• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Radioshack a retirement village for old cyclists?

Sounding like Lance is having a hard time recruiting any decent cyclists for next year.

The only guys who are willing to ride for him are way passed there use by dates.

Looks to me that his actions against Contador have scared a lot of riders off.

Should the team be allowed to ride in big races at the expense of a smaller team with younger riders? I don't think so.

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
Sounding like Lance is having a hard time recruiting any decent cyclists for next year.

The only guys who are willing to ride for him are way passed there use by dates.

Looks to me that his actions against Contador have scared a lot of riders off.

Should the team be allowed to ride in big races at the expense of a smaller team with younger riders? I don't think so.

I'm guessing the team will be pretty strong. Probably not Astana '09 strong, but formidable.

I think the term they use is "experienced".

Probably.

Depends on how competitive they are and if they get a ProTour license.

Scott SoCal said:
I'm guessing the team will be pretty strong. Probably not Astana '09 strong, but formidable.

I think the term they use is "experienced".

Probably.

Depends on how competitive they are and if they get a ProTour license.

Crap team. There is no one on board. I got the following:

Jose Azevedo — Former teammate of Armstrong in U.S. Postal Service heydays. The Portuguese rider who finished fifth and sixth in the Tour de France said earlier this week he's signed with RadioShack as a team manager.

Ivan Basso — Long history with Armstrong, but he wants to be a team leader, and there's not enough room room in The Shack.

Janez Brajkovic — It's been more than two years since he was the surprising winner of the 2007 Tour of Georgia. He won't turn age 26 until December. He could mature into a strong a grand tour contender. Count him in.

Johan Bruyneel — Armstrong's guy. Didn't look good for a guy who's have so many Tour de France titles to have to beg for sponsor money on Twitter during the Astana fiasco. Heavy bet says he runs the show with Armstrong
Mark Cavendish — Early rumor Armstrong pursued him. He'll stay with Columbia-HTC.

Simon Gerrans — Armstrong's friend from the Tour Down Under and training partner in Colorado. Count him in.

George Hincapie — Armstrong's guy. He's been loyal during his time with Columbia-HTC. But Hincapie's friendship and likely one more year in the peloton have swayed the 36-year-old, 13-time Tour de France finisher to complete his career with the guy he rode with during seven Tour de France wins.

Chris Horner — Armstrong's guy. He's expected to sign with the new team at the end of his current season with Astana. Late word is he's also negotiating with other English-speaking teams. Horner turns age 38 in October.

Andreas Kloden — Armstrong's guy. Couldn't ask for a better veteran teammate. He'll be 35 by the time the 2010 Tour de France rolls around.
Floyd Landis — Nice sentiment for Armstrong in his newfound ways of "forgiveness" to guys he's had issues with. But just a hunch, here. It won't happen until Landis gets some results.

Levi Leipheimer — Reunited with Armstrong this season and the duo became quick friends. Seems logical he'll sign with RadioShack, although one prominent cycling site has linked the 35-year-old rider with BMC. Can't see it. Expect Leipheimer in The Shack and riding in the Tour again in 2010 at age 36. But, damn, Levi. Stay on your bike.

Sergio Paulinho — He said this week the deal is done for two years.
Taylor Phinney — Young and talented and Armstrong's protege. Count him in, but more likely in 2011.

Yaroslav Popovych — Armstrong's guy. Count him in.
Gregory Rast — Armstrong has seen enough to know what he likes in riders. Count him in.

Andy Schleck — Story goes, the Thin Man from Luxembourg was the first rider Armstrong pursued. No deal.

A

Anonymous

thehog said:
Crap team. There is no one on board. I got the following:

Jose Azevedo — Former teammate of Armstrong in U.S. Postal Service heydays. The Portuguese rider who finished fifth and sixth in the Tour de France said earlier this week he's signed with RadioShack as a team manager.

Ivan Basso — Long history with Armstrong, but he wants to be a team leader, and there's not enough room room in The Shack.

Janez Brajkovic — It's been more than two years since he was the surprising winner of the 2007 Tour of Georgia. He won't turn age 26 until December. He could mature into a strong a grand tour contender. Count him in.

Johan Bruyneel — Armstrong's guy. Didn't look good for a guy who's have so many Tour de France titles to have to beg for sponsor money on Twitter during the Astana fiasco. Heavy bet says he runs the show with Armstrong
Mark Cavendish — Early rumor Armstrong pursued him. He'll stay with Columbia-HTC.

Simon Gerrans — Armstrong's friend from the Tour Down Under and training partner in Colorado. Count him in.

George Hincapie — Armstrong's guy. He's been loyal during his time with Columbia-HTC. But Hincapie's friendship and likely one more year in the peloton have swayed the 36-year-old, 13-time Tour de France finisher to complete his career with the guy he rode with during seven Tour de France wins.

Chris Horner — Armstrong's guy. He's expected to sign with the new team at the end of his current season with Astana. Late word is he's also negotiating with other English-speaking teams. Horner turns age 38 in October.

Andreas Kloden — Armstrong's guy. Couldn't ask for a better veteran teammate. He'll be 35 by the time the 2010 Tour de France rolls around.
Floyd Landis — Nice sentiment for Armstrong in his newfound ways of "forgiveness" to guys he's had issues with. But just a hunch, here. It won't happen until Landis gets some results.

Levi Leipheimer — Reunited with Armstrong this season and the duo became quick friends. Seems logical he'll sign with RadioShack, although one prominent cycling site has linked the 35-year-old rider with BMC. Can't see it. Expect Leipheimer in The Shack and riding in the Tour again in 2010 at age 36. But, damn, Levi. Stay on your bike.

Sergio Paulinho — He said this week the deal is done for two years.
Taylor Phinney — Young and talented and Armstrong's protege. Count him in, but more likely in 2011.

Yaroslav Popovych — Armstrong's guy. Count him in.
Gregory Rast — Armstrong has seen enough to know what he likes in riders. Count him in.

Andy Schleck — Story goes, the Thin Man from Luxembourg was the first rider Armstrong pursued. No deal.

I think you are pretty close. Ballan possibly. No way on Floyd though. That guy is a mess.

I think Hincapie is obligated elsewhere.

Scott SoCal said:
I think you are pretty close. Ballan possibly. No way on Floyd though. That guy is a mess.

I think Hincapie is obligated elsewhere.

Not a very good team is it. No climbers. I predict Levi is going to blow next year. You can't keep pushing your heart like that in your 40's.

Does the US really need a second Rock Racing retirement home?
It's all beginning to look rather sad and pathetic.

While it may have been OK to be the 2nd best rider to Armstrong, in the early 2000's team, which young talent, in his right mind, want's that title, in 2010?

A

Anonymous

Mellow Velo said:
Does the US really need a second Rock Racing retirement home?
It's all beginning to look rather sad and pathetic.

While it may have been OK to be the 2nd best rider to Armstrong, in the early 2000's team, which young talent, in his right mind, want's that title, in 2010?

I think that's why Tony Martin said "no thanks". I think Taylor Phinney is a couple of years away. I think he's only 19 or something like that. Really young.

I'm not too sure on Horner either. I'm guessing he's not super happy with The Hog for leaving him home for the TdF. All in all, this is looking like the oppisite of Columbia HTC... likely a bunch of strong, old guys getting the band back together for one last gig.

A

Anonymous

I guess we'll know for sure come Sept 1st when everyone can announce the transfers... Until then it's all speculation.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
I would be surprised if any young talented riders sign with radio shack especially after seeing the fiasco with alberto at the tour. This team will die out in two years max, or unless armstrong realizes that he is a has-been.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
This team needs to be renamed Retirement Shack.

I wonder if they'll be employing a geriatrician to their ranks. They'll need to know how those arthritis creams are affected by blood doping you know.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Divide the pro peloton into four age groups: 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39. Look at results for each group relative to number of guys riding. Then tell me that the older guys suck. You could put together a team of 35-39s (mostly Americans) and be the best team in the peloton. There's no expiration date.

Young people want to take over, they have to kill off the human capital ahead of them. They haven't done it. All sports are getting older, because, on the aggregate, youth is getting softer, mentally and physically.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
the vagabond said:
Divide the pro peloton into four age groups: 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39. Look at results for each group relative to number of guys riding. Then tell me that the older guys suck. You could put together a team of 35-39s (mostly Americans) and be the best team in the peloton. There's no expiration date.

Young people want to take over, they have to kill off the human capital ahead of them. They haven't done it. All sports are getting older, because, on the aggregate, youth is getting softer, mentally and physically.

Your theory is idiotic, If you look at the top 10 in the tour de france the only rider over 35 is armstrong, and 7 of the riders in the top 10 are under 30. So as I said before your post makes no sense.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Do you even understand what I mean by relative to the number of guys riding? There are other races besides the TdeF, but even so, Armstrong, Leipheimer, Horner, Hincapie and five other guys over 34 could win the team contest in the 2010 Tour de F. What is my idiotic theory? That all sports are getting older? That you can't just eliminate older guys from sports because you're tired of hearing about them and prefer new faces?

Hey! I made this quip in two threads yesterday! I love unsheath's name though, "Retirement Shack". I have to wonder what happens when some of these guys realize that Lance doesn't have it anymore, and got lucky in the Tour to finish as high as he did. What also happens when other, younger, teams realize that this team isn't USPS 2001, but nearly a decade older?

Remember. This team will be built for one function above all others: Giving Lance a chance to win the Tour next July. Everything else will be sacrificed for this goal. Others may get scraps that are good though for their liking.

Leipheimer - After saying so many times he wanted his own team, he once again caves in and his actions say being 2nd on a team is okay with him, and he doesn't have the confidence or drive to be a leader and go for it in the big time. Whatever chance he had to win a GT, and he really should have won either a Giro or Vuelta (or the 2006 Tour) in the last five years have been cast aside, as he's apparently given up on that. The ToC is good enough or him. At 35, he's the 2nd youngest guy here, and his career may be nearing it's end. What a shame.

Hincapie is older than Levi, and his bloom was even further back than Levi's was. I'm guessing he thinks Retirement Shack will be able to put together a Postal-like team to take him back and get him that 2002 Paris-Roubaix win he missed. Isn't going to happen.

Horner fascinates me. He actually had some blunt criticism of Lance a few years back. Sold his soul I guess. Older than Lance. No clue how he is better now than he was a decade ago (guesses anyone?). He's older than anyone here, nearing 40.

Kloden — See section above on Leipheimer. Maybe even more talent, and less confidence in leadership. Career may be over anyway if the Frieburg report sticks. And at 35, he's almost as old as Levi. Though he seems content to be a domestique for Lance (or anyone else not as good as he is) so it's probably a good find for RS.

Floyd Landis — Every indication is that Floyd has a lot of personal issues, and probably some nagging health issues, maybe with his hip. He fixes that, and Lance may toss him a lifeline.

Chechu Rubiera - If he keeps racing, he'll be another Geritol rider here. Older than Levi.

Roberto Heras - Younger than most of these guys at 34. Had heaps of talent years ago, ostracized from the sport, but didn't burn any bridges. Still likes Lance, said he was a great leader. Lance may toss him a lifeline too.

Popo will definitely stay on. He likes Lance, and likes his role.

Janez Brajkovic is a good find if they can keep him. He could be developed into winning something, as long as he doesn't get in Lance's way, and promises to help Lance peak for July. Similar with Gerrans.

Paulinho is a good steal. Probably promised him something in Spain, as Lance never races there, in exchange for help next July.

Rask should stay on, too.

Taylor Phinney is a real coup. The fact that the "dark side" stole him right out from underneath Vauthers and the clean team says something. Not sure just how well he'll mature into a GT racer though.

No way Basso, Schleck, or many others ride for this team. I think a lot of them saw how Contador was treated, and despite the big paychecks, would rather ride somewhere else.

Azevedo might make a good team manager actually.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
the vagabond said:
Do you even understand what I mean by relative to the number of guys riding? There are other races besides the TdeF, but even so, Armstrong, Leipheimer, Horner, Hincapie and five other guys over 34 could win the team contest in the 2010 Tour de F. What is my idiotic theory? That all sports are getting older? That you can't just eliminate older guys from sports because you're tired of hearing about them and prefer new faces?

Other races besides TDF, let's see paris roubaix had 7 rider under 30 in the top ten, liege-liege had 6 riders under 30 in the top 10, milan san remo 6 in top 10, ronde van vlaanderen 7 in top 10, frankly the only real anomaly has been the giro. Now you were saying that the youth are getting softer, but team columbia has been the best team in cycling this year and they have done so because they have very talented young riders. Sure experience counts and I understand that but most of the riders winning races this year are riders under 30.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
the vagabond said:
Divide the pro peloton into four age groups: 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39. Look at results for each group relative to number of guys riding.

Why don't you do your own analysis then post your results... cause I suspect the rest of us are so sure that you're wrong that nobody will bother.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
the vagabond said:

Are you drunk??:eek:

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Remember. This team will be built for one function above all others: Giving Lance a chance to win the Tour next July. Everything else will be sacrificed for this goal. Others may get scraps that are good though for their liking.

Kinda leaning in the same direction but hope it doesn't turn out this way because, though I'm not a lance-hater, his chances of winning the Tour are pretty slim in my opinion.

It'd be nice to see this team turn into a development pool for younger riders, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen in the near future (if ever).

Agree with you on Levi... I have much respect for him as a rider and still think he's got the gusto win a GT, just has to decide to do it for himself instead of playing 2nd fiddle.

Gerrans and Brajkovic would be great pick-ups if they can sign them - pretty good talent and have legs to win smaller races, and competent domestiques when needed.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i never liked la much but these forums and the bitter people on them make me like him more and more just based on the fact of how much he angers bitter people who on some level wish they had what it took to be a real pro cyclist. simply sad:(

Washington Wizards anyone?

This team reminds me of Michael Jordan 3rd and final return, it really has all the ingredients: Old talented guy, surrounded by good talent but nothing to win a championship, all I'm waiting at the end of next year's tour is for Armstrong to say: "I can't believe a 39 year old guy is the only one who want to win", and lastly he'll just finish as as president of the team or something of that nature. this Shack team has no winning in it's future.

forty four said:
i never liked la much but these forums and the bitter people on them make me like him more and more just based on the fact of how much he angers bitter people who on some level wish they had what it took to be a real pro cyclist. simply sad:(

Huh, how odd. I kind of liked Lance before and when I first came on this forum I got into a couple of forum fights with the Lance "haters". But then I checked up on a few things that they were saying (it's hard to keep secrets in the "information age") and low and behold they had some substance.
I don't know which of these guys may or may not have "had what it takes" but I bet they had more than you. I know I came up in the early Eddie B. days and I was close, but I had no idea what might have been availible to the guys I was competing with. I'm not acusing anybody of anything but it does make one stop and think!

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
the vagabond said:

So how do you think that team would do against one consisting of Andy Schleck, Gesink, Nibali, Kreuziger and five others of age 25 or younger? Far from me to deny that there are strong riders in their middle or late 30's, but there are even stronger riders in their middle or early 20's.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong may have one or two more years where he'll be near the top of the peleton, or at least GT contenders, but IMO no more than that. During that time he will continue to do what he's done this year and keep cycling in the media and make it a better place for sponsors to spend their money. If he and Bruyneel can then keep that Shack team going and give it some of the knowledge and experience of both men then it could be a good place for some of todays younger riders to begin making their way in the cycling world.

TRENDING THREADS