• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Itzulia Basque Country 2024, April 1-6

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He was clearly in better form in the TT, so if he drops the crash is likely the culprit.
But the TT was perfect for him, literally his area of expertise so we don't know how much that says. Look at the TTT at Paris-Nice, he also did very well there.

But I do agree that the fall will have an impact. I just don't think he should quit the race because of it.

But the TT was perfect for him, literally his area of expertise so we don't know how much that says. Look at the TTT at Paris-Nice, he also did very well there.

But I do agree that the fall will have an impact. I just don't think he should quit the race because of it.
Depends from injuries. If there's a chance of aggravating them even more, or he experiences knee/joint problems, he should quit. He's goal is TdF and it would be very unfortunate, if he would loose too much time in preparation for it because he tried to ride through them in this (maybe already lost) race. He needs to get to TdF 100% if he wants to even sniff a chance for podium.

Reactions: ftm and Brullnux

I suppose it depends on how he feels. If he's hurt to the point at which continuing is an exercise in futility for GC and may even hamper recovery, then he'll likely pull out.

For me, no matter how you look at it, his form has come a long way since PN. He himself emphasized how much work he put in since then upon winning the opening TT of this race.

Last edited:
2.9km sounds really short to make a significant impact even for vingegaard. It would surprise me if he can open a gap big enough to hold off a chasing remco on the flat, but of course the hurt roglic and ayuso might suffer.
Only the last 5 kilometres or so are flat, and the last 1.8 kilometres have a tailwind. I'm betting big on the skeleton, I hope he doesn't disappoint.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Waiting for the leader when he crashes is correct on all fronts (morally & practically).

It's all well & good saying 'let them race' but there's a massive slippery slope which every DS is well aware of, i.e. if the leader isn't safe when he has a problem, then anything goes. It means if the maillot jaune in the TdF stops for a nature break, why not just get on the front & drop him with 100k to go? After all, he should have gone to the WC before the stage!

That's an extreme theoretical example but the philosophy is the same.
Unless the commisaires have neutralised the race, you are always allowed to attack.

Spectator: Sepp, please sign my kid!

GKUC2KJXYAI3HXx