• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is this a paywall website now?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I understand that they need money to keep the lights on, but I'm not sure how much I'm willing to pay. I guess I'll find out when I hit the wall. I had a VN subscription for 30 years, but let it go because Outside wants too much money IMO. They offer a lot of non cycling content now, but that is of mostly no value to me.
Will be interesting to see how many are willing and how many aren't. I've still not seen the paywall yet, but if/when I do I won't be paying (or skirting it).
There's not enough interest to keep me I'm afraid.

Reactions: jmdirt
Will be interesting to see how many are willing and how many aren't. I've still not seen the paywall yet, but if/when I do I won't be paying (or skirting it).
There's not enough interest to keep me I'm afraid.

I suppose that's the thing. People like you, who aren't interested enough to open five articles within a month might never meet the paywall. Of course, there's also the time that not much is happening in the world of cycling these days.

My question, though, is; is it five articles or five clicks? Because it would be annoying to hit the paywall by - for whatever reason - opening the same article five times.

Reactions: jmdirt
I suppose that's the thing. People like you, who aren't interested enough to open five articles within a month might never meet the paywall. Of course, there's also the time that not much is happening in the world of cycling these days.

My question, though, is; is it five articles or five clicks? Because it would be annoying to hit the paywall by - for whatever reason - opening the same article five times.
I definitely open more than 5 articles a month, I've even been trying to force it to appear over the past couple of weeks.

I'd assume that the cookies they use to track the five articles can distinguish that it is five different articles you've opened, rather than the same articles multiple times.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Worth noting that, with regard to VN and CT, their owner - Robin Thurston's rebadged Outside group - is implementing paywalls across all its titles.

The problem with metered paywalls, however, is they are easily circumvented, as they rely on cookies. Even VN's non-metered paywall can be defeated with the right browser and keystroke.

Im a dummy. Could you explain what you mean by “right browser and keystroke”?

Reactions: Sandisfan
I see that you 'liked' my replay to this, and I've decided that I'm willing to pay $10 a year for CN.
I "like" many posts, in part b/c I'm a genuinely positive and encouraging person!

Regardless, I hope it's a satisfying arrangement for you! Please, some time in the future, let us know if the bargain is one with which you are satisfied. (no sarc implied!)

Last edited:
I just browse the headlines without opening the articles to see if anything newsworthy has happened lately. If something new has happened, I go to the forum thread in which it’s likely to be discussed :)
I basically did the same. Recently I've just bookmarked the forums and replaced CN bookmark with cycling tips. For the results I usually go straight to the firstcycling...

TRENDING THREADS