• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Itzulia Basque Country 2021, Spain, April 5 - April 10

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The moment the race was lost:

phGUuzO.png

You mean the moment the race was Won!

See, if TJV had the yellow jersey before the stage they would have been in UAE position today and we'd had everybody against TJV. No way they keep the jersey that way, although Vingegaard was amazingly strong today. They tried a different approach and it paid off.

It has to be said Astana was the team that ignited the attack. So thanks to them we got to see a fantastic stage. I think Jumbo would have had a big probability to take yellow even if they had waited for the last two climbs. McNulty just wasn't up to the task and I don't see how Pogačar would had taken 20s to Roglic. They are both evenly matched at the moment.

Congrats to Gaudu on the stage win, he deserved it. A fantastic 2nd place overall for Vingegaard in the end. Very strong for the whole week. Strong performances from Valverde and Carthy (is he doing the Giro?). I actually expected better from Yates in this race. It shows he is probably still a level below Pogi and Rogla as a GC rider. Disappointed with Landa's performance today. But I still expect him to be strong in the Giro.

Oh, we Slovenians love Roglic so much that in case Pogacar group would catch him, in some twisted way even Vingegaard's victory would be more acceptable than Pogacar's for some people here.
Yes, crazy, I know ... but sadly not far from the truth. :disappointed:

... I'm still dreaming of a world where Danes cheer for Slovenians, Slovenians for Frenchmen, Frenchmen for Colombians and Colombians for Belgians. But sometimes in this forum I'm losing hope.

I usually don't do that.

Instead I'm still dreaming of a world where Danes cheer for Slovenians, Slovenians for Frenchmen, Frenchmen for Colombians and Colombians for Belgians. But sometimes in this forum I'm losing hope.
It sounds distinctively German to me ;-) to dream of a world without nations, without (different) languages, a global mono-culture.

PS: Congratulations with your 150-year anniversary, even if you are a bit ambivalent about celebrating it.

Last edited:
I wanted today to be a learning experience that would pay dividends down the road for Brandon Mc. I'm not too sure it will be a great learning experience.

I'm not a believer in the "that which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger" saying. IMO: difficult events might make us more aware of how to deal with difficult events, but not necessarily any stronger/better.

I guess the positive thing that can come out of this is Brandon being able to determine his 'place' in cycling at this point and decide what to do moving forward (he is only 23).

Frans Maassen 300IQ 4d chess Grandmaster confirmed
The truth is, the JV strategy was the best if they wanted to screw Pog. Not sure if revenge or anything but I'm sure TJV isn't a fan. No wonder Pog was upset because of their tactics, saying 'they made mistakes'. He knew he would probably get screwed by the fact that McNulty was leader. When Roglic went, Pog didn't follow because McNulty was still hanging. In tdf tho, this won't happen again.

I think Roglic was strong enough to survive any attacks today even without letting McNulty go away. What they achieved tho with this strategy is Vingegaard's 2nd place.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You think he wasn't amazing? He was in front for about 60k and most guys who just followed couldn't hang on.

Oh, he was strong as an ox, as usual, but peak Pogacar would have bridged across at some point, even if he had to solo. He didn't gain on Roglic who pulled solo, too, for about 80 percent of the last 45 km or whenever the cassure happened. He just seemed to be below his peak, starting with the opening TT.

His real mistake, obviously, was not sticking to Roglic like glue for the whole stage. I didn't think McNulty would make it to the final climb and I think most people here didn't either, so why let Roglic ride away? It's not clear he would have gained 23 seconds on Roglic but he'd have had a better chance starting the last climb on equal footing rather than having pulled for an hour and wasting his energy trying to get someone else in that group to ride...

I wanted today to be a learning experience that would pay dividends down the road for Brandon Mc. I'm not too sure it will be a great learning experience.

I'm not a believer in the "that which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger" saying. IMO: difficult events might make us more aware of how to deal with difficult events, but not necessarily any stronger/better.

I guess the positive thing that can come out of this is Brandon being able to determine his 'place' in cycling at this point and decide what to do moving forward (he is only 23).

He just needs a little bit more top end on the climbs. But if you step back a bit, he was going against the 2 strongest GT riders in the world plus GT podium favorites like Carapaz Valverde, Yates, Landa, Carthy etc. I don't think McNulty should just throw in the towel on winning stage races but take a close look at his preparations and energy expenditure and see where he could do better.

He may have just had a bad day.

Also the pressure of wearing the leaders jersey on the final day, has messed with many a young rider's head.

I wouldn't write him off yet - consistency in the mountains tends to improve with age, and he may yet become a contender.

Reactions: Carols and jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS