• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Walsh on the Sky bandwagon?

Page 228 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
Good news for Walsh, his movie wasn't he biggest flop in history... Lance's old buddy McConaughey has done worse :lol:
These stories are silly season pollyfiller and there's going to be more and more of them in the near future, until we all get sufficiently bored by them and realise that opening in a single cinema is significant, and of more significance is that fact that the film is also released on streaming services at the same time. (This was not true of The Program - it followed the traditional path of cinema release before other media.)

Walsh doing himself proud in the Sky book released at the end of 2013 :surprised:

30tm99w.jpg

3143rbq.jpg

Caught in a quandary now. Cannot possibly defend Wiggins so I expect him to give him plenty of criticism tomorrow. However I'll be more interested how it affects his belief in Sky/Brailsford as a whole. The release of a statement from a Wiggins 'spokesperson' was a cowardly act in itself. If you feel like you're in the right then hold a press conference/ do an interview. Wiggins and Brailsford are cowards when push comes to shove. Live by the sword, die by the sword. The wagons are circling and maybe someday someone will write a book on both the inconsistencies and the rise and fall of David Walsh himself. His career is now interlinked with maintaining the great myth of Team Sky.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ontheroad said:
Caught in a quandary now. Cannot possibly defend Wiggins so I expect him to give him plenty of criticism tomorrow. However I'll be more interested how it affects his belief in Sky/Brailsford as a whole. The release of a statement from a Wiggins 'spokesperson' was a cowardly act in itself. If you feel like you're in the right then hold a press conference/ do an interview. Wiggins and Brailsford are cowards when push comes to shove. Live by the sword, die by the sword. The wagons are circling and maybe someday someone will write a book on both the inconsistencies and the rise and fall of David Walsh himself. His career is now interlinked with maintaining the great myth of Team Sky.

I guess Walsh will have a go at Wiggins, but make sure it distances Wiggins from Sky.

Remember how Vaughters claims he never saw Wiggins in 09 when Wiggins finished 4th at the TdF.

Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
ontheroad said:

I guess Walsh will have a go at Wiggins, but make sure it distances Wiggins from Sky.

Remember how Vaughters claims he never saw Wiggins in 09 when Wiggins finished 4th at the TdF.

That would be my guess as well. He will angle the story so as to isolate Wiggins whilst not putting as much focus on the team. In my mind Brailsford has almost as many questions to answer but has said nothing to date yet. Will there be quotes from him by Walsh? The silence from Cookson is also deafening, it will be interesting to see what he says.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
this is funny as Walsh and Sky claimed, like Armstrong before that the French are old school and lazy when it comes to cycling

Antoine VAYER ‏@festinaboy Sep 15
TUE and CORTISONE was/is a typically French problem in cycling for so much long time.

Wiggins, so French so chique, such a c**t..... :lol:

Re:

MarkvW said:
Walsh is a sports reporter. He builds 'em up; he tears 'em down. When life is good he earns a living along the way. Just another amoral employee of Rupert Murdoch.

I have seen absolutely nothing from Walsh to suggest that this is the case. He will criticise Sky and their connections only when they are impossible to defend. His credibility is so heavily invested on protecting the myth that he cannot do a U turn. He is being used by the team to present a 'perception' of cleanliness yet appearing to be impartial which he is anything but, Thus he will present some criticism tomorrow because he has to, and the casual reader will use it as evidence that Walsh isn't afraid to criticise the team. The reality is different.

Reading over all the old Wiggins quotes is funny today, just reminding myself of how hypocritical this guy actually is. Won the tour and chickened out as he thought he could disappear off the radar and get away with it. He has a history for not fronting up.

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Of course cortisone has always been a problem in French cycling - and beyond.

Remember the Index of Suspicion? When Equipe ran the story they also ran a piece on the continued issue of cortisone doping and how cycling was now at 'trois vitesses' written by the FdJ doctor Gerard Guillaume who has long investigated the problems http://franceolympique.com/files/File/actions/sante/colloques/BP02.pdf

And of course Dr Mabuse is till plying his trade doling out EPO and clenbuterol http://www.francetvsport.fr/cyclisme/tour-de-france/dopage-le-docteur-mabuse-toujours-en-selle-342581

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
ontheroad said:

I would be surprised. He didn't do that with Froome's TUE.

thehog said:

Only new thing is how Freeman clammed up in response to DW's attempts to get a comment, DW seemed surprised by that as they go back a ways. Also quotes a former USPS rider who confirms Kenalog is powerful PED, along with Millar experience of the injection which is already out there.

Overall, signs of illness in early 2011 could make a case, but winning 2012 Dauphine and his book talking about his great form going into that year's TdF with no mention of illness makes case for a preventative injection very suspect.

Concludes with a swipe at Team Sky, saying they want to be seen as white have been less so. "What they did was legal but it was not right."

TeflonDub said:
thehog said:

Only new thing is how Freeman clammed up in response to DW's attempts to get a comment, DW seemed surprised by that as they go back a ways. Also quotes a former USPS rider who confirms Kenalog is powerful PED, along with Millar experience of the injection which is already out there.

Overall, signs of illness in early 2011 could make a case, but winning 2012 Dauphine and his book talking about his great form going into that year's TdF with no mention of illness makes case for a preventative injection very suspect.

Concludes with a swipe at Team Sky, saying they want to be seen as white have been less so. "What they did was legal but it was not right."

Thanks for that. I sense Walsh is pissed that they've been lying to him during his embedding at Sky. Which leads to the next question, what other BS did they tell Walsh, most likely a lot.

Good on Walsh if the article reads as you suggest.

thehog said:
TeflonDub said:

Thanks for that. I sense Walsh is pissed that they've been lying to him during his embedding at Sky. Which leads to the next question, what other BS did they tell Walsh, most likely a lot.

Yeah, just like Swart, Froome comes out clean, everybody running from Wiggins, and Walsh a bit nose out of joint with Freeman stiff-arming him and all not being what he thought it was at Sky. But I would say he's casting Wiggo off as a lone wolf as most of the team didn't know about the injections. I don't think DW will be happy if he finds out that Team Sky's medical staff enabled Wiggo's TUEs. I think he knows they did and it was Freeman, but I don't think he has fully processed the implications of that. Namely, that they brough in Leinders to brain-rape his intellectual property, but kept his name well clear of any official paperwork.

TeflonDub said:
thehog said:
TeflonDub said:

Yeah, just like Swart, Froome comes out clean, everybody running from Wiggins, and Walsh a bit nose out of joint with Freeman stiff-arming him and all not being what he thought it was at Sky. But I would say he's casting Wiggo off as a lone wolf as most of the team didn't know about the injections. I don't think DW will be happy if he finds out that Team Sky's medical staff enabled Wiggo's TUEs. I think he knows they did and it was Freeman, but I don't think he has fully processed the implications of that. Namely, that they brough in Leinders to brain-rape his intellectual property, but kept his name well clear of any official paperwork.

Thought this part was interesting re: the timing of the Wiggins statement:

Brailsford said he would end his involvement in the sport before allowing doping

At 10.25 yesterday morning I called Dr Richard Freeman, who has worked with Team Sky on and off through the last six years, who still works with British Cycling and whom I had known since that time with the team in 2013. He did not pick up. I then sent a text and he replied by saying he could not comment on confidential medical records.

I then replied: “Richard, I appreciate that but you may have seen today’s Daily Mail that links [Dr] Geert Leinders with Bradley Wiggins’ TUEs [therapeutic use exemptions]. My understanding from the time spent with the team is that you were the doctor who worked most closely with BW [Bradley Wiggins]. Not Leinders. Is my understanding correct? From that time in the team my information is that you would have been the doctor that applied for BW’s TUEs and administered the injections? I am aware and accept that nothing took place that violated anti-doping rules.”

Dr Freeman chose not to reply to the questions. Two hours later, Wiggins issued a statement clarifying that Leinders had nothing to do with the TUEs he received.

It appears as though the focus will be put into Freeman and Brailsford to answer some of the questions now. I don't see how they can wriggle their way out of this. The fact that a supposed investigative journalist like Walsh who was embedded with the team is only asking these questions because of hacked data is in itself a sad indictment though of his ability to do his job correctly in the first instance.

Re:

Digger said:
I read it all - weak as f*** he basically rehashed what we've all said.
Correct. Which for Walsh v2.0, who devotes all his energy trying to reassure the public that everything said on Twitter and here is just the ravings of conspiracy theorists, that's a major about-face.

TeflonDub said:
Digger said:
Correct. Which for Walsh v2.0, who devotes all his energy trying to reassure the public that everything said on Twitter and here is just the ravings of conspiracy theorists, that's a major about-face.

I think Walsh is upset that he has been lied to and used by Sky. He can't bring himself to say it though. It's clear Sky have been messing with him, feeding him a lot BS that he ends up printing, The Nutella story being one. Walsh could have checked he facts but he was ready just to print whatever Sky told him. I wonder if Brailsford is still BFF?

Dr. Freeman was also the Doc to tell Walsh that Froome's blood data was all clean since transformation, so that may not be true.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

thehog said:
TeflonDub said:
Digger said:

I think Walsh is upset that he has been lied to and used by Sky. He can't bring himself to say it though. It's clear Sky have been messing with him, feeding him a lot BS that he ends up printing, The Nutella story being one. Walsh could have checked he facts but he was ready just to print whatever Sky told him. I wonder if Brailsford is still BFF?

Dr. Freeman was also the Doc to tell Walsh that Froome's blood data was all clean since transformation, so that may not be true.
I remember that.
Clean blood. Meanwhile bilharzia eating away his red blood cells.

Freeman could throw any bone at Walsh and he'd run away with it like a puppy.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It all reads that Wiggins is the past and put as much distance between Wiggins and Sky now and Froome.

The question Walsh needed to ask, was if they did it with one rider, why stop there? Also if they crossed the line they drew for themselves with 'whiter than white' claims how far are they prepared to go over that line or does it matter, once crossed anything is possible.

But it appears also that Walsh wants to lay blame for TUEs at Wiggins/Freeman and leave well known doping doctor Geert Leinders out of the picture as that really puts Sky is the same light as all the other teams, which we know they are, but those teams don't have a media empire connection.

Walsh also lets Master of Detail, the brains behind the success, Sir David Brailsford, off the hook. That stinks!

I also think Walsh was explained he could become the voice of Sky or go find another paper, he signed on as the voice of Sky.

Re:

Benotti69 said:
It all reads that Wiggins is the past and put as much distance between Wiggins and Sky now and Froome.

The question Walsh needed to ask, was if they did it with one rider, why stop there? Also if they crossed the line they drew for themselves with 'whiter than white' claims how far are they prepared to go over that line or does it matter, once crossed anything is possible.

But it appears also that Walsh wants to lay blame for TUEs at Wiggins/Freeman and leave well known doping doctor Geert Leinders out of the picture as that really puts Sky is the same light as all the other teams, which we know they are, but those teams don't have a media empire connection.

Walsh also lets Master of Detail, the brains behind the success, Sir David Brailsford, off the hook. That stinks!

I also think Walsh was explained he could become the voice of Sky or go find another paper, he signed on as the voice of Sky.
Is there anywhere that we can read the full text of the article without paying for a subscription to the Sunday Times? Has anyone posted it in other places?

Irondan said:
Benotti69 said:

Is there anywhere that we can read the full text of the article without paying for a subscription to the Sunday Times? Has anyone posted it in other places?

Can I post here?

TRENDING THREADS