• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
Happy ending?

His thoughts wandered again. Almost unconsciously he traced with his finger in the dust on the table:

2+2=5

'They can't get inside you,' she had said. But they could get inside you. 'What happens to you here is for ever,' O'Brien/Brailsford had said. That was a true word. There were things, your own acts, from which you could never recover. Something was killed in your breast: burnt out, cauterized out.

http://www.george-orwell.org/1984/22.html

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
I think that interview signed and sealed any doubts that the Clinic may have had.

Its just bizarre that he hunted Armstrong for all those years and yet here he is being totally blinded by the Sky Tour and all the glitz and glamour.

He was gushing about the hotel room he was given, the massage available to him....the plush time he had on the Tour. He was positively in awe of it all. Unbelieveable....the man is a bafoon !

I thought this may be all a smokescreen to get in with Sky but Walsh is obviously not that intelligent.

Another kick in the teeth for us all.

Its funny because you believe it

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
:D

well, credit where credit is due.
buying walsh has been a clever move.
an absolute win-win situation for everyone involved.

boy do i hope the house of cards comes falling down soon.

You hope someone is cheating is what you really mean and that makes me feel pity for you .Come on cheer up, go out and achieve something in life it feels great .I ate to much the other day it made me happy

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
:D

well, credit where credit is due.
buying walsh has been a clever move.
an absolute win-win situation for everyone involved.

boy do i hope the house of cards comes falling down soon.

There lies the thinking of many in the clinic and why some opinions can't be respected on this.

And this is all done with people even prepared to throw Walsh under a bus in the process. I have to laugh when I hear people say he only had an interest in Lance with a fixation on him. They really do know nothing about the history of the man.

He can't write about things he doesn't see or stuff without no substance to it like some do around here. He can only go on what he has.

Funny how everyone was up in arms when Kimmage wasn't allowed in for the 2010 Tour and now dismiss it when Walsh is around them as it suits their current agenda and narrative.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
There lies the thinking of many in the clinic and why some opinions can't be respected on this.

And this is all done with people even prepared to throw Walsh under a bus in the process. I have to laugh when I hear people say he only had an interest in Lance with a fixation on him. They really do know nothing about the history of the man.

He can't write about things he doesn't see or stuff without no substance to it like some do around here. He can only go on what he has.

Funny how everyone was up in arms when Kimmage wasn't allowed in for the 2010 Tour and now dismiss it when Walsh is around them as it suits their current agenda and narrative.

Walsh has lost his credibilty on Sky, imo.

Walsh called out Michelle Smith with no evidence apart from her performance in the Olympics.

Walsh called Contador out with no evidence apart from his performance in the TdF.

In both these instances he didn't see or have 'stuff'. As for 'substance', what 'substance' did he have on Smith or Contador.

He also claims he didn't believe Armstrong was doping till Armstrong slammed Bassons. Everyone else in the press room laughed when Armstrong sprinted up Sestriere and yet Walsh wasn't suspicious!

So Sky have 2 riders who came from the Gruppetto to the winners podium of the TdF 2 years in a row in a sport like cycling and Walsh cant call it out! Why? Some possible reasons, 1) He works for Murdoch, owner of Sunday Times and Sky. 2) He was conned by Brailsford. 3) He is tired of doping stories.

If we compare Sky to USPS, we can draw the following comparisons,

Rider/s not showing GT potential suddenly podium/winning.

Riders excelling in disciplines that they failed at previously. Armstrong TTing, Wiggins and Froome climbing.

Worked with doping Doctors on their team.

Employed former dopers.

Shooting the messengers. Armstrong and Wiggins both have had a pop at anyone questioing their new found abilities.

Team performances. USPS train, Sky Train.

Chapeau to Walsh on his pursuit of Armstrong, but pathetic on his lovefest with Sky.

Walsh gushed like a teenager in love about Sky this year. A true fan on twitter defending, praising and never critical.

This will be a blot on Walsh's career when it comes out about Wiggins, Froome et al in Sky. He will not doubt try and write himself in a good light but too late.

Remember Sky's success has all come during McQuaids rein ;)

The bottom line is Walsh's arguments have tremendous flaws in them. Especially the one about how fast times aren't suspicious when he spent the last decade shouting at the top of his voice that anyone who matches Armstrongs time is a doper end of.

Or scandalously his claim that those who suspect Froome are the same ones who defended Armstrong. While playing up wiggins who was someone who actually did defend Armstrong:rolleyes:

I believe there is right and wrong and her Walsh is clearly in the wrong. Pure and simple just like those who said the sun revolved around the world were wrong.

Someone who hates the clinic and doesn't think sky is doping, on twitter - the Alex Oates guy, said that Walsh thinks that because he was right on Armstrong (and we might add so were many other people) when he says Sky are clean that should be the end of the discussion. He believes he should be the pope of anti doping now and he doesn't like people not taking his opinions as gospel.

I don't know if that is the case but at times it really does look like it is.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/david-walsh-it-was-obvious-me-lance-armstrong-was-doping

“The thing is that in sport nowadays, the sponsors, the race organisers, the sportsmen themselves, they’re almost telling us how we should react to an event.
“But the only thing that’s still our own… the only thing they can’t take away from you is your emotional reaction to that event.

and yet here is Walsh PREACHING to US that SKY ARE CLEAN

“Everybody would say, ‘what evidence have you got?’. I would say, ‘well I don’t have enough evidence to ever prove to anyone that he’s guilty…I just feel that I have huge responsibility, a huge need, to go and ask a lot of questions’.”

SO he didn't need any evidence to tell him Armstrong was doping...but he does need that evidence with SKY and Froome.

Fans with Typewriters

It touches on a wider issue in the world of sports journalism – what Walsh describes as journalists as “fans with typewriters”.
“There was a time when it wasn’t cool to be a fan with a typewriter. When you went to a stadium you went as a journalist, and you didn’t express any partisanship for one team or another.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/david-walsh-it-was-obvious-me-lance-armstrong-was-doping

Someone should ask Walsh if he is a Sky Fan with a Typewriter !

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
good post hitch.
The Hitch said:
...the Alex Oates guy, said that Walsh thinks that because he was right on Armstrong (and we might add so were many other people) when he says Sky are clean that should be the end of the discussion. He believes he should be the pope of anti doping now and he doesn't like people not taking his opinions as gospel.
funny how those things go. One of walsh's first arguments in favor of Sky was that jonathan vaughters had assured him sky are clean.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
so you would say his 1000 tweets a day fawning over sky had substance to them?

He was in and around Sky reporting. He writes for a UK newspaper and probably most of his followers are from there as well. It's in conversation with them so it's only normal he was going to tweet more on them.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Personally I thought one of the weirdest arguments Walsh came up with was on sharing a room. If Froome wanted to dope he would take the single room he could have as team leader and not share so he could dope. Instead he shared.......eh with Richie Porte.
What kind of logic is that for a man who should know better.

Yea, that is bizarre. It almost suggests that only one rider per team can dope, as everybody else will have a roommate to answer to.

I wonder which of di Luca and Santambrogio (or both) was roomsharing at the Giro, and who with, then. Didn't everyone at Barloworld claim not to have had any idea Dueñas was doping? Surely he must have roomed with somebody at some point. I can't possibly believe Moisés Dueñas was Barloworld's leader back then (Soler...).

There are much better points that can be made in favour of Sky being clean, and I am surprised that Walsh is including such a bizarre and unprecedentedly daft talking point in his case in support of that conclusion.

Libertine Seguros said:
I wonder which of di Luca and Santambrogio (or both) was roomsharing at the Giro, and who with, then. Didn't everyone at Barloworld claim not to have had any idea Dueñas was doping? Surely he must have roomed with somebody at some point. I can't possibly believe Moisés Dueñas was Barloworld's leader back then (Soler...).

Felix Cardenas was Duenas's room mate at the time.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/forbidden-substances-found-in-duenas-room

Libertine Seguros said:
Yea, that is bizarre. It almost suggests that only one rider per team can dope, as everybody else will have a roommate to answer to.

There are much better points that can be made in favour of Sky being clean, and I am surprised that Walsh is including such a bizarre and unprecedentedly daft talking point in his case in support of that conclusion.

USPS riders doped alone. They just happened to be in the same room alone with each other :rolleyes:

noddy69 said:
Personally I thought one of the weirdest arguments Walsh came up with was on sharing a room. If Froome wanted to dope he would take the single room he could have as team leader and not share so he could dope. Instead he shared.......eh with Richie Porte.
What kind of logic is that for a man who should know better.

This ^, absolutely.

I saw this Walsh interview and I have to say I haven't laughed so hard since Froome's Ventoux freak show.

It's a shame Walsh has chosen this path. His credibility has gone. Forget about Walsh.

The Chicken said:
This ^, absolutely.

I saw this Walsh interview and I have to say I haven't laughed so hard since Froome's Ventoux freak show.

It's a shame Walsh has chosen this path. His credibility has gone. Forget about Walsh.

Lance should have put Walsh up in a hotel and got him a massage at the Yellow Rose.

He'd still be a 7 time winner :rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
If I were Walsh I'd start asking for more access, now that his relationship is improving with them. :) Knowing Walsh I wouldn't say that he's a "fanboy" for a few more years until all is said and done...

I want Sky to run a "big brother" style camera program with 18+ hours of daily footage off the bike with a major newspaper perhaps... Maybe one of SKY's competitors can run the surveillance. It would be a great way for SKY to prove they've been drug free and free of their own stored red cells.

BigBoat said:
If I were Walsh I'd start asking for more access, now that his relationship is improving with them. :) Knowing Walsh I wouldn't say that he's a "fanboy" for a few more years until all is said and done...

I want Sky to run a "big brother" style camera program with 18+ hours of daily footage off the bike with a major newspaper perhaps... Maybe one of SKY's competitors can run the surveillance. It would be a great way for SKY to prove they've been drug free and free of their own stored red cells.

You'll get your wish with the Cookson/Vaughtes/BSkyB consortium coming to a TV screen near you.

Pay image rights this way -> :cool:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The bottom line is Walsh's arguments have tremendous flaws in them. Especially the one about how fast times aren't suspicious when he spent the last decade shouting at the top of his voice that anyone who matches Armstrongs time is a doper end of.

Or scandalously his claim that those who suspect Froome are the same ones who defended Armstrong. While playing up wiggins who was someone who actually did defend Armstrong:rolleyes:

I believe there is right and wrong and her Walsh is clearly in the wrong. Pure and simple just like those who said the sun revolved around the world were wrong.

Someone who hates the clinic and doesn't think sky is doping, on twitter - the Alex Oates guy, said that Walsh thinks that because he was right on Armstrong (and we might add so were many other people) when he says Sky are clean that should be the end of the discussion. He believes he should be the pope of anti doping now and he doesn't like people not taking his opinions as gospel.

I don't know if that is the case but at times it really does look like it is.
say, about 4 years back, post beijing transition when Wiggins became a GC rider, suppose DW confirmed my thoughts in email that my belief Wiggins was a fraud. his words were to the effect of "i do not have a disagreement with that". man, i wish is stored than email.

TRENDING THREADS