• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Lance The Greatest Mountain Biker Ever?

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Moderators - take this to the MTB forum. Or OP - post this in the Armstrong thread. If you want to discuss LA in the Racing Forum, that's where you go. Bye bye.

Why the hate? I think he's the greatest mountain bike racer of all time. You disagree?

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
Silly, everyone knows Greg is the best ever.

20us3rs.jpg

Props to Franklin for the photo

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
IndyJoe said:
discuss..............
Wow...
Most folks set forth their own arguments, other that a thread title, and present a case for acutal conversation.

But you brilliantly begin a thread with... discuss...

I'm sure you've impressed the other honest participates of this forum as much as you have impressed me.

edited by moderator

_____

Susan et. al. I dont like a whole lot of moderation for I think we should be able to police ourselves. That said, when idiotic threads get posted, the thread starter ought to be open to a bit more ridicule.

I certainly would expect some ascerbic comments and deserved ridicule were I to start a thread titled:

Asphalt is the best!
Discuss...

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm positive that Leadville doesn't even rate as a second-tier race. There are a pile of people ahead of Lance for best ever. John Tomac, Ned Overend, Henrik Djernis, Thomas Frischnet, Bart Bretjins, Miguel Martinez, Cadel Evans, Christoph Sauser, Julien Absalon, etc are all streets ahead of Lance in terms of 'best MTBr ever'.

I recall reading an article from a US MTB race series event in '99 where Lance (after his first TdF win) was required to race due to a contract with Trek - Christoph Sauser dusted him in the standard XC race and Cadel smoked him in the Short Track XC race - at the time he also said it was some of the hardest racing he'd ever down.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
who ever started this thread is a muppet

Lance can ride his bike- great vo2 but he doesnt have the skills to win a XC world cup.
go to one and watch the top 20 guys- they combine aerobic capacity with fantastic bike ability.

o yea and off road is a clean ish element to the sport

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Chops McGraw said:
I'm positive that Leadville doesn't even rate as a second-tier race.
The Leadville 100 is not a second tier event, it is a totally different event, much like the Badwater 100 is not the NY marathon, or swimming the English channel is not the Olympic 4x100 freestyle relay.

Chops McGraw said:
...a US MTB race series event in '99 where Lance (after his first TdF win) was required to race due to a contract with Trek - Christoph Sauser dusted him in the standard XC race and Cadel smoked him in the Short Track XC race - at the time he also said it was some of the hardest racing he'd ever down.
I recall one such race in Steamboat. Lance DNF'ed on the first day. Cadel was there but IIFC, lost to a number of other riders, Weins and Tinker to name two.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Is this a joke?

Lance can be called the greatest TDF rider ever, since his accomplishments are unrivaled.

To be called the greatest mountain bike racer ever, there should be national chamionship and world championship victories to back up the claim. Ned Overend has plenty of those, John Tomac ruled the downhill, Tinker Juarez has had a long and successful career.

Lance can't even be called the greatest Leadville 100 racer ever, that honor goes to Weins without doubt.

It takes more than winning a couple of MTB races in a single season to be considered the greatest ever.

I hope this thread was started as a joke.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
most ridiculous thread ever ?

Chops McGraw said:
I'm positive that Leadville doesn't even rate as a second-tier race. There are a pile of people ahead of Lance for best ever. John Tomac, Ned Overend, Henrik Djernis, Thomas Frischnet, Bart Bretjins, Miguel Martinez, Cadel Evans, Christoph Sauser, Julien Absalon, etc are all streets ahead of Lance in terms of 'best MTBr ever'.

I recall reading an article from a US MTB race series event in '99 where Lance (after his first TdF win) was required to race due to a contract with Trek - Christoph Sauser dusted him in the standard XC race and Cadel smoked him in the Short Track XC race - at the time he also said it was some of the hardest racing he'd ever down.

+999
would have said this myself, but could not believe the stupidity if this thread

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Did Lance just win the World Cup, XCO worlds and XCM world cup in one year? Did he just win the 24hr Worlds, or the Crocodile Trophy?

Winning a state level XC race and coming second a dirt road and firetrack event doesn't make one the greatest MTB'er ever. Maybe if he backs it up with a win at Crankworks I'll be impressed, but right now my vote for greatest mountain biker ever is still with Tinker.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
Ned Overend has plenty of those, John Tomac ruled the downhill, Tinker Juarez has had a long and successful career.
For many of us who lived in Durango in the 1980's Ned is respectfully refered to as The Champ.:)

I hope this thread was started as a joke.
more likely by a troll.:mad:

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Moderators - take this to the MTB forum. Or OP - post this in the Armstrong thread. If you want to discuss LA in the Racing Forum, that's where you go. Bye bye.

what a douche you have become lighten up uppity fred

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The subject of this thread could beat Absalon or Sauser. WC courses are not that technical. They race hardtails. The races are won on the climbs. I'd like to see him go against Rachel Atherton on a DH course. She'd smoke him.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
what a douche you have become lighten up uppity fred

No apologies from me - I don't take trolls lightly and this was obvious trolling. The OP has achieved his desired aim to stir the pot and has not raised his ugly mug since.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Lance is without a doubt the best American ROAD cyclist ever, and the greatest Tour de France racer in the history of the sport, but he doesn't even rank in the all time top 100 of American mountain bike racers. Quite simply, he has never won any significant MTB race, which is a strict requirement if you are talking about "the greatest of all time."

The greatest mountain biker of all time was John Tomac, IMHO. He was ranked at or near the top of both DH and XC for a long time, no other racer in the history of the sport is even close in terms of diversity. He even won a slalom race at a Norba national once. He would have won alot more races if it weren't for the old crappy Shimano chains back in the day.

Absalon is probably the greatest xc racer ever, Nico was absolutely the greatest DH racer ever.

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Ironic Irony

Observation:
1. This thread was initiated to lampoon Lance Obsession
2. This thread is Number 2 in terms of responses in the MTB forum (the first place thread names guess who?)
3. This post confirms the Lance Effect while trying to Skewer it

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Hemoglobin 13 said:
Observation:
1. This thread was initiated to lampoon Lance Obsession
2. This thread is Number 2 in terms of responses in the MTB forum (the first place thread names guess who?)
3. This post confirms the Lance Effect while trying to Skewer it

Wrong......................

TRENDING THREADS