• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 212 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Funny how Walsh called Geert Leinders "a poster boy". He said that this now banned for life doctor was in tune with their policies and keen to make a contribution. OUCH!!!

It cannot be a coincidence that Leinders arrival at the same time as Sky become a GT winning team. Things like that do not happen in pro cycling.

Wow! Walsh is some piece of work!! :eek:

Walsh has become Armstrong!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ballester-cries-foul-over-armstrong-biopic-the-program/

"They can censor as they see fit and make the journalist David against the world, but they cannot disguise or misrepresent the facts: we were two, 50-50, in writing," the French journalist recently told LeMonde. “It’s an eight-year partnership trampled.”

Ballester and publisher La Martiniere have hired an attorney to represent them in the matter. Thibault de Montbrial sent a letter to Studio Canal, the French producer and distributor of Stephen Frears film, but has yet to receive a response, according to LeMonde.

“Pierre Ballester is the victim of a form of historical revisionism that recalls the days when the Politburo was disappearing pictures of opponents to the Soviet regime," de Montbrial told the LeMonde.

Ballester claims Walsh called him and asked him to sign away his rights to the story, especially incidents the pair wrote about in L.A. Confidentiel: Les secrets de Lance Armstrong in 2004 and L.A. Officiel in 2006, but the French journalist declined. Ballester told LeMonde he didn’t hear from Walsh again.

De Montbrial said he expects a “swift and constructive” response to his letter. “…if not I will take all appropriate legal action," he said.

Likewise, former pro Christophe Bassons, who famously crossed Armstrong and cycling’s omerta in his own newspaper column – then paid the price – said he was contacted by the film studio and asked to sign over the rights to his story. Basson said after he declined, the studio did not contact him again.

“I received a contract all in English asking me to assign rights over my life for a dollar,” Bassons told LeMonde. “I replied via my lawyer that it was out of question. Since then I have had no news.”

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I repeat: I will laugh so hard when he falls.

Disgusting, and to be frank, so dissappointing. With this he proves the idiots here, inclusif moi, were right.

And, to be clear, Pierre did the dogs works for LA Confidentiel, at the time a FRENCH book.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Fearless Greg Lemond said:

Disgusting, and to be frank, so dissappointing. With this he proves the idiots here, inclusif moi, were right.

And, to be clear, Pierre did the dogs works for LA Confidentiel, at the time a FRENCH book.

Yes Ballestre did the heavy lifting on LA Confidential and how gracious of him now to say it was 50/50.

No doubt Walsh will keep quiet.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:

Yes Ballestre did the heavy lifting on LA Confidential and how gracious of him now to say it was 50/50.

He's busy writing Paula's latest public defense. Please leave a message after the tone and he'll ask you to sign away the rights to your message for free.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Dear Wiggo said:
Benotti69 said:

He's busy writing Paula's latest public defense. Please leave a message after the tone and he'll ask you to sign away the rights to your message for free.

:D

Would not surprise me if he was penning a Froome 2015 TdF win book, a team Wiggins book, a Brailsford book.....

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
With all these lawsuits, Walsh should start a legal defense fund. Walsh Truthiness Fund. First WTF fundraiser: a nutella dinner featuring pineapple-juice-based cocktails. Speeches from the great journalistic crusader himself. Afterwards, everybody bids to win such treasures as a special pillow autographed by Dawg, a counseling session with Steve Peters, or a week's stay in LRP's motorhome.

Come on folks, step right up. Start the bidding now!

(Lance will be first in line for the inner chimp therapy session.)

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re:

Beech Mtn said:
With all these lawsuits, Walsh should start a legal defense fund. Walsh Truthiness Fund. First WTF fundraiser: a nutella dinner featuring pineapple-juice-based cocktails. Speeches from the great journalistic crusader himself. Afterwards, everybody bids to win such treasures as a special pillow autographed by Dawg, a counseling session with Steve Peters, or a week's stay in LRP's motorhome.

Come on folks, step right up. Start the bidding now!

(Lance will be first in line for the inner chimp therapy session.)

WTF QFT

LaFlorecita said:
thehog said:
Walsh has become Armstrong!
:eek:

Walsh wanted to understand what made Armstrong, Armstrong. So he put himself in the same position of making up fantasy for money. Wow, Walsh is super motivated now to keep the tale going and the tail wagging. Now he gets it.

As Cyndi Lauper once said on Side 1, Track 1 of the She's so Unsual LP - "Money Changes Everything (yeah)".

2yl3a1g.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: fessing

fmk_RoI said:
thehog said:
Walsh on Twitter is the "author" of Seven Deadly Sins. Appears he's done a Lance on ex-teammate Pierre.

Ballester had nothing to do with the writing of Seven Deadly Sins. That's all Walsh, all the way. Ballester co-authored with Walsh LA Confidentiel, LA Officiel, and Le Sale Tour.

Walsh did not take anything from LA Confidential and use it in SDS?

fmk_RoI said:
thehog said:
Walsh on Twitter is the "author" of Seven Deadly Sins. Appears he's done a Lance on ex-teammate Pierre.

Ballester had nothing to do with the writing of Seven Deadly Sins. That's all Walsh, all the way. Ballester co-authored with Walsh LA Confidentiel, LA Officiel, and Le Sale Tour.

7DS was based on the previous books which Ballester conducted the research and was co-author. Walsh hasn't provided credit where credit was due.

The book appeared shortly after the Lance confession, it didn't just appear from nowhere because Walsh conducted the research in 3 weeks.

thehog said:
Good work by Walsh on Bassons as well. Write about him as a hero then pay him nothing. Class all the way from Walsh.

It strikes me that Walsh is on a lose-lose one here. For LA Confidentiel he got shot to pieces for having made a payment to Emma O'Reilly, now people want to shoot him to pieces for not making a payment for Christophe Bassons. People who - it should be noted - would be advised to check who actually offered Bassons a buck for his story: it wasn't Walsh, it was Studio Canal et al, the producers of the film. Once Walsh sold the film rights to Seven Deadly Sins he was pretty much out of the picture (apart from shilling for it, which most authors do, regardless of what they think of the picture, as it helps sales of the book).

fmk_RoI said:
thehog said:
Good work by Walsh on Bassons as well. Write about him as a hero then pay him nothing. Class all the way from Walsh.

It strikes me that Walsh is on a lose-lose one here. For LA Confidentiel he got shot to pieces for having made a payment to Emma O'Reilly, now people want to shoot him to pieces for not making a payment for Christophe Bassons. People who - it should be noted - would be advised to check who actually offered Bassons a buck for his story: it wasn't Walsh, it was Studio Canal et al, the producers of the film. Once Walsh sold the film rights to Seven Deadly Sins he was pretty much out of the picture (apart from shilling for it, which most authors do, regardless of what they think of the picture, as it helps sales of the book).

It was Lance who tried to shoot Walsh to pieces for paying O'Reilly's expenses. As we now know that Walsh also double crossed Emma which she wasn't happy about. She now has forgiven Lance but not Walsh.

Not sure the point you're making here. Whatever it is, its a poor one.

Benotti69 said:

thehog said:
7DS was based on the previous books which Ballester conducted the research and was co-author. Walsh hasn't provided credit where credit was due.

The book appeared shortly after the Lance confession, it didn't just appear from nowhere because Walsh conducted the research in 3 weeks.

Seven Deadly Sins is not the story of the fall of Lance Armstrong. It's the story of David Walsh and his role in the fall. Walsh writes about many people who were part of that story, people like Emma O'Reilly and Besty Andreu and Sandro Donati and Pierre Ballester. It is not forensic, in the way LA Confidentiel was forensic, it's more about process.

Even where Walsh did rework LA Confidentiel, in From Lance to Landis, he left out the parts that were pure Ballester and stuck to the parts that were his, and where he spoke of things that involved Ballester he gave due credit.

I am among the many blocked by Walsh on Twitter, for God knows what reason. But if we're going to criticise the man it would help to get the critisicm correct.

fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:

thehog said:

Seven Deadly Sins is not the story of the fall of Lance Armstrong. It's the story of David Walsh and his role in the fall. Walsh writes about many people who were part of that story, people like Emma O'Reilly and Besty Andreu and Sandro Donati and Pierre Ballester. It is not forensic, in the way LA Confidentiel was forensic, it's more about process.

Even where Walsh did rework LA Confidentiel, in From Lance to Landis, he left out the parts that were pure Ballester and stuck to the parts that were his, and where he spoke of things that involved Ballester he gave due credit.

I am among the many blocked by Walsh on Twitter, for God knows what reason. But if we're going to criticise the man it would help to get the critisicm correct.

Likewise, it would be good if you had your facts correct. It becomes annoying correcting you time and time again.

Walsh simply performed a cut and paste job from his previous books which were researched and co-authored by Ballster.

Its fairly straightforward, even for your good self.

Unfortunately, I got none of those. What we ended up with was, at best, a cut and paste hatchet job, at worst a cynical attempt to cash in with the minimal of work.

Seven Deadly Sins isnt a story, its a collection of short stories, botched together with seemingly little thought. After 200 pages we get onto a section about Stephen Swart, half way through it he says

"On the team with Swart was a young American by the name of Lance Armstrong"

By 200 pages, we know who Armstrong is, and the fact that Walsh hasnt taken the time to revise the text and make it flow, add some sort of continuity simply highlights the cut and paste job he has employed.

In doing this, and my biggest annoyance was the somewhat haphazard timeline. One minute Times of London have settled with Armstrongs Lawyers, the next minute we are back pre release of the Times article, then suddenly we are post settlement again, then back in time to the court case. A chapter later as we move to discuss the 2005 retested epo samples suddenly we whizz back pre LA Confidentiel again. With each fresh short story we are re-acquainted with the background to the story, and after a while it becomes not only frustrating, but annoying.

A little over two thirds of the way in you hit upon the section about Floyd. Some of the information regarding Kyle Leogrande is interesting, and new, he touches on Joe Papp and offers interesting background (this was probably the best bit of the book), but then he lets it all down by referring to Floyds book incorrectly as "False Positive" which rather shatters your opinion of the entire section.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/rRW22BYPZEB3V1

TRENDING THREADS