• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
kingjr said:
Forgive me, but following your posts this sounds rather odd coming from you.

I didn't see anything being done with "ease".

See Hog, I know what you mean by saying "the eyes don't lie". Thing is, I personally don't trust my eyes to be clever enough to determine who is doping and who is not. I need a bit more. Same goes for RR I'd say and for most people who are not convinced that Froome is doping.

My stance is, if you want to know how Froome suddenly became the worlds best GC rider in 2011 you have to dig as deep as you can into the Bilharzia stuff. Because there lies the rub somewhere, either in his favour or against him.

In think the Badzhila thread dismantled that chestnut.

When people say there's nothing on Froome drug wise there is. The Badzhilla story is worryingly Armstrong like.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
Thankfully we have Father Martin to provide us with the sermon of truth.

Thanks Martin.

Delightful reading. I like it when you tell me how to think.

Can you tell us about wind direction? I'm sure you know the truth about the wind :rolleyes:

Father Martin :) I think this might stick.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I think I have been pretty clear on this thread that that I think Froome has some questionable performances. That the initial times I saw for Ventoux were not correct. I explained all of this earlier but it is likely that info has been missed in the flood of trolling nonsense on this thread.

The challenge that many have is the lack of ancillary information. No syringes, blood bags. No former friends, staff, teammates telling stories. No back dated TUE's, failed tests. Without this people like LeMond and Walsh feel more comfortable in their support.

Ask about the Vorsprung Durch Technik. Acceleration in the saddle, double the power out put in a short space of time. Puts your normal sport science under the spot light ready for change.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
No I don't think Race Radio was lying. Not in the slightest. His word is solid and strong. He's proved that and deserve the respect he has gained on Twitter.

I just think it was the inner Race speaking and he was too quick to try and rationalise what we all saw on Ventoux. I had trouble putting it into words what Froome did. It Ventoux was longer Froome could have kept going - that's how strong he was.

To compare it to Mayo's time was dumb.

The worst part of the comparison was if Mayo was doing a standing start ITT and Froome had his 220km lead in Mayo would have only beaten Froome by a minute or so.

That's a freakshow! Mayo had a calm day wind wise.

Forget RR for a second. It's not about him. It's about Froome. And Walsh's defence of Froome as clean.

I'm still trying to digest what Froome did that day. If Contador pulled the same stunt I'd be in the same position trying to rationalise it. But when a guy who was 10 minutes off the pace in Poland and did what he did in the Vuetla and has only just got stronger and stronger I'm not buying it.

It's the same with many here. The wind doesn't matter. The eyes don't lie. Froome obliterated GT winners and podium finishes and did it with ease.

That's what we're discussing.

Hear, hear!

What really scares me is that all those stalwarts of the status quo in the cycling media who where too embarrassed to put forward a coherent justification of Froomes performances, on Ax3, Ventoux and so on, now seems to think it's all in the past. There seems to be a pervading feeling in the cycling community that Sky and Froome got away with it. "Let's move on," seems to be the mantra.

As to Walsh, he has turned on a sixpence. It's not that his coverage of Sky and the Tour necessarily is completely without merit, but he has obviously stopped showing the due diligence one should expect from a staunchly anti-doping cycling journalist. To those who has followed his previous work that is painfully obvious.

I still remember Kimmages interview of Frakie Andreu from his Tour de France blog after Froomes win on Ax3. You could see Kimmage felt personally hurt by the fact that Andreu saw nothing wrong with Froomes performance. That's what proper cycling journalism looks like from a journalist who actually cares about the sports future. (And I think I'll let that be the largest criticism of Walsh in my post; He has simply stopped caring.)

FGimondi said:
Hear, hear!

What really scares me is that all those stalwarts of the status quo in the cycling media who where too embarrassed to put forward a coherent justification of Froomes performances, on Ax3, Ventoux and so on, now seems to think it's all in the past. There seems to be a pervading feeling in the cycling community that Sky and Froome got away with it. "Let's move on," seems to be the mantra.

As to Walsh, he has turned on a sixpence. It's not that his coverage of Sky and the Tour necessarily is completely without merit, but he has obviously stopped showing the due diligence one should expect from a staunchly anti-doping cycling journalist. To those who has followed his previous work that is painfully obvious.

I still remember Kimmages interview of Frakie Andreu from his Tour de France blog after Froomes win on Ax3. You could see Kimmage felt personally hurt by the fact that Andreu saw nothing wrong with Froomes performance. That's what proper cycling journalism looks like from a journalist who actually cares about the sports future. (And I think I'll let that be the largest criticism of Walsh in my post; He has simply stopped caring.)

No, that looked like a spoilt brat who didn't get what he wanted.

horsinabout said:
Ask about the Vorsprung Durch Technik. Acceleration in the saddle, double the power out put in a short space of time. Puts your normal sport science under the spot light ready for change.

The silly explanation that's there's no backdated TUEs or blood bags etc. Doping doesn't mirror itself from generation to generation. It's morphs and moves. These guys trying to compare it to what happened in the Armstrong days are not thinking clearly.

No team or rider is going to mimic Armstrong program. The sport has changed so you have to adapt the doping program.

There are plenty or rumours circulating about Sky.

CO doping, cortisone, Badzhilla, Tenerife, Leinders, Yates, Motoman, Julich, radobank staff, Kerrison's links to doping swimmers etc.

Trust me back in the Lance era there were more who thought he was clean than those who thought he was doping. He was also very convincing. Just like Sky are now. The rhetoric is similar "we have nothing to hide" then nothing.

Sky are doping but not like Armstrong was. They are using the TUEs (but not at the Tour) and clearly on something else.

Time will tell. It always does.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone expect that Brailsford would lay out the blood bags in front of Walsh when he stepped onto the bus?

Or that Porte would admit everything when Race Radio looked into his soul?

At the end of the day, Froome climbed faster than many known dopers in the tour and almost as fast as Armstrong, but Race Radio isnt worried about that, because there are encouraging signs, and he hasnt seen any blood bags yet :rolleyes:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
horsinabout said:

The accelerations on Ventoux were absolutely questionable. There are different elements of the stage that can be argued for, or against, Froome.....but the accurations so deep into the climb were shocking. I agree with LeMond, It would have been very interesting to see the power files. Sky not releasing them is BS

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
FGimondi said:

That was a funny interview, Paul was clearly taken aback. Most people know better then try to argue with Frankie about cycling. If he talked with Frankie at the end the Tour his position would have been less emphatic.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The accelerations on Ventoux were absolutely questionable. There are different elements of the stage that can be argued for, or against, Froome.....but the accurations so deep into the climb were shocking. I agree with LeMond, It would have been very interesting to see the power files. Sky not releasing them is BS

or in other words doping. This is pro cycling.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
The man had one hand on his ear piece having a chat while spinning his legs like it was a Sunday spin up a 4% hill at the end of a gruelling stage while beating what would be considered clear dopers by many......what is there to question ?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
noddy69 said:
The man had one hand on his ear piece having a chat while spinning his legs like it was a Sunday spin up a 4% hill at the end of a gruelling stage while beating what would be considered clear dopers by many......what is there to question ?

What kind of doping is there is to question

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

You get the point. Its what is he taking, not if he is taking anything.
His one dose cure parasite that keeps coming back is the smoking gun, Walsh should be able to see that as should the rest of the press but just like Armstrong people want to believe so he gets away with it.

It is so obvious yet people defend him.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Thanks for taking the time to answer....NO CAPS this time :) I think that the acceleration (by eye) was enough for me believe that there is some bike technology involved, simply because I cannot come up with any other explanation. Doping alone would not and has never produced such an "unnatural" ride in it's appearance. I just find it hard to believe you haven't heard rumours.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
noddy69 said:

was funny though wasn't it......

Benotti69 said:

I think Race, Walsh and others are exhausted from Armstrong.

That took the best part of 20 years to crack.

I don't think they have the energy to go through it again. Thus easy just to say Sky and Froome are good.

I understand.

I think some of it also is; oh no not again.

I'll give them a pass and will carry the fight alone.

thehog said:
I think Race, Walsh and others are exhausted from Armstrong.

That took the best part of 20 years to crack.

I don't think they have the energy to go through it again. Thus easy just to say Sky and Froome are good.

I understand.

I think some of it also is; oh no not again.

I'll give them a pass and will carry the fight alone.

...and now time to earn some money to make up for all those years...like Andreu is doing.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Semnoz and the attacks on Ventoux
Normal people who arent pushed by their wifes to confess saw enough on the Bonascre.

Frankie is omerta, too bad for Armstrong his wife wears the pants. And good for unipublic of course, lets not forget that important line.

But back to Walsh, he is as Benotti stated, and others, and myself, back in the Kelly - typewriter - fan - modus.

Good for him.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
...and now time to earn some money to make up for all those years...like Andreu is doing.

You might be on to something, look at the T-Shirt Frankie was wearing today while he was interviewing Morton

BSd9Bk_CEAAAoGv.jpg

Clearly he is on the payroll.

I need to figure out how to get on that gravy train. Only a matter of time before Frankie has a private jet