• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

IT'S OFFICIAL: Contador is Astana's leader

Now, IT'S OFFICIAL: Contador is Astana's leader.

-0-

If I'm correct, Armstong stated that He wanted to come back to win an 8th Tour.

So does that mean that it's Armstrong, not Contador, who needs to find another team?

I think he's referring to this from the homepage:

Bruyneel told French sports daily L'Equipe that Contador is the best Grand Tour rider, "which leaves no doubt about his leadership during the next Tour de France. The goal is to win. There is talk of a duel between [Lance] Armstrong and Contador, but what there is is a duel between ourselves and others," said Bruyneel, who also confirmed, "Armstrong is not the team's second rider. With what we saw in the Giro, that [role] is for Levi [Leipheimer]."

The Astana director added that Contador's main rivals for the Tour de France - including teammates Leipheimer, Armstrong and Andreas Klöden, plus Denis Menchov, Carlos Sastre, Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans - were "a step below" the level of the Spaniard.

Bruyneel also spoke of the possibility that Contador had been approached by Caisse d'Epargne about a move to the Spanish squad next season. "I spoke with Alberto during the Giro and [he] told me there was nothing about the rumour that he met with the Caisse d'Epargne [team]. Trust us," said Bruyneel.

I saw a photo of Lance in la Gazzetta dello Sport yesterday, which was taken at the eve of the Giro's ultimate stage in Rome. He looks too bulky still up top. So either he undergoes a radical transformation over the next month, or else it is inconcievable that he could be at a fitness level which could even challenge Contador's seat as Astana leader. This whole comback deal I'm sure is seeming like a less appealing idea now. Three years, his age...He should have stayed on the couch and drank beer.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Lol. I'll believe it when I see it. Armstrong's purpose in the Giro was preparing for the Tour and staying out of as much trouble as possible so he would be healthy in July.

The Kazakh Federation guy Proskurin says the sponsors still owe 8 million euros. They have 8 days to pay up. He says the Kazakhs are talking with a possible new sponsor, an American company who does business in Kazakhstan.

As Bruyneel said about Contador going to CdE, "anything is possible". Remember he denied the rumors of Armstrong's comeback before that was official. There is still much to be decided in the next week.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
It would be interesting if LA got dropped on a mountain and Contador was going well, what would a rider who is a mate of Contador (like Noval for instance) would be in between a rock and hard place as he would feel the need to drop back and help LA or stick with his friend who helps him have a pro contract.

What would you do?

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
It would be interesting if LA got dropped on a mountain and Contador was going well, what would a rider who is a mate of Contador (like Noval for instance) would be in between a rock and hard place as he would feel the need to drop back and help LA or stick with his friend who helps him have a pro contract.

What would you do?

Chris Horner stayed with Levi, during the Giro, and Contador is a better bet than Levi in any case. My prediction: the team races for Contador, with Lance having some leeway to do what he wants as long as it's not getting in the way of the team's tactics. Maybe he'll try and pick up a stage somewhere.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The leader will be picked following the time trial in Monaco. The leader will be picked again following the stage to Andorra. And again and again. It doesn't matter who wears the number 1 on their back, it is who is the strongest rider.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
Bruyneel told French sports daily L'Equipe that Contador is the best Grand Tour rider, "which leaves no doubt about his leadership during the next Tour de France. The goal is to win. There is talk of a duel between [Lance] Armstrong and Contador, but what there is is a duel between ourselves and others," said Bruyneel, who also confirmed, "Armstrong is not the team's second rider. With what we saw in the Giro, that [role] is for Levi [Leipheimer]."

The Astana director added that Contador's main rivals for the Tour de France - including teammates Leipheimer, Armstrong and Andreas Klöden, plus Denis Menchov, Carlos Sastre, Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans - were "a step below" the level of the Spaniard.

Bruyneel also spoke of the possibility that Contador had been approached by Caisse d'Epargne about a move to the Spanish squad next season. "I spoke with Alberto during the Giro and [he] told me there was nothing about the rumour that he met with the Caisse d'Epargne [team]. Trust us," said Bruyneel.

And from these statements everyone is reading that the leadership is clearly defined? Its one of the most muddied statements I've ever read, its says nothing to back anything up. Its called propaganda that is stated to confuse or make people think what they are assuming but there is no clear statement. Or am I just not seeing it?

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
And from these statements everyone is reading that the leadership is clearly defined? Its one of the most muddied statements I've ever read, its says nothing to back anything up. Its called propaganda that is stated to confuse or make people think what they are assuming but there is no clear statement. Or am I just not seeing it?

Agreed.

Its also to hide what a s*ithouse Giro they had. Two days after the Giro they are talking the same Tour krap again trying to build a mini-drama into the Tour. Sastre, Menchov and co. had a great Giro. These are the riders that should be spoken about.

After Astana have a bad Tour what will they speak of then ?

I also noticed this, from the same piece.
For several months the Kazakh government hasn't fulfilled its obligations to pay brokers and assistants of the squad, which led the UCI to examine the grounds for possible suspension of Astana's ProTour licence.

So, do we draw the conclusion the riders were being paid, after all?
In which case...........

If I had to pick a team leader, based upon the Giro showing, I'd be sticking with Contador, too.
Unless Lance has a visit from the "11th Hour" boys, scheduled.:rolleyes:

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
For several months the Kazakh government hasn't fulfilled its obligations to pay brokers and assistants of the squad, which led the UCI to examine the grounds for possible suspension of Astana's ProTour licence.

In which case...........

If I had to pick a team leader, based upon the Giro showing, I'd be sticking with Contador, too.

Perhaps Lance could pay them from the $2million Giro fund ?

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't get this confusion aspect I think Bruyneel was pretty clear. Contador is #1 Levi is #2 and Lance is #3 how clearer than that do you want it

A

Anonymous

franciep10 said:
I don't get this confusion aspect I think Bruyneel was pretty clear. Contador is #1 Levi is #2 and Lance is #3 how clearer than that do you want it

I don't think it is that clear: "the Astana director added that Contador's main rivals for the Tour de France - including teammates Leipheimer, Armstrong and Andreas Klöden, plus Denis Menchov, Carlos Sastre, Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans - were "a step below" the level of the Spaniard."

He lists Leipheimer, Armstrong, and Kloden as Contador's main rivals? Clear as mud.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Surely Bruyneel wouldn't lie to the cycling public and support Armstrong ahead of Contador as team leader. ;) As he said in his interview ... "Trust us". :rolleyes::D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
...including teammates Leipheimer, Armstrong and Andreas Klöden, plus Denis Menchov, Carlos Sastre, Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans - were "a step below" the level of the Spaniard."

He lists Leipheimer, Armstrong, and Kloden as Contador's main rivals? Clear as mud.

Maybe not much clearer than mud...but that's a pretty big endorsement paid to AC by the boss...considering that LL and LA are included in the lower step list, and the fact that just about a month ago, the party line was "the strongest rider will lead".

Or it could just be damage control/politicking :confused:

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

In which case...........

It won't take a miracle for Lance to be in better shape in the TdF than he was in this Giro. I would find it much more surprising if he wasn't. His main target clearly is the Tour no matter what was hyped before the Giro. That means his peak is in July and he should be only at 70-80% atm. If my assumption is correct and Lance really is at that level atm I'm afraid we'll see Lance battling it out with Contador in July. Remember what Ullrich used to look like in the Giro when he used it as preparation for the TdF? He usually dropped out before the end and only gave his best in the TTs, IIRC.

Edit: Just realized what I was saying there...I don't think it possible for Armstrong to be equal with Contador but he might make it top-5 and be in good enough shape to get some support from Astana. Contador still seems so much better than the others that he's my clear pick for the win.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't really remember, but when did Ulle take part in Giro? 2006? But later that year there was an OP scandal, so he didn't have a chance to start Le tour.

Edit: BTW, what about Kloden? We had the information about Freiburg clinic, but it seems like UCI or ASO don't give a damn?

jaylew said:
Armstrong is not the team's second rider. With what we saw in the Giro, that [role] is for Levi [Leipheimer]."

I really don't understand this statement. Levi did very badly in the Giro. I think that Bruyneel is lying a bit here. Perhaps he is hoping that the other riders will let Armstrong go, so he can win like Sastre did.

The GCW said:
Now, IT'S OFFICIAL: Contador is Astana's leader.

-0-

If I'm correct, Armstong stated that He wanted to come back to win an 8th Tour.

So does that mean that it's Armstrong, not Contador, who needs to find another team?

Why the shock? It's not that hard. Contador: Won all 3 grand tours in 2 years time.
Armstrong: Came out of retirement, and finished 12th in the Giro, more than 16 minutes behind Denis Menchov, normally not the biggest threat to Contador.

The choice is easy. Contador >> Armstrong.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Okay, Leipheimer did not deliver and couldn't live up to his role as podium contender. But he still ended the Giro in 6th place (which is not that bad), whereas Armstrong was only 12th. So he did better, period. Sure, Armstrong is still working on his form, he still has a lot of margin to improve, while Leipheimer should be in top shape and didn't need to recover from a collarbone fracture, yaddayaddayadda. Did it occur to you that Leipheimer most likely didn't went all out in the last week of the Giro, when he realised he wouldn't make it onto the podium? He still needed the training in sight of the Tour, so that's probably why he still tried to hold on to the leading group uphill. But seeing what he did in last years Vuelta and the 2007 Tour, right now he's got better papers than Armstrong in the team hierarchy. So it's only logical that Bruyneel places Leipheimer above Armstrong - for now. If in reality Levi considers himself to be in that position as well, that's another question.

And I am pretty sure that there won't be a single rider in the Tour that will underestimate Armstrong. The element of surprise will be the one aid he can't count on ;)

TRENDING THREADS