• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
A tweet from Walsh,

So Walsh admits to not being one of the journalists in the pressroom laughing while watching Armstrong sprinting up Sestriere.

Armstrong bullied Bassons after Sestriere when Bassons attacked on the road to Alpe D'Huez.

So in similar vein, why not question Woggins who attacked Landis and begin to doubt Wiggins performances?

We got the excuses of Armstrong, enlarged heart, loss of body weight, higher cadence, yadayada and we are getting similar lies from Sky.

The same goes for the meteroic of Froome, excuses being believed and not questioned.

Walsh seems to be not reading Sky well here.

He is back to being a fan with a laptop.

He said he acted on suspicion himself a few days before that tweet, in this interview: http://nos.nl/video/525255-walsh-slaat-terug-in-avondetappe.html
(at 3:03).

Walsh did impress me in that interview though.
A real pitty he's on Sky's payroll now.

I do think I understand Walsh' reluctance to go after Sky also from an emotional perspective (i.e. regardless of any financial bonuses he might be receiving). Just look at the morons attacking Walsh in that interview (and the attacks went on in the same program the day after). Goes to show: even post-USADA-report, many colleagues still despise him for having gone after the truth. Going after Sky now would have been a loose-loose situation for Walsh.

Honest question:
What do you think are the chances of Kimmage ending up on Sky's payroll?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
by the way, Emma O'Reilly responded to that Walsh tweet in a way that suggested that she doesn't buy Froome and is wondering why Walsh isn't more skeptic.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
He said he acted on suspicion himself a few days before that tweet, in this interview: http://nos.nl/video/525255-walsh-slaat-terug-in-avondetappe.html
(at 3:03).

Walsh did impress me in that interview though.
A real pitty he's on Sky's payroll now.

I do think I understand Walsh' reluctance to go after Sky also from an emotional perspective (i.e. regardless of any financial bonuses he might be receiving). Just look at the morons attacking Walsh in that interview (and the attacks went on in the same program the day after). Goes to show: even post-USADA-report, many colleagues still despise him for having gone after the truth. Going after Sky now would have been a loose-loose situation for Walsh.

Honest question:
What do you think are the chances of Kimmage ending up on Sky's payroll?

I dont think Walsh is on a lose lose. His 'Whislteblowers' talks have shown that he doesn't give a fig for other journalists opinions.

That he was not one of the journos laughing at Armstrong climbing Sestriere is news to me, that it took the bullying of Bassons to make Walsh question Arstrong shows how much Walsh can actually see in cycling, very little.

That he then went against the grain to write about Armstrong performances not being natural shows he aint interested in others opinions.

Why he is giving Sky an easy ride? Maybe he is close to retiring at 60 and does not want to jeopardise that!

I cannot see his reasons to not doubt and probe deeper.

Kimmage will not take Murdoch's shilling if it means compromising his integrity.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
by the way, Emma O'Reilly responded to that Walsh tweet in a way that suggested that she doesn't buy Froome and is wondering why Walsh isn't more skeptic.

I noticed that, hence my decision to post on this thread.

On Walsh's wiki page it states

Walsh revealed in the Sunday Times in 2001 after a two-year investigation that Armstrong was working with the controversial Italian doctor Michele Ferrari. Under the headline "Champ of Cheat?" The Sunday Times asked in 2001 why a clean rider would work with a dirty doctor.

When Sky work with a dirty doctor he accepts it was for saddle sores!

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how many times this needs to be said but Walsh said the whole Leinders episode was a disaster for Sky.

Brailsford admitted his mistake again yesterday and called Leinders a liar. I wouldn't be calling Leinders a liar if he was running a team wide doping programme for me.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Just to add, I have huge respect for Kimmage and have no issues with his questioning of Sky currently(carry it on) but at the moment he is too fixated on one team with all this and should be doing similar with other teams across the board as well.

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
Just to add, I have huge respect for Kimmage and have no issues with his questioning of Sky currently(carry it on) but at the moment he is too fixated on one team with all this and should be doing similar with other teams across the board as well.

he prob smells a rat.......like a lot of people that been watching sport a while

gooner said:

To be fair in ITV last night he did have a go at teams being managed by Vino and Riis, I think a little unfairly he said riders like Froome and Dan Martin should speak out against them.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I don't know how many times this needs to be said but Walsh said the whole Leinders episode was a disaster for Sky.

Brailsford admitted his mistake again yesterday and called Leinders a liar. I wouldn't be calling Leinders a liar if he was running a team wide doping programme for me.

If you paid Leinder's loads of money to keep his trap shut why not?

Also it is free publicity for Leinders, worked wonders for Ferarri.

As for Walsh calling it a disaster, well if he doesn't follow up on it, it is a meaningless soundbite and sounds more like PR for Sky.

The follow up is how did Brailsford the self proclaimed 'King of Detail' miss that Leinders was working for Rabo when Rasmussen was thrown off the TdF?

Doesn't add up from Sky and that Walsh has accepted Sky's lies is a sad day for journalism.

He took a different tack with Armstrong, but then again Armstrong was not sponsored by his employers.

Kimmage stated at 'whistleblowers' talk that he lost his job for criticising TeamSky. With that in mind Walsh seems to be toeing the party line.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
del1962 said:
To be fair in ITV last night he did have a go at teams being managed by Vino and Riis, I think a little unfairly he said riders like Froome and Dan Martin should speak out against them.

The only press conferences I hear him questioning anything at the moment are Sky's ones. Why isn't he at the other ones doing similar? What about Rolland after his debacle at the Dauphine and who is in the polka dot now? We see questions on Leinders put to Sky so why aren't they been put to the other teams with doctors who have dodgy pasts? Dimspace wrote a very good piece summarising all that up. There are plenty of questions to be asked there as well.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
If you paid Leinder's loads of money to keep his trap shut why not?

Also it is free publicity for Leinders, worked wonders for Ferarri.

As for Walsh calling it a disaster, well if he doesn't follow up on it, it is a meaningless soundbite and sounds more like PR for Sky.

The follow up is how did Brailsford the self proclaimed 'King of Detail' miss that Leinders was working for Rabo when Rasmussen was thrown off the TdF?

Doesn't add up from Sky and that Walsh has accepted Sky's lies is a sad day for journalism.

He took a different tack with Armstrong, but then again Armstrong was not sponsored by his employers.

Kimmage stated at 'whistleblowers' talk that he lost his job for criticising TeamSky. With that in mind Walsh seems to be toeing the party line.

I keep hearing Kimmage say that but that's his take and opinion on it. I like to ask him why was Ian Hawkey, the football journalist let go the same time as him so?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
The only press conferences I hear him questioning anything at the moment are Sky's ones. Why isn't he at the other ones doing similar? What about Rolland after his debacle at the Dauphine and who is in the polka dot now? We see questions on Leinders put to Sky so why aren't they been put to the other teams with doctors who have dodgy pasts? Dimspace wrote a very good piece summarising all that up. There are plenty of questions to be asked there as well.

Why dont you ask him via twitter?

Right now Sky are the ones dominating. So why not start with them. Also they are an English team so there will be misunderstanding due to the language.

Also Sky stood up and declared they were different and going to do it differently with full transparency. They have not done that. They have won a lot and need to be questioned.

Where are the Spanish journos questioning Movistar and Saxo?

We know the Norwegian journos would not dare question EBH's lack of performances. So other wont as well.

Where are the Italian journalists questioning how Cannondale could keep 3 strong sprinter teams at bay for so long?

Kimmage cant go after everyone. Go after the top dog and the rest will cower in fear.

In the english speaking world I would posit that 'most people' think Movistar, Saxo-Tinkoff, Astana, (Bertie, Valverde, Nibali) (And all those other foreigners...) are riddled with PEDs.

Sky is the team that has the 0 tolerance approach to anyone with half a past of doping, the winner of last year's TdF, the probable winner of this year's TdF. It is the big catch for a journalist like Kimmage. You'd have to search hard to find an article in the mainstream press on Vini Fantini yet Armstrong/USPS was all over the news.

Sure he could switch his attention to Movistar but Sky is a far bigger potential 'catch' to him as a journo.

Where are the Italian journalists questioning how Cannondale could keep 3 strong sprinter teams at bay for so long?

This one is easy, Cav, Greipel and Kittel were/would have been fried if they'd kept the pace up to get them back on.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
A tweet from Walsh,

So Walsh admits to not being one of the journalists in the pressroom laughing while watching Armstrong sprinting up Sestriere.

Armstrong bullied Bassons after Sestriere when Bassons attacked on the road to Alpe D'Huez.

So in similar vein, why not question Woggins who attacked Landis and begin to doubt Wiggins performances?

We got the excuses of Armstrong, enlarged heart, loss of body weight, higher cadence, yadayada and we are getting similar lies from Sky.

The same goes for the meteroic of Froome, excuses being believed and not questioned.

Walsh seems to be not reading Sky well here.

He is back to being a fan with a laptop.

To the blue - of course he did ask Wiggins exactly why he 'attacked' Landis:
Wiggins, who could have stayed clear of the debate, chose instead to run with the mob that attacked Landis, questioning the former Postal rider’smental state and suggesting that only a crazed man would say the things Landis was saying. For someone watching from a distance, the obviousquestion was why would Wiggins, who most people considered clean, defend a cheat such as Armstrong?

He is embarrassed by the memory but attempts to explain how it happened that he too tried to discredit Landis.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:
Of course one team is being fixated on. They are leading the Tour, and an extremely impressive opening mountain stage - all while making grand announcements about how clean they are.

Do you want him asking Euskaltel why they aren't falling off their bikes as much as usual?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:

You can't be serious on this.
The guy has two arms two legs one mouth like everyone else, so cannot be in five places at the same time.
A man courting five women at once won't be fair to any single one of them. Better to love one lady and treat her right.
A scientist doing superficial research on five different topics won't yield any results. If you want to progress, you do in-depth research on one topic.

And how do you think going after multiple teams/doctors at the same time would work out for Paul? He's already an outcast.

It's sad enough that Paul is still the only one out there doing his job.

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

they so busy paying attention to little details they forget the big stuff.......

like checking up on their staff.........

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I was sent a clip of Brailsford saying he would not release data because it would get misinterpreted by 'pseudo scientists' - I immediately thought of some here and on twitter who misrepresent everything.
You actually give people like Brailsford (& McQuaid, JV) etc) a plausible reason to hide and not engage.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see McQuaid and Brailsford read and take note of what I post.

Dopers tend not to engage, with the exception of JV, but he is savy to t'interweb and knows that you can manipulate the message with a little bit of inside info fed to fans.