• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Itzulia Basque Country 2023 (April 3-8)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Right now it looks like a golden opportunity for a lot of riders to take a WT stage race win for dudes who didn't get one yet. Route is quite interesting, stage 3 and 5 are better than I expected based on the official profiles, but stages 1, 2 and 4 are just very underwhelming, which is a bit sad if you take out the ITT.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Some bad news: stage 5 has taken a major nerf with the cancellation of the penultimate hill. Another (not actually bad) change is that stage 3 has had a cat. 3 added mid-stage by the looks, the text isn't really clear here. Will update the OPs with the climb changes, new profiles are not currently available. Very disappointing that this happens so late once again, just like with Catalunya, WT races can and should do better.

I keep getting server errors when trying to update the stage 5 post but this is what's changed:

It backs immediately into the climb to Arriandi. This climb has been removed and replaced with a short flattish section.
8x6BtX8.png

This is then followed by the climb into Katia. It is the first half of the climb to Autzagana, of which all profiles to be found online are outdated following the conversion of the road to an expressway. The route follows the new service road, which is surprisingly steep early on due to the need to detour around a gas station. The approach to this climb is now also different: drag up the bottom part of the highway, down a short but steep exit ramp, then joining the profile below at the start of the 11.7% section. So a slightly easier climb that's further from the one that now links into it...
xDuy6RN.png

The stage 3 post has been correctly updated.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Agreed regarding the route remarks. As for Vinge, it's too early anyway. Dauphine is the place where first glimpses of the monster should appear.
I disagree. If Vinge looks like how he looked at PN, there should be some serious questions withing JV about the TdF. Besides, last year he was not a monster, if you are refering to that, Pog was just underwhelming (both tactically and a bit physically I guess).

I disagree. If Vinge looks like how he looked at PN, there should be some serious questions withing JV about the TdF. Besides, last year he was not a monster, if you are refering to that, Pog was just underwhelming (both tactically and a bit physically I guess).

Please tell me, what superb performances did Vinge have before last year's Dauphine? None. His level this years looks similar (and in February he actually had some impressive rides). As for the Tour, he was a monster who absolutely crushed all non-Pogacar guys. Even if Pog had been in full flight on Granon it would still have been a very tight contest that Vinge could have won (Hautacam was very impressive even If Pog was suffering from the crash a bit).

Please tell me, what superb performances did Vinge have before last year's Dauphine? None. His level this years looks similar (and in February he actually had some impressive rides). As for the Tour, he was a monster who absolutely crushed all non-Pogacar guys. Even if Pog had been in full flight on Granon it would still have been a very tight contest that Vinge could have won (Hautacam was very impressive even If Pog was suffering from the crash a bit).
My point exactly. He has not had any. At the Dauphine he was a bit better than a hurt Rogla. At the TdF, I believe, the level of all the riders was fairly low and Vinge's level was very good so he won. But this year, if he is at the same level as last year's TdF, I do not think he can win.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS