• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is it time for minimum weights?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Microchip said:
And you can include Rasmussen in ‘unprecedented’ appearance. Is it healthy to have the bare minimum of covering over your bones? That’s a rhetoric question.

rasmussen.jpg

brushwithgreatness4_thumb.png

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
datalore said:
Plenty of people have been that skinny in the sport. This may come as a huge shock to almost everyone in the clinic, but correlation does not imply causation.

Once upon a time in the land of make believe there was a sudo-scientist named.......he lived in a strange oval shaped building far far away in the North, a place where it was always cold and windy....

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
But tell me now.. do you really think that this kind of athletes, look healthy or are giving the right impression for the sport?? This Rasmussen photo -how to say it.. - ruins my day..:(

alitogata said:
But tell me now.. do you really think that this kind of athletes, look healthy or are giving the right impression for the sport?? This Rasmussen photo -how to say it.. - ruins my day..:(

Isn't Danny Boyle planning on a sequel to Trainspotting?

Perhaps Froome and Rasmussen might consider career changes.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
ebandit said:
am i the only one who thinks that this would be a great idea?

why should fat b4stards like me be at a disadvantage?

Mark L

Having a salary cap would be a better thing so teams like Sky can't fill up on top shelf riders, works in other pro sports why not cycling...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Lean and lack of muscle. These guys just don't fit the male athlete image.
Jockeys and body builders do the same thing. Most body builders lean right out for competition then go into severe dehydration to get paper thin skin. Jockeys are constantly in the sweat box and always on diets. Cyclists may be lean but they are a lot healthier or they could not generate the power the sport requires. They still eat a lot. Their muscle density is like rock but they have very little fat in their skin.
I know at least 2 locals for 15 years that have never looked like they have any body fat. Summer or winter and you can see the muscle fibre through their skin. One works as a plumber/pipe fitter so he has a little upper body muscle but the other guy is a planner and he looks like a stick. They are cat 1 fast. not pro fast but fast guys.
I don't believe any of these guys are skinnier now than guys 20 years ago but they look a lot taller across the board. Tall and skinny just looks worse than short and skinny.
Add to the fact that we are getting so used to seeing fat people as normal our perspectives are shifting too.
If these guys were sick they would be slow too.
Sorry, maybe I have spent too much time watching them live I don't see the problem. This is what a cycling elite athlete can look like. No reason for strong upper bodies so they have small lean muscles and very low fat. Anorexics don't have the muscle either. These guys have very impressive leg muscles.