• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 126 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Avoriaz said:
Vaughters also says he kept his programme a closely guarded secret because it worked so well. I would do the same. Maybe so is Kerrison. Course Vaughters did also keep other stuff secret, I suppose, so it means nowt...

dan hunt was just hired to pimp english soccer.
seems you have to be brittish to get access to sky's trade secrets.;)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
I really wanted Walsh to go into more of Kerrison's program. Walsh says he spent time at the training camps but we get nothing.
Could be because Walsh knows nothing on the subject whatsoever.

And, this is not to dis Walsh, but what does he actually know about cycling? Training? Intervals? Doping?

I think mister Walsh is a great fellow with a good set of mind to begin with, who had very good contacts when searching for the truth behind the Armstrong Lie - Donati per esempio - and basicly did a great job on it.

At the same time Walsh did his journalistic job 10 - 14 years ago other 'journalists' wrote their hagiographies on Armstrong.

Perhaps other journalists are doing the same right now, reverse.

Again, I have great respect for Walsh, the 22th of october part of a story tells me as a person more than enough, yet we can disagree on Team Sky, a lot.

He looks like a sell out, but is he? Dont know. Given his character that is hard to believe. Maybe Fran Miller put a spell on him. Or is it the British libel laws?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
JV's secret training...

Sky's extra hard training...

What a load of crap! How do they expect people to believe this tripe? These 'training' techniques have been around since the 70s at least, and certainly before power meters.

As we have learned, JV's top performances weren't fueled with black coffee on an empty stomach.

Fool me once...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
Like Benotti, you give an impression of wanting a story.

Steven de jongh ‏@stevendejongh 1h
Happy with the news that Bjarne stays another 3 years. AND that @olegtinkov secure the teams future!

De Jongh of 'clean team' sky(2010-2012) is happy doping DS Riis sticks around the peloton for another 3 years.

The doping culture continues.

JMBeaushrimp said:
JV's secret training...

Sky's extra hard training...

What a load of crap! How do they expect people to believe this tripe? These 'training' techniques have been around since the 70s at least, and certainly before power meters.

As we have learned, JV's top performances weren't fueled with black coffee on an empty stomach.

Fool me once...

Yes 10 seconds on, 20 seconds is super secret :cool:

No one thought of that before.

Zatopek (sp?) was doing intervals in the 40s & 50s.

What technology had brought us is a replacement of writing training results in a notepad to collating them on a PC.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
walsh interview by Barry Ryan
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/interview-david-walsh-on-inside-team-sky
CN: I’m playing devil’s advocate here, but you said the team knew in advance when you were coming and sent a driver to pick you up – was there not a chance that they were dropping off a Doctor Ferrari-style figure at departures before they came and picked you up from arrivals? Did a thought like that ever cross your mind?

DW: No, I have to say that didn’t cross my mind because I just didn’t think they were the kind of team that would have a doctor that nobody knew about working with them. That would take a bit of doing because somebody somewhere would recognise him and say, “what’s that guy doing in that hotel?”

If they were intent upon fooling me and used it all as a ruse to convince people, that would make the team out to be incredibly cynical. If you’d said to me before I joined the team, I’d have admitted that it was a possibility. But having spent the guts of ten weeks with these people, I can tell you now that it’s not a possibility because the people who are the pillars of the management, people like Brailsford, Tim Kerrison, Rod Ellingworth, the lead doctor Alan Farrell and the lead carer Mario Pafundi, they’re just not those kind of people. They’re not the kind of people who would be duplicitous in that way.

either a sell out or a complete fool. or both.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
This is unreal:
DW: No, it was a gradual process of tiny little things that happened. We knew at US Postal that Armstrong always wanted a room alone, perhaps for good reason. Chris Froome preferred to share it with his mate Richie Porte. Then you think, the two of them could be doping and doing it together. But from what I can see, after the second stage of the Pyrenees people changed their mind from “Team Sky are all doping” to “No, it’s only Froome who’s doping” because they felt, “the other guys are normal, you saw what happened today.” Because Richie Porte had a few bad days, people started saying that made him believable, and said it must just be Froome. Now imagine Chris Froome in a room with Richie Porte – can you imagine Froome was doping and Porte wasn’t?

In fact, as i've understood, Froome is closer to other Sky riders.
How/why were Froome and Porte sharing a room?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
And yes, it's the French angry mob again.
CN: I really don’t think it’s that simple. If anything, the fact that so many Sky riders had a bad day at once was probably viewed with even more suspicion…

DW: There was a lot of that on the Tour. I mean, there was the situation where Nicolas Geay on French television asked Brailsford if all of the riders apart from Froome deliberately performed badly to show that they were clean. That’s how ridiculous the level of debate became. That’s the depths to which it descended during the Tour. And I thought that’s where we’re at now, with this kind of nonsense being peddled as journalism.
you can't make this up.

ffs. Walsh gone completely senile.
Using all the old usps rethorics.
this is sick coming from him.

But the underlying question is this – did that mistake mean that Sky wanted to go down a doping route? I don’t believe it did, and if anybody says it did, then I’d say, “show me the evidence.”

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
fairly decent questions by Barry Ryan, though he lets Walsh off the hook too often, e.g. wrt the pre-2011 froome data.
If those data can make Froome look clean, as Walsh seems to suggest, why didn't Sky publish them?

sniper said:
This is unreal:

In fact, as i've understood, Froome is closer to other Sky riders.
How/why were Froome and Porte sharing a room?

To suggest Porte is likely clean because he had a "bad day", as a domestique no less, after destroying the best climbers in the world, I'm sorry David but there is no other way to describe that other than incredibly stupid.

And to then use that logic as a basis for why froome wouldn't dope, come on!!!

" Walsh:There was a time when I thought I should be investigating every guy on the team, every mechanic, everyone. Go back into his past and find out did he aid or abet anybody to dope, and prove that Sky have hired somebody with doping in his background. And you know what? I said I wasn’t going to do that because I actually don’t believe it’s fair on the guy."

People change...?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
To suggest Porte is likely clean because he had a "bad day", as a domestique no less, after destroying the best climbers in the world, I'm sorry David but there is no other way to describe that other than incredibly stupid.
it's phill liggett quality.
nothing more nothing less.
pretty disappointing.

good final question by Barry Ryan.
CN: I suppose the main issue with your book is that you take such a strong and explicit stance in stating that Sky are clean. I’m not sure if the evidence is there to make that call either way. We don’t know. Was it tempting at any point to write a colour account of a year with Team Sky and let people draw their own conclusions, perhaps a bit like Daniel Coyle’s book, Lance Armstrong’s War? Or did you feel that would be a cop-out?
i've been saying that a couple of times previously in this thread, and thefew remaining walsh-defenders have either not addressed it or deflected away from it.
imo the fact that walsh didn't write more agnostically wrt the doping question is pretty clear evidence that he's been bought by Sky.

" WalshI remember at this year’s Tour, David Lopez turned up at the Tour. At the table, he was eating Nutella. Because he was relatively new to the team, he had no idea of how that would offend his teammates. But it did offend them. They just didn’t like it, as in, “That stuff is no good for you. We’re here to eat the right food, and you bringing that to the table is lowering the dietary and nutritional standard.”

SKY don't tolerate Nutella= SKY is clean:p

They have to be really, how could you draw any other conclusion..?

Samson777 said:
Squirrel-loves-Nutella-animals-29040402-500-284.jpg

Squirrels are pretty thin though ;)

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Samson777 said:
" WalshI remember at this year’s Tour, David Lopez turned up at the Tour. At the table, he was eating Nutella. Because he was relatively new to the team, he had no idea of how that would offend his teammates. But it did offend them. They just didn’t like it, as in, “That stuff is no good for you. We’re here to eat the right food, and you bringing that to the table is lowering the dietary and nutritional standard.”

They have to be really, how could you draw any other conclusion..?

It's the old nutrition is a smokescreen for doping, oldest trick in the book.

Sky riders can lose weight without an accompanied drop in energy not because their on AICAR but because they don't eat sh*t like Nutella.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Good interview, especially when compared to CN's "exclusive" Armstrong interview...

Pretty obvious that Walsh is Sky's new Minister of Information, though...
He used to be a fan with a typewriter, how he's a fan with a laptop.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Walsh knows nothing about how sky train or anyone else, but he knows sky do it best.

Walsh just sound like an average skytard now. Any difficult question can be answered with "but where is the evidence? we need more evidence"

I think they could. I’ve seen data from Chris Froome’s Barloworld years, from 2008 and 2009. And that stuff is very interesting and it would certainly indicate that what Froome has been doing at Sky is not actually that much different relative to his loss of weight from Barloworld to now. I’ve seen what the exercise physiologist at Barloworld has done and his view is that there is certainly nothing that Froome is doing now that is that different. I’ve seen that.

This is some expert trolling right here. Of course this data will never become public so Walsh can just make up stuff like this.

You’ve mentioned US Postal as a point of comparison, but two years before Armstrong joined the team, there was already evidence that the team was heading down a doping road. But why can’t anyone come up with something like that about Sky? If that rates a 6.5 on the Richter Scale of suspicions of doping, why can’t anyone come up with even a 5.5 or something that makes you think ‘Wow, did he really say that?’ I mean, did Geert Leinders leave the team and say that he did things at Sky that weren’t ethical? Has he said that?
What the **** am I reading.

To this day, Ferrari has never said he's ever done anything unethical, has he?
edit:
DW: What evidence do you have that they used Gonzalez’s death as a pretext?
WHAT THE ****? I'm seriously ****ed now. Brailsford said some of the most disgusting things I've ever heard to use Txema's death as a justification for hiring Leinders, and Walsh wants to pretend it never happened? **** that. "Oooh, Txema died so we need doctos with experience in cycling". How the hell does that work? Did Txema's death have anything to do with cycling? It's absolutely disgusting.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
What the **** am I reading.

To this day, Ferrari has never said he's ever done anything unethical, has he?

Walsh has become Martinvickers. It really is a sad day for him, I didnt think it was possible to sink that low.

This also made me laugh pretty hard.

**** the hypocrisy ‏@Digger_forum 12 m

That Walsh`interview on CN - absolutely amazing. Firstly David said the people hwo have an issue with it haven't read it.

the sceptic said:
Walsh knows nothing about how sky train or anyone else, but he knows sky do it best.

Walsh just sound like an average skytard now. Any difficult question can be answered with "but where is the evidence? we need more evidence"

This is some expert trolling right here. Of course this data will never become public so Walsh can just make up stuff like this.

wh_blog_0807.jpg

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
my sentiments too.
walsh is reaching new levels of insulting the fan's intelligence in that interview.
pretty darn disappointing coming from him.