• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Philippe Gilbert Doping?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
luckyboy said:
Harmon just said that "looking at the past 10 years of LBL - its very sad to see who has won, with the exception of Bettini" and that Gilbert winning would "bring in a new era"..

But he overlooked Andy, I'm sure he didn't mean to condemn him, probably just a slip. Afterall, we shouldn't be too hard on him for being Frank's brother :rolleyes: Also funny how he overlooked Bettini being a Fuentes client.

Anyway, Gilbert's L-B-L is not suspicious at all. He didn't need to be doped to win this one.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Philippe Gilbert is only the second rider to win the Ardennes-Triple Amstel, Flèche and Doyenne.

The first rider who achieved this in the same year was....

a convicted doper, like many previous Ardennes winners:

Davide Rebellin

Ferminal said:
But he overlooked Andy, I'm sure he didn't mean to condemn him, probably just a slip. Afterall, we shouldn't be too hard on him for being Frank's brother :rolleyes: Also funny how he overlooked Bettini being a Fuentes client.

Was Bettini involved in Puerto? All I can remember was Sinkewitz saying he + Bramati sold him testosterone.

Bartoli was Sansone.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I thought Gilbert had moved his position from being outspoken on doping to being anti people keep taking about doping??? (like soooo many others I could mention....)

Ferminal said:

Anyway, Gilbert's L-B-L is not suspicious at all. He didn't need to be doped to win this one.

It's Harmon, so it is a bit much to expect him to be knowledgeable about cycling.

I do wish people wouldn't keep hailing a new era of 'clean cycling', especially as we've had at least 6 in the last 14 years. It only makes Harmon look even more stupid than normal when the next big bust goes down.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Bettini was pretty angry about Stinkypits accusations and threatened to sue over it. I don't know if that ever came about (yet?) or what.

Outside of some tax problems, that's about all the negative you read on him. Though of course he did race through probably the most doped era in the history of the sport, against a vast majority of doped riders. But hey, what a fun rider to watch!

Bettini rode for Mapei 1999-2002. He juiced.

roundabout said:
Is this French for "I pity those talentless f*ckers that have to dope to stay on my back wheel"?

Because I was too busy throwing up to catch the exact quote...

Because Gilbert himself is doping? Your point is not clear here if they have to dope to stay on wheel of a clean rider.

A

Anonymous

woodie said:
I think it's sad that anytime someone does well people accuse them of doping.

I also think it's sad that our amazing sport is full of drug cheats and most of these accusations are probably true :(

Yea, it makes watching a race a disheartening experience many times. Today I saw two guys I know dope get OWNED by a guy I like, but am certain dopes too. As with the miracle of Armstrong, some things are just too good to be true.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, it makes watching a race a disheartening experience many times. Today I saw two guys I know dope get OWNED by a guy I like, but am certain dopes too. As with the miracle of Armstrong, some things are just too good to be true.

you and I have a very, very different standard for certainty.

A

Anonymous

131313 said:
you and I have a very, very different standard for certainty.

...I'll alert my opinion machine...I'm sure it won't change a thing.:rolleyes:

I get it, you're a pro...that means you know everything...LOOK EVERYONE...THE PRO HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN I DO...DID I MENTION HE IS A PRO???...PRO OPINION HERE!!! GET IT WHILE ITS HOT!!!!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
...I'll alert my opinion machine...I'm sure it won't change a thing.:rolleyes:

I get it, you're a pro...that means you know everything...LOOK EVERYONE...THE PRO HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN I DO...DID I MENTION HE IS A PRO???...PRO OPINION HERE!!! GET IT WHILE ITS HOT!!!!

I've never really claimed that my opinion has more merit than the opinion of anyone else. I only mention (on occasion, and not that often) that I ride my bike for a living because it does give me a certain perspective from which to view events. And my perspective is that it's possible to get results at reasonably high-profile UCI races and do it clean.

Is it possible to do the world domination that Gilbert is now displaying, and do it clean? I have no idea. But neither do you, and that's my point. Your 'certainty' is based nothing more on the fact that he's gotten results, and that's simply not enough in my book.

I think that Gilbert's performance is suspect, simply based on the history of the sport. That's the sad reality. That's a far cry from "certainty", though.

That's my PRO OPINION, so take it for what it's worth...

Ferminal said:

We absolutely have no idea Ferminal. Just saying. Just by looking at the video is impossible to tell. The Schleck brothers could be bad tacticians but they are not an easy feast.

A

Anonymous

131313 said:
I've never really claimed that my opinion has more merit than the opinion of anyone else. I only mention (on occasion, and not that often) that I ride my bike for a living because it does give me a certain perspective from which to view events. And my perspective is that it's possible to get results at reasonably high-profile UCI races and do it clean.

Is it possible to do the world domination that Gilbert is now displaying, and do it clean? I have no idea. But neither do you, and that's my point. Your 'certainty' is based nothing more on the fact that he's gotten results, and that's simply not enough in my book.

I think that Gilbert's performance is suspect, simply based on the history of the sport. That's the sad reality. That's a far cry from "certainty", though.

That's my PRO OPINION, so take it for what it's worth...

My standard of proof for my opinion is what I determine it to be. I feel certain in my opinion. I'll call you the next time I want your opinion on what my opinion should be. PM me your number...:rolleyes:

python said:
i have no idea if gilbert is doped but he certainly rode with brain.

how do you dope for that ?

Huh.

This wasnt a victory won by some tactical manouver. He followed the leaders and beat them in a sprint. The same way a million different people have won a million different races.

He won the race on pure strength, just like FW just like AGR.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Huh.

This wasnt a victory won by some tactical manouver. He followed the leaders and beat them in a sprint. The same way a million different people have won a million different races.

of course i disagree. your understanding of the race is primitive.

Yeahright

BANNED
Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Huh.

This wasn't a victory won by some tactical manouver. He followed the leaders and beat them in a sprint. The same way a million different people have won a million different races.

Lets see:

1. Firstly he made sure (unlike a number of others) that he jumped on the break on the Côte de Roche aux Faucons. Then he let Andy kindly tow him up to Frank: Good tactic by him, bad by Andy.
2. On the Saint-Nicholas after an ineffective attempt to gap him by Andy, he counter attacked and dropped Andy who had to smack it to even get back on. In doing so he sent a clear message that they were wasting their time even trying to ride away from him.
3. On the final climb you will see that Phil pretty much spends the whole climb out of the seat ready to jump on any move that Frank may have made. This effectively shut Frank down though personally I could not believe that he did not at least try to put some pressure on Phil.

Tactically and psychologically the Schleck's were beaten well before the finish.

Yeah he showed his strength at the end but as usual you attempt to reduce everything down to its lowest common denominator.

TRENDING THREADS