• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 168 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Last night he said Porte beating Lance's time on the Madone meant nothing...directly contradicting what he said about Alberto in 2007...when he used ALberto going faster than Lance as evidence that he was doping...

Aside from the blatant hypocrisy here, does Walsh understand Watts/kg and the implication of Porte and Froome doing these times...

Like to see Gooner explain this one.

Digger said:
Last night he said Porte beating Lance's time on the Madone meant nothing...directly contradicting what he said about Alberto in 2007...when he used ALberto going faster than Lance as evidence that he was doping...

Aside from the blatant hypocrisy here, does Walsh understand Watts/kg and the implication of Porte and Froome doing these times...

It will boil down to not wasting time drinking coffee.
And Basso with a Neo pro's attitude and a peasant's mind.

the-smoker-peasant-1888.jpg!Blog.jpg

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
TailWindHome said:
And on the internet too. My god.

The point is, Ned Boulting was on Twitter a few days ago warning someone about libel because of their suggestion that Froome dopes. Walsh won't let anyone criticise Froome- but he seems only too happy to incriminate someone who has not a shred of evidence linking him to doping (yes Ferrari training, but if that's proof then we have to add Evans, Kreuziger etc).

Nathan12 said:
someone who has not a shred of evidence linking him to doping (yes Ferrari training, but if that's proof then we have to add Evans, Kreuziger etc).
And what would the problem with that be?

Nibali is pretty solidly linked to doping in my opinion. So is Kreuziger. Evans is a slightly different case because he wasn't actually seen training so his official story hasn't been disproven.

This doesn't mean Walsh doesn't display double standards, of course. The guy's been on the bandwagon for a long while. Just, let's not distort the facts to make everything an argument against him, k?

Pack Fodder

BANNED
May 14, 2014
Visit site
hrotha said:
And what would the problem with that be?

Nibali is pretty solidly linked to doping in my opinion. So is Kreuziger. Evans is a slightly different case because he wasn't actually seen training so his official story hasn't been disproven.

This doesn't mean Walsh doesn't display double standards, of course. The guy's been on the bandwagon for a long while. Just, let's not distort the facts to make everything an argument against him, k?

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I read the 'recidivist' line as pointing at contador, and the line on Nibali was a response to "you only accuse when they beat your boy" - it seemed, to me, clear enough he was saying 'well, did I accuse Nibali just for beating Froome?'. I can see how it could be read otherwise, but that is how i read it at first.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Walsh's explanation. Recidivism - there is no way he meant this in reference to Nibali imo. Look at the definition of the word. Nibali has never been caught.

Walsh knows that Nibali's link to Ferrari is more or less the same as Froome's to Leinders. Even Walsh is not that stupid (I think) although he applies different standards when it comes to climbing speeds when it suits him.

blackcat said:
is walsh on the sky bandwagon?

wrong question

he never hopped on but he was never off the bandwagon.

and why is Lemond giving Sky advice and talking about Wiggins. I thought he was anti-doping? huh <puzzledeyes>
Digger said:
Lemond is a monumental hypocrite...
I donot know if he was on the Sky bandwagon or not but he is certainly on the Froome bandwagon. The way he defends Froome (He has not done the same for Wiggins) it is clear that he has lost objectivity in the whole discussion. As a journalist, it is not his job to defend Froome, it is Sky's and he is supposed to do investigate and ask uncomfortable questions. Frankly he has reduced himself to Froome's PRO:rolleyes:.
Lemond's comment comes from his own experience i suppose when he was sidelined for others. He may be merely empathizing with Wiggins

Digger said:

For Contador to beat Froome at this Tour he'll have to ride as fast if not faster than he did in 2007.

And as you know those speeds are "illogical" :rolleyes:

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
I thought the following was interesting, given the recent Froome book:

After identifying himself as the conductor of the orchestra, he then expresses one of the team’s core values. He deliberately picks a senior staff member, operations manager Carsten Jeppesen, to make the point. ‘If in our orchestra Carsten isn’t playing his violin properly it is my responsibility to come along and say, “Look, Carsten, we need to have a chat.”

‘What I mustn’t do is speak to Mario [Pafundi] and say, “You know what, Carsten’s ****ing this up,” because then Mario might say, “Yeah, he’s always ****ing things up,” and instead of my dealing with the problem we make it worse by talking to other people, who in turn talk to even more people.’

So, in this team, *****ing about colleagues will not be tolerated. Every suggestion is coated with a sense of what seems entirely reasonable. ‘We have come here without our wives, partners, children, and now for the next three weeks we have to make sure that we don’t allow our personal lives to affect our jobs.

Inside Team Sky, page 24

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
I thought the following was interesting, given the current inhaler-gate:

After Peters’s interview, Leinders was then interviewed by Richard Freeman, another doctor, who quizzed the Belgian on his medical skills and was impressed. Peters and Freeman recommended Leinders be hired and Brailsford offered a contract that meant he could be asked to work for up to eighty days in 2011. He worked sixty-seven days for Team Sky that year, starting with the Tour of Oman and covering some one-day races in Belgium, the Giro d’Italia and the Vuelta.

He was liked by the riders for his ability and admired by the management for his professionalism. If he treated a rider for an injury he would follow up with phone calls and advice after the race. If the truth and reconciliation movement within cycling was looking for a poster boy, Leinders might have been it. Sky found him in tune with their policies and keen to make a contribution.

Peters insists that Leinders was scrupulously ethical in his time with Sky. ‘We agreed as a team that if a rider, suffering from asthma, got into trouble with pollen we would pull him out of the race rather than apply for a therapeutic use exemption on his behalf.

‘Once, one of our riders was in this situation and the doctor got in touch with me and asked if we could get an exemption because the guy was in a bad way but was very keen to finish the race.
‘Using my discretion, I said “Okay.”
‘It was Geert who rang me afterwards to tell me I was wrong.
‘“We’ve got to have consistency,” he said.

Inside Team Sky, page 72

Dear Wiggo said:

It may not amount to much but the question is; did Walsh know of Froome's asthma? If so why wasn't it mentioned. And if not, will they have their first fight?

But all in all just proves both books were a old of horseshisse.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
not that i have had the misfortune of reading the book, but this was not interesting (the book) this was utterly banal spin marketing and propaganda like bill stapleton spoke about Armstrongs apotheosis post that Vuelta podium in 1998.

sorry, who else made a third spot in the 2011 Vuelta? history repeating?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
See Brendan Gallagher (the Telegraph) has done a Walsh

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Team-Sky-Way/dp/0007544731

Sky buying journalists..........:confused:

Gallagher was not 'onside' in the early days but nothing a book deal wouldn't sort. His gushing about Sky has been as 'drivelling' as Walsh's.
most definitely.

here's the abstract. pass the sick bucket.
From the no.1 team in cycling, this is the ultimate guide for enthusiasts and sports people of all stripes – offering the tips and secrets that deliver an edge; from training methods, and equipment maintenance, to nutrition, tactics, and psychology

How does Sir Bradley Wiggins structure his diet in the days leading up to a major race? What are the secrets of Team Sky’s mechanics as they set up the team’s kit for ideal racing conditions? How does Sir Dave Brailsford plot his team’s strategy at each stage to deliver them to victory? Team Sky have quickly established themselves as the leading team in road cycling and in THE TEAM SKY CYCLING BIBLE they will answer these and countless other questions that give them the edge in their field. Sharing the top tips and strategies that have made them the no.1 team, this book will help cyclists and sports enthusiasts of all stripes perform to their highest level.
Fully illustrated with step-by-step guides as well input from key members of the team – including riders as well as mechanics, team chefs and kit men -THE TEAM SKY CYCLING BIBLE is the must-have guide book for anyone who wants to bring out the best in their sporting performance.
wonder what's in there on tactics. "take the lead at foot of the mountain, keep your main opponents out of the wind during the climb, allow them to take fulll advantage of your slipstream, then finish them off with a mutant sprint"

sniper said:
most definitely.

here's the abstract. pass the sick bucket.

wonder what's in there on tactics. "take the lead at foot of the mountain, keep your main opponents out of the wind during the climb, allow them to take fulll advantage of your slipstream, then finish them off with a mutant sprint"

Which was an Armstrong tactic. He'd bring them close, give them access so they could write articles on the "internal workings". The "haters" would be marginalised and snuffed out.

So 2002 but very effective.

Pack Fodder

BANNED
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:

If the problem was bad enough to require 16 puffs in a day (the level needed to require a TUE), I think pulling the rider only makes sense, surely.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
such a rip off, pandering to the idiots who are enthralled by the super secret sky science training

sniper said:
lol

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I think it's out of order and wrong of Kimmage to be throwing his smart *** comments towards Jeremy Whittle just now.

The mind boggles.