• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Philippe Gilbert Doping?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Escarabajo said:
Can you explain some more about this person please?

Gloogle send me back to here.:eek:

Thanks

Could have been a typo. Try Freddy Viaene.

There are only four people who really know what's going on with Lance's body: me, Michele, (team director) Johan Bruyneel and Freddy (Viaene, Armstrong's massage therapist)," says Chris Carmichael, Armstrong's longtime coach

Of course there can be a more benign explanation how he knows what's going with Armstrong.

He was also a soigneur for VdB during his glory period, Landis (wonder if he was the guy who left the patch on for too long) and was accused of being a dope supplier by HLN (Belgian posters can correct me on this one).

TeamSkyFans said:
Jury is out for me on Gilbert.

My argument in favour is he does work very hard to specifically target certain races, its not like he shows the same form all year. He focus's on the Ardennes and the end of the season.

When he starts showing this sort of form in Grand Tours and all year round then I will question him.

For now Im on the undecided side, but he does just seem to be a talent who focus's hard on certain races.

He doesn't ride the Giro and the Vuelta anonymously and keeps fit from Milan-San Remo to Lombardy. In between he has some free time as the others do the Tour. He's like Bettini or Freire: he can win any classic or stage. But that's not a proof of doping. Peaking is much more suspicious.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The purpose of this thread is not to bait anyone and screw those whose first defense is to accuse me of that.

There are a hundred better ways to bait El Pistolero than to start a thread about Gilbert doping, especially since anyone who reads Pistis posts should know that whether or not riders dope does not affect how much he does or doesnt like them - see his contributions on the COntador clinic threads.

As I have made very clear (and should be made clear by the title which is a blatant copy of the Cancellara thread title) this is me saying if your going to accuse Cancellara of doping, do it to Gilbert.

It would be nice to either get an apology from those who said this or an explenation why they felt neccesary to accuse me of trolling.

Lets see if they have the balls to do it.

It would also be nice if you directly named your "accusers" rather than leaving it open ended and subject to interpretation.

The fact that you again mention another forum poster in the above and their contributions in other threads confirms for me that this issue is more about them than Gilberts achievements. I don't see how anyone should apologize for pointing out the obvious.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
It would be nice to either get an apology from those who said this or an explenation why they felt neccesary to accuse me of trolling.

What i find ironic is that The Hitch feels so offended that he requests an apology for someone accusing him of something on a web forum and yet he finds it perfectly ok to accuse someone else (Gilbert in this case) with something even more damaging. Surely this laughable situation is apparent to everyone?

function said:
What i find ironic is that The Hitch feels so offended that he requests an apology for someone accusing him of something on a web forum and yet he finds it perfectly ok to accuse someone else (Gilbert in this case) with something even more damaging. Surely this laughable situation is apparent to everyone?

It's not laughable, but a good summary otherwise. What makes it worse is the not relenting a single bit on the issue in the face of a reasonable argument restated many times over.

This one has reached an end. See you on page 40 with the same reply.

function said:
Surely you see the difference between a public figure like Gilbert and a fellow forumite?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The purpose of this thread is not to bait anyone and screw those whose first defense is to accuse me of that.

As I have made very clear (and should be made clear by the title which is a blatant copy of the Cancellara thread title) this is me saying if your going to accuse Cancellara of doping, do it to Gilbert.

OK, I'll play.

Do you see what you're writing here?
You say the purpose is not to bait, but then very clearly state that it is directed at Cancellara's accusers—baiting them, if you will. I'm not even taking a stand on whether that is right or wrong, but it is what it is.

The other aspect to the title reference, is that the Cancellara thread in question is, at this moment, buried two thirds the way down on page two. So you're assuming that everyone has been following along, and the everyone is "in the clique" so to speak.

Given that, you shouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't visit The Clinic on a regular basis and only sees your thread as the first one in the volley. It would come across as very strong with the inference being totally lost.

Also, considering that this thread went up before Gilbert barely had time to exhale after crossing the finish line, it comes across as even more aggressive to anyone that hasn't been following along and taking notes.

And if this—from the Fleche Wallonne thread—isn't baiting, of at least one type, I don't know what is:
The Hitch said:
lol. Harmonn said Gilbert is an outspoken critic of doping ergo good guy.

Off to the clinic we go.
That was posted only three minutes prior to you starting this thread in The Clinic. Plenty of members form the Pro Race forum never post here, and I'd say it's safe to assume that at least some of the people that only read the Pro Race forum don't visit The Clinic at all. But the above post was a lure tossed into the sea.

Personally, I haven't accused you of anything up to this point.
But don't play dumb with us.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Sorry...couldnt wade thru the whole thread, but his bum-kickingess came right after his wedding. have you seen the Mrs.? have you seen the suit? have you seen the shoes?

have you seen them all together?

I rest my case.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
For the record, let me just restate what has since been buried on page 2

Granville57 said:
Based on the "type" of wins we're seeing, it reminds me of Thor at the World Championships, except much steeper finishes: Good positioning, with one very well-timed, powerful kick to finish everyone off.

Until I see a different "type" of win, I'll accept that he's a ferocious competitor whose maximizing his strengths at an age that makes perfect sense for his achievements.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

LOL!
Of course that, in itself, is another one of these:

images

But who's really counting?

roundabout said:
Could have been a typo. Try Freddy Viaene.

Of course there can be a more benign explanation how he knows what's going with Armstrong.

He was also a soigneur for VdB during his glory period, Landis (wonder if he was the guy who left the patch on for too long) and was accused of being a dope supplier by HLN (Belgian posters can correct me on this one).
Thanks.

Like you stated above, it looks from the information from the thread posted by Dr. Maserati he was the guy responsible for the Landis positive. Auch!. That's not good.

Dr. Maserati said:
It would also be nice if you directly named your "accusers" rather than leaving it open ended and subject to interpretation.

The fact that you again mention another forum poster in the above and their contributions in other threads confirms for me that this issue is more about them than Gilberts achievements. I don't see how anyone should apologize for pointing out the obvious.

Do you not see the huge flaw in this logic.

I am accused directly in several posts of trying to bait "El Pistolero". I respond to these accusations, obviously mentioning "El Pistolero" in the process.

Then you come in and say that because addressed the accusations directly, the accusations must be true.

Lets try an analogy. If Gilbert were to make a responce to this thread, and his responce was "I never engaged in doping" would you cry out "He said the word doping, this confirms that he doped?" No you wouldnt. So why use the "He said the word Pistolero, this confirms the thread is a bait (despite the evidence to the contrary)" argument then?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Do you not see the huge flaw in this logic.

I am accused directly in several posts of trying to bait "El Pistolero". I respond to these accusations, obviously mentioning "El Pistolero" in the process.

Then you come in and say that because addressed the accusations directly, the accusations must be true.

Lets try an analogy. If Gilbert were to make a responce to this thread, and his responce was "I never engaged in doping" would you cry out "He said the word doping, this confirms that he doped?" No you wouldnt. So why use the "He said the word Pistolero, this confirms the thread is a bait (despite the evidence to the contrary)" argument then?
To use (and correct) your analogy if PG popped on here and denied he has anything to do with Freddy and then said "I have to go Freddy is at the door" - that might be more accurate.

Again, your opening post:
The Hitch said:
The guy beats the best riders in the world, known dopers, flies out from being a good rider to the best in the world suddenly at age of 28.

I wouldnt start this if his fanboys didnt get on other peoples backs for doping.

But since they do, well, do you seriously believe he is clean?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
No need to, I think you just did!

What a beautiful tie-in of the two names. It was through Billen that Viane hooked up with Gilbert, according to this article.

OK, I would consider that to be a problem in terms of Gilbert's credibility.
It does not look good. Although I still stand by my opinion that his racing style, on its own, is yet to be suspicious to me.

To anyone's knowledge, has Kimmage chimed-in at all on the Billen-Viane-Gilbert soiree?

Dr. Maserati said:
To use (and correct) your analogy if PG popped on here and denied he has anything to do with Freddy and then said "I have to go Freddy is at the door" - that might be more accurate.

Again, your opening post:

Excuse me. where in my post is there anything equivalent to " I have to go Freddy is at the door".

Its an explanation about how this is not a bait thread. I use Pistoleros name only in addressing the accusations.

So the analogy where Gilbert uses the code word in addressing the accusations made against him is more accurate than the one where he uses the codeword off topic.

The Hitch said:

There are a hundred better ways to bait El Pistolero than to start a thread about Gilbert doping, especially since anyone who reads Pistis posts should know that whether or not riders dope does not affect how much he does or doesnt like them - see his contributions on the COntador clinic threads.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Excuse me. where in my post is there anything equivalent to " I have to go Freddy is at the door".

Its an explanation about how this is not a bait thread. I use Pistoleros name only in addressing the accusations.

So the analogy where Gilbert uses the code word in addressing the accusations made against him is more accurate than the one where he uses the codeword off topic.
Your analogy wasn't accurate - I thought a bit of humour added greatly to it, ymmv.

Ok, you say that this is not a "bait thread" - but this was part of your opening post "I wouldnt start this if his fanboys didnt get on other peoples backs for doping."
That's baiting.

hrotha said:
Ah, but in that regard he's no different from any other pro rider talked about in this forum.

Thanks Hrotha. I agree (and not just because Im defending myself)

People should read through the clinic and look at the threads about Cadel Evans, Bradley Wiggins, Fabian Cancellara, Richie Porte, Andy Schleck, Mark Cavendish, Sebastian Roessler, Michal Kwiatkowski, Vincenzo Nibali, Peter Velits, Mosquera before he was caught, Colombian riders... I could go on.

Its nothing knew to in the clinic debate whether guys who have not yet failed a test, dope.