• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Contador the most popular cyclist ever?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Moose McKnuckles said:
Good thread, Hitch.

I agree that Contador is by far the most popular cyclist. His slaying of the Armstrong dragon was one of the most memorable moments for me. He handles adversity with aplomb, and race after race, he shows complete class.

Contador defines the term fuoriclasse.

These are pretty much my sentiments. It's been noted, however, that the internet exponentially increases one's popularity (or impopularity) in ways before unfathomable.

Still, Contador is undoubtedly super popular. His class, ability to light up a race and his mental toughness make him the most formitable rider out there, while he's been doing it for almost a decade now. Personally his "Armstrong slaying" as you put it, inevitably increased his standing for moi. Then his brazeness to strike in every race in which he participates, and not only with the Tour in mind (as is still being done by his rivals) is what makes his greatness unique in this generation. He also comes off as a nice and humble guy, who in his popularity still remains the son of a working class family from Pinto, with a brother confined to a wheelchair.

Perhaps it is his Latin demeanor too, ingenuous and irreverent to a certain corporate hegemony that teams like US Postal and Sky have incarnated, which made his slaying of Armstrong and Fromme so satisfying. Finally his passion for the Giro has only increased his popularity in these parts. Aru, to give you an idea, refered to him as "un mostro sacro" (a sacred monster).

damian13ster said:
Probably not. Although it is really extremely hard to judge since internet is so widespread now. Internet really skews things since it wasn't available to everyone in 90s and wasn't there at all prior to that.
He doesn't seem to be the most liked rider in the peleton, looking at relations with other Spanish riders for example.
Also, there is always a clinic issue. Some of the fans really don't like it, and his involvement in Puerto and then actual ban for doping didn't make him any more popular.
I got to say though that just by judging from this forum his fans are most die-hard.

Of course there is also a definition of 'popularity'. If you mean that he takes most space in the media then probably although Froome is slowly changing that (the book and everything), but if you define it as 'most liked and most respected' then definitely not
It's always hard to be consensual about riders, especially if they are as famous and controversial as Contador. There will always be dislikers like you. In that regard his widespread sympathy is quite remarkable.
Apart from his racing style, I would also suggest his personality as a reason for his popularity. He seems like a very down-to-earth-kind of person, who goes along nicely with everybody. He always has the energy to show respect for everyone, including mechanics, soigneurs, random fans etc. The comments he makes when asked by cycling magazines are always well thought, diplomatic and humble.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Great post Hitch.

I dont know whether AC is historically the most popular. i guess, we can all claim that there are more cycling fans now than in the last century. so we just look at the current era.

post-Armstrong era, Alberto Contador is the only rider with pure class. As Flecha said the other day: He is the only all-round GT rider around.

When an under-25 does an amazing ride, most people compare with Bertie. In terms of achievements, he is one of the riders that youngsters will always compare themselves with (c****c notwithstanding)

Most important factor favoring AC's popularity: tenacity.
even a 60% fit Contador is a pleasure to watch. you put him in any race and he tries to win it. you tell him that he can make win the GC with probability of .00001%, and if things look nice; he will try it. He has tried and he has failed a lot. But i dont think anyone can complain that he didnt try his level best.

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Re:

gunara said:
Axis said:
The world loves lies, Contador is the king of lies, everyone loves Contador.

Who do you love? Maybe you just chose to believe other lies from some other kings.

I'm not talking specifically of doping when I say lie, no.

So humble and human, Valverde furioclasse. :D

His attacking style, his tactical nous, his lack of arrogance, his 'nice guy aura' - all things that make him very well liked and make it hard for anyone to dislike him. He only seems to lack personality off the bike to make him unforgetable. He never shows the back of his tongue, never makes a wild statement.

I am surprised that there is a discussion of the most popular ever and this mans name hasn't come up (unless I missed it)

220px-Eddy_Merckx_Molteni_1973.jpg

It's hard to compare popularity in this era with popularity in pre-internet era. It's obvious that now information spread wery easily across the world. Wasn't Coppi, Mercx or Hinault loved by crowds? I agree with some of you that Pantani was the most popular rider ever. He's still remembered by lots of fans (not only in Italy).

del1962 said:
I am surprised that there is a discussion of the most popular ever and this mans name hasn't come up (unless I missed it)

I brought him up, I think he's the most famous but not neccessarily the most widely loved (I think of Coppi, Pantani, or maybe Bartali here). Is 'popular' closer to 'famous' or to 'loved'? My English fail me here.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
His attacking style, his tactical nous, his lack of arrogance, his 'nice guy aura' - all things that make him very well liked and make it hard for anyone to dislike him. He only seems to lack personality off the bike to make him unforgetable. He never shows the back of his tongue, never makes a wild statement.
I think it is unfair to say he lacks personality... for me it is exactly his personality that makes me like him so much. I understand that someone like Sagan is way more interesting, but at the same time his personality polarizes... some people love him for it others hate him for it. While Alberto's personality will not make people love him outright it won't make many people hate him either.
But that aside I think it is unfair to say he lacks personality, he just lacks a personality many people find interesting ;)

Re:

gunara said:
del1962 said:

I brought him up, I think he's the most famous but not neccessarily the most widely loved (I think of Coppi, Pantani, or maybe Bartali here). Is 'popular' closer to 'famous' or to 'loved'? My English fail me here.
Popular is closer to loved/liked in my opinion.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I think it is unfair to say he lacks personality... for me it is exactly his personality that makes me like him so much. I understand that someone like Sagan is way more interesting, but at the same time his personality polarizes... some people love him for it others hate him for it. While Alberto's personality will not make people love him outright it won't make many people hate him either.
But that aside I think it is unfair to say he lacks personality, he just lacks a personality many people find interesting ;)
Yes, so it's a remark that is relevant here I think. Many people like him, because of the reasons everybody's stating, but perhaps not so many people really love him passionately as was the case with many other riders. Riders that, at the same time, also had many more haters. Merckx was once punched by a 'hater' so hard during a climb on the Tour that he lost the race, for example. At the same time, of course, he was adored by many others. And it was the same with so many greats in cycling and other sports. Take Maradonna vs. Messi for example, both brilliant football players, but Maradonna had a lot passionate fans AND haters, while Messi (who also is never outspoken) is appreciated by most and hated by few. So who is more popular then? Basically, is popular just 'liked' or really 'adored'?

this

LaFlorecita said:
Yes I think he is the most popular current rider, I don't know about the past. And he is pretty well liked all over the world (just checking my twitter followers :D ) and he also seems popular and respected within the peloton.

this! laflo knows............correct without OP hyperbole

i'm no fan but am always happy when alberto wins..........he has the class I lack

Mark L

Bavarianrider said:
Lol, the likes of Pantani, Cipollini, Indurain, Armstrong, Ullrich, Indurain to mentions just a very few names were 10 times as popular and much bigger household names than Contador.

Not event to talk about guys like Eddy and so on.

The only thing the majority of these riders (with the expection of Pantani, Ullrich and perhaps Cipo) have in common is that they were famous in their home country for winning more in France then Alberto. Armstrong was not that popular outside USA and Indurain was criticised his entire active career for being boring and lacking "panache". He was/is very popular in Italy though.

Eddy is more famous but i doubt anyone of todays cycling aficionado over social media has any connections to him.

TRENDING THREADS