• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Odd Christian Eiking an Odd, Christian Viking?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not to sound boring or ... odd, but if it is of any interest: The real meaning of the Norwegian word "Odd" is something like the pointy and sharp end. Such as the tip of an arrow or a pointy end of a landmass towards the sea. You could maybe even use it as the front of a peloton. In other words, for a Norwegian it is a very suiting name for a red jersey wearer at the Vuelta.
English "odd" is a borrowing from Old Norse, where there were two closely related forms: one that meant "point (originally of a weapon)" and another one, derived from it, that meant "triangle", "third (in the sense of something or someone that makes things not even)" and, by extension, "odd number". The sense "weird" evolved from "being the odd one out". So it's all the same word really.

We are longing for a GC contender. But Odd Christian Eiking took everyone in Norway by surprise. No one expected to se him in red. He is a good rider and has been for years although he doesn't have a lot of merits. He has some punch and is a good finisher and is an ok climber. It is great to see him in red, but no one is expecting any miracles from him.

Norwegian riders have won the Tour de lÁvenir twice in a row now. So we keep hoping.
You've got a great runner in Jakob Ingebrigtsen right now, the kid has already won a gold medal this summer somewhat surprisingly beating the Kenyans. If he ever switches to cycling due to too many running injuries who knows what he could do.

(Eh, Roglic started out as a ski jumper and look where he is now.)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Jakob is a sensation, but he has been a great runner since he was 7 years old. He just had to become a champ growing up with those two talented running brothers of his and their crazy dad. Henrik, the oldest of the Ingebrigtsen brothers was a very good xc-skier before his father told him to switch to running. They could probably have been good cyclists if they had gone in that direction,, but in that family it is all about athletics. The family has had a long running TV-show in Norway and it is actually very entertaining and popular. So Jakob is some kind of celebrity regardless of being olympic champion. You could say the Ingebrigtsen´s are the Osbourne´s or Kardashian´s of Norway. :D

Helene Marie Fossesholm is a very talented xc-skier and she does a lot of training on MTB. She is even Norwegian champion in MTB. She could probably be a very good biker, but will most likely do winter sports like most Norwegians.

But I think it is a very good development now within Norwegian cycling. Looking at the U23 rankings there could be a lot to look forward to. Not to much unlike Denmark who now reaps the glory of having done a good job in developing a good generation of riders some years ago.

Jakob is a sensation, but he has been a great runner since he was 7 years old. He just had to become a champ growing up with those two talented running brothers of his and their crazy dad. Henrik, the oldest of the Ingebrigtsen brothers was a very good xc-skier before his father told him to switch to running. They could probably have been good cyclists if they had gone in that direction,, but in that family it is all about athletics. The family has had a long running TV-show in Norway and it is actually very entertaining and popular. So Jakob is some kind of celebrity regardless of being olympic champion. You could say the Ingebrigtsen´s are the Osbourne´s or Kardashian´s of Norway. :D

Helene Marie Fossesholm is a very talented xc-skier and she does a lot of training on MTB. She is even Norwegian champion in MTB. She could probably be a very good biker, but will most likely do winter sports like most Norwegians.

But I think it is a very good development now within Norwegian cycling. Looking at the U23 rankings there could be a lot to look forward to. Not to much unlike Denmark who now reaps the glory of having done a good job in developing a good generation of riders some years ago.

What about Johannes Klæbo? I know he was a part of the Uno-X team going into this year (officially) but PCS has seemingly eradicated him from their database.

• Wow

I live in the States, so don't really get any kind of Ingebrigtsen exposure unless it's running-related. (Which, if they are anything like the Osbournes or Kardashians is a good thing!) Speaking of which, it was nice to see both Jakob and Filip show up at the Pre Classic here in Eugene last weekend, I'm sure we'll be seeing at least Jakob at the Worlds next year.

Anyway, I just think it's nice you have some summer sport talent beside the usual winter sport talent, maybe the next windsurfing champ will be Norwegian? :D

What about Johannes Klæbo? I know he was a part of the Uno-X team going into this year (officially) but PCS has seemingly eradicated him from their database.

I am not sure to what extent the cooperation between Klæbo and Uno-X has anything to do with cycling. Other than Klæbo doing roller ski competition in the summer in Uno-X kit and an orange helmet. I guess they just see a good investment in him as a sponsoring object. I know that he likes cycling, but a lot of skiers do and some of them does some of their training on bikes. But the best skiers usually are built differently from cyclists. They have much more upper body strength. There are similarities, but cycling in the summer alone wouldn't be enough to become a good xc-skier.

Reactions: tobydawq
(Which, if they are anything like the Osbournes or Kardashians is a good thing!) Speaking of which, it was nice to see both Jakob and Filip show up at the Pre Classic here in Eugene last weekend, I'm sure we'll be seeing at least Jakob at the Worlds next year.

Anyway, I just think it's nice you have some summer sport talent beside the usual winter sport talent, maybe the next windsurfing champ will be Norwegian? :D

It might be unfair. I don't find the Osbournes or the Kardashians anywhere near as entertaining as the Ingebrigtsens. But then again I don't mind watching top athletes train and banter. I am sure it is possible to find some episodes on youtube, but with subtitles, otherwise you wouldn't understand a word.

Jakob won the 3000m in Lusanne just now a few minutes ago. That's extra impressive since he has been traveling over several time zones now since the olympics. I am glad the Americans got to experience this phenomenon in Eugene. He will for sure be back for the worlds next year.

I am not sure to what extent the cooperation between Klæbo and Uno-X has anything to do with cycling. Other than Klæbo doing roller ski competition in the summer in Uno-X kit and an orange helmet. I guess they just see a good investment in him as a sponsoring object. I know that he likes cycling, but a lot of skiers do and some of them does some of their training on bikes. But the best skiers usually are built differently from cyclists. They have much more upper body strength. There are similarities, but cycling in the summer alone wouldn't be enough to become a good xc-skier.

I wonder if they will try to/have already tried to make the same kind of deal with Fossesholm.

I wonder if they will try to/have already tried to make the same kind of deal with Fossesholm.

If I was in Uno-X I would try anything to persuade Fossesholm to join the team and become a cyclist, but she is pretty hard headed and I don't think anyone would be able to persuade her from becoming a xc-skier. She is already a great one.

Skiers on the Norwegian national team could end up in some trouble if they are making a lot of private sponsor deals outside of the partners in the skiing federation. There are examples of some of the really big names getting permission to go outside of the federations deals, but there are often clauses attached to it. Some examples are Axel Lund Svindal with Red Bull, Petter Northug with Coop and Klæbo with Uno-X, but I am not sure if someone like Fossesholm would have the status of being allowed by the federation to make such deals. Therese Johaug had a deal with Huawei but broke it last season

English "odd" is a borrowing from Old Norse, where there were two closely related forms: one that meant "point (originally of a weapon)" and another one, derived from it, that meant "triangle", "third (in the sense of something or someone that makes things not even)" and, by extension, "odd number". The sense "weird" evolved from "being the odd one out". So it's all the same word really.

Even for a Norwegian who knows English it is surprising to learn how much of the English language is norse. Some of the words are obvious to us: Such as "husbond" that is easily understood as the man in the household or the house farmer in Norwegian, basically same word or meaning, but it relates much more to marriage in English than it would in Norwegian. But some words are not obvious before you think it over. Somehow it took me some time to see that "window" of course comes from "vindu". Same word, same meaning, just different spelling and pronunciation. Basically any English word that has anything to do with farming, household or mundane life for the commons is most likely norse. And anything to do with lordship, fancy dinners or royal things are most likely French.

Even for a Norwegian who knows English it is surprising to learn how much of the English language is norse. Some of the words are obvious to us: Such as "husbond" that is easily understood as the man in the household or the house farmer in Norwegian, basically same word or meaning, but it relates much more to marriage in English than it would in Norwegian. But some words are not obvious before you think it over. Somehow it took me some time to see that "window" of course comes from "vindu". Same word, same meaning, just different spelling and pronunciation. Basically any English word that has anything to do with farming, household or mundane life for the commons is most likely norse. And anything to do with lordship, fancy dinners or royal things are most likely French.
You may be stretching it a bit: “anything to do with farming,” comes from Norwegian? Well, except for the English words for farm (ferme) and farmer (fermier) ;)

Well. I said, most likely, but it still might be stretching it. Sometimes it is hard to say. I am no linguist and the Norwegian language has moved away from old norse. I have no idea how many % of words to do with farming are norse, but I am guessing a whole lot.

At least the farm animals are obvious norse: cow - ku, sheep - sau, chicken - kylling and so on. Once you start cooking them, they get french, beef - beuf and such. I guess the brits liked their cooking better and I don't blame them :D

Last edited:
Well. I said, most likely, but it still might be stretching it. Sometimes it is hard to say. I am no linguist and the Norwegian language has moved away from old norse. I have no idea how many % of words to do with farming are norse, but I am guessing a whole lot.
I was just teasing. I find word origins fascinating, and was pleased to learn about “odd” here today!