• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Its own thread, Contador to leave Astana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm kind of meh concerning Contador, other than my respect for his spectacular talent.

But I am glad it looks like he will be able to get away from Astana. The guy already got screwed out of one TdF--young as he is, you only get so many Grand Tours in your prime years and I want to see anyone with the talent to win have the best opportunity to do so.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I didn't know about this rule until today. I wonder if AC leaves Astana, how hard teams will try to get this stricken from the book.

There should be some interesting moves now. I read that there is speculation that Vaughters might allow Sky to buy out Wiggo's contract if AC were available. He was asking $2 million, so that could go a long way to funding Alberto. At least one more co-sponsor could easily be lined up.

In the most likely scenario, he's going to Caisse. The interesting part of that is they're one of the 5 teams that missed the deadline too.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
iliveonnitro said:
Since the UCI now declared Contador is free to leave Astana...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-confirms-contador-can-leave-astana

My guess is Caisse.

If Garmin signs Contador, cycling is dead.

Not in the least! In fact, wouldn't it be interesting to see Contador in California, warming up for the TdF, by snatching the ToC title! Now that it's being proclaimed a Grand Tour, it would be a fitting trophy to round out his collection.:p

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
racerralph said:
Not in the least! In fact, wouldn't it be interesting to see Contador in California, warming up for the TdF, by snatching the ToC title! Now that it's being proclaimed a Grand Tour, it would be a fitting trophy to round out his collection.:p

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that one to.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Caisse is the place.

Nothing else makes sense. They're big and powerful and funded and loaded with Spanish riders who know how to win big tours. Plus, they'll want Contador because it's an even bet whether Valverde will escape suspension from the UCI. Does he really want to ride for the Belgians at Quickstep? Garmin is set with Wiggins and Vande Velde and Vaughters isn't going to wreck their anti-drug stance by bringing in a suspicious rider like Alberto. Caisse is the place.

Twisted Spoke at http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that one to.

Just wait until Contador wins his 3rd Tour next July andh e will be the first rider to do the "Tour of California and Tour de France" double. Oh how Levi must be fuming at that.

racerralph said:

That might the one way for ToC to still get some attention. If they can get an early teaser between Contador and retirementshack before the Tour then some people might actually watch it.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
If he goes to Garmin the Bike industry will thrive and coverage will increase

I am not saying I want him to

rumor has it that Contador thinks JV is a tool however

A

Anonymous

Boeing said:
If he goes to Garmin the Bike industry will thrive and coverage will increase

I am not saying I want him to

rumor has it that Contador thinks JV is a tool however

Rumor has it that Contador is a great judge of character.

Status
Not open for further replies.