark Fabiani said in a statement.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2010-09-02-armstrong-teammate-wife-feds_N.htm

"meaningful" I believe means "what do we have to do to get of the hook or reduce the wrap to an acceptable leve".

Co operate is probably all he can do. Admitting the doping would only be the beginning. Just hope the plea bargaining does not just cover things up. We need cycling to change not have another cover up.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
arrhythmia rules said:
Armstrong's team met on Tuesday with the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles, which is handling the inquiry.

"We will respect the privacy of our discussions with the government, but we can confirm that a meeting occurred yesterday to begin a meaningful dialogue with the government about this matter," Armstrong attorney Mark Fabiani said in a statement.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2010-09-02-armstrong-teammate-wife-feds_N.htm

"meaningful" I believe means "what do we have to do to get of the hook or reduce the wrap to an acceptable leve".

Co operate is probably all he can do. Admitting the doping would only be the beginning. Just hope the plea bargaining does not just cover things up. We need cycling to change not have another cover up.

Hallaluya to that, if he gets off with little or no damage it sends out the message to dope. He needs a serious spanking to convince pros that this aint the road to go and it needs to have effects across the atlantic all the way to Switzerland and UCI. But whether that is Novitsky's remit, i doubt it and i bet they are pleading with Novi that he was "just a rider". Bet all t'others big fishies in USPS are suddenly sleeping less....

arrhythmia rules said:

Watch him throw everyone else under the bus and Floyd should be in Radioshack colours by years out!

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Do they really have something on him? Serious evidence? So far, i only heard someone else words versus the words over Armstrong and his entourage... If thats all they have nothing will happen.

Mich78BEL said:
Do they really have something on him? Serious evidence? So far, i only heard someone else words versus the words over Armstrong and his entourage... If thats all they have nothing will happen.
The words of more than someone, the words of many someones, should be more than enough.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
whocares said:
I find it very hard to believe that Lance would ever admit.

Never he has nothing to admit to so he says and I am sure his lawyers dont want him to admit they will not get so much money.

We have to beleive what we think is true and we cant go to jail for what we are thinking can we.

A

Anonymous

Mich78BEL said:

Somehow I doubt LA puts together a 'team' and meets with the Feds over Floyd' declarations.

There's clearly more to it.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
It should have been an interesting conversation. You've got the legal team in the press with "garbage in, garbage out", "waste of taxpayers money", suggesting that Novitsky should be working on the egg recall, and then they stop by the office and expect investigators to be forthcoming with info about the investigation?

I don't believe Armstrong is physically capable of saying the words "I was wrong", or admitting a mistake. He trash talked about a couple of riders from the 2008 Tour in a book, and the following year before the Tour he said, "that was not correct". That's a strong statement for him.

He couldn't get away with emulating Landis and saying he doped, because they're looking at employment law, possible trafficking, fraud, some say tax evasion and money laundering, and any number of other things. It's too much to negotiate, especially since there are so many others accused of things. And there's so much over so many years that he wouldn't be able to figure out what they know about and which things to admit to. Did he really offer a $300,000 bribe for someone to slander LeMond? Has the Government spoken taken a statement from the person in question?

Maybe they tried bringing a suitcase filled with cash. But the "meaningful dialogue" makes me queasy. I'd prefer Armstrong's side was kept in the dark until it's go time.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
arrhythmia rules said:

Mark Fabiani, the PR guy, has now been promoted to be Armstrong's attorney? Probably a slip by the paper.

Since this is their first get-together, I would not read too much into it. Chances are Armstrong's attorneys have been trying to get this meeting for a while - just to find out what they're up against. As the investigation is clearly still in mid-stream, it'd be too early for the prosecution to talk about any deal either.

Trash-talking your opponents about waste of taxpayer money, trying to win PR points on "focus on rotten eggs not EPO", and indications about trying to build a case for prosecutional misconduct certainly did not speed up getting their first meeting. And probably kept this first meeting very short. I'd expect cold-shoulder treatment towards Armstrong's camp until they've collected enough evidence to be ready to ask Mr Armstrong some pointed questions - to which they already know the answers for and can back them up in court.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
barn yard said:
there is absolutely no way armstrong will admit anything until they threaten to throw him in jail, which may or may not happen.

He who believes that they are untouchable 'think' differently than us common folk. They believe in their own fabricated black world.

Until the bitter end... and the end is coming like a runaway train.

NW

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I sure hope Lance won't wuss out and settle out of court undisclosed!

Meet them in court, Lance, Meet them in court!

But after, to show there are no hard feelings, maybe Lance should help the FDA setup a Foundation dedicated to helping victims of Salmonella.

i can't wait for the movie. .

LA_Law.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i bet they are working furiously overtime to try and get a link to Novitsky to try and find out the WTF is happening. As for LA admitting, why not? he's slime he'll do whatever is takes. this aint some bike race we are talking about, this is way bigger than that and he'd want to be a complete moron not realise that. at this stage his sporting career is insignificant to what he may be facing if half of what we think he did is true and they can prove it, fraud, selling bikes to fund programs, perjury, tax evasion, etc....

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i think people are making way too much out of the 1st meeting.

i am almost certain it wasn’t , not yet at least, about la's testimony or immunity or any substance.

how do I know ?

well... had it been about real business, it would have already leaked like the mother of all sieves !

they met for a hand shake and most likely on the initiative of fabiani to clear out some rumours and curb some leaks they’ve already complained about.

TRENDING THREADS