• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A bad day today. I feel sorry for Jakob. He's put all his eggs in the TDF basket and unless he refinds his form tomorrow, it looks like the sacrifices he's made throughout the spring season has been for nothing (or at least he has achieved a better understanding of what his priorities should be)

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
And the hype quitely dies, again.
Its mostly due to the Danish media acting like he has podium chances when in reality he really doesn't. They are pretty stupid sometimes tbh and pretty chauvinistic, but that goes for everyone in the media, I guess. 2017 was his best chance at a top-5 ever and he crashed. Bad luck, but I hope he focuses on other things than the Tour.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Its mostly due to the Danish media acting like he has podium chances when in reality he really doesn't. They are pretty stupid sometimes tbh and pretty chauvinistic, but that goes for everyone in the media, I guess. 2017 was his best chance at a top-5 ever and he crashed. Bad luck, but I hope he focuses on other things than the Tour.

You wouldn't think there were other riders in the Tour than the five Danes, Sagan, Froome, Dumoulin (which can explain us a little about Søren Kragh) or Quintana.

It's just pathetic.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

You wouldn't think there were other riders in the Tour than the five Danes, Sagan, Froome, Dumoulin (which can explain us a little about Søren Kragh) or Quintana.

It's just pathetic.

Also Bardet. Porte, when he was actually in the race. Cavendish and Kittel, when they were in the race, Gaviria and Groenewegen, Antwan Tolhoek...
Not to mention Nibali, who's clearly Rolf Sørensen's "pet rider" (and basically all the Colombians are Leth's "pet riders")

Rolf Sørensen has a hard time criticizing Nibali, I don't think he has ever done that. Movistar on the other hand, its pretty obvious he dislikes them and its more or less always their fault if he wasn't amused with the stage. Lmao

Back to Fuglsang, lets see if he tries to go in the break tomorrow or just hides in the peloton.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Rolf Sørensen has a hard time criticizing Nibali, I don't think he has ever done that. Movistar on the other hand, its pretty obvious he dislikes them and its more or less always their fault if he wasn't amused with the stage. Lmao

Back to Fuglsang, lets see if he tries to go in the break tomorrow or just hides in the peloton.

And most importantly, Valverde shall always be subservient to others because he doesn't win races with a high-calibre opponent field, apparently.

It was only in the Vuelta 2016 that Rolf believed he could win a GT for some reason (after having ridden both the Giro and the Tour).

He's quite mysterious at times but I generally like him.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

And most importantly, Valverde shall always be subservient to others because he doesn't win races with a high-calibre opponent field, apparently.

It was only in the Vuelta 2016 that Rolf believed he could win a GT for some reason (after having ridden both the Giro and the Tour).

He's quite mysterious at times but I generally like him.
I was probably most annoyed with him in 2017 when he was 100% it was all for Quintana when most knew that Valverde was the real leader. At least those that followed it closely. He always is annoyed with Movistar cause they dont close down breaks, its pretty hilarious.

But yeah in general I also like him, as well as Ritter, Leth and Anker Sørensen. Staghøj is meh on the ohter hand.

I just dislike Leth, but also find it pretty stupid what they have done with him this year even if it's his own wish, and to a lesser extent Staghøj. I think he is smarter than he's letting on but he always takes the interviewer role which is a bit annoying.

But yeah, according to Rolf, Valverde could have won all mountain stages in the modern history of Grand Tours that have instead been won by breaks - like how the stork snatches a frog :D Sometimes their passivity annoys me too, though.

From a functional perspective, I like what TV2 has done with Leth this year. I would classify 90% of his words as noise, so having him say something only once in a while in small features kind of filters out that noise and brings out the relevant stuff.

But, paradoxically, I can see how the new Leth-feature has also made it a lot more evident that even TV2 recognizes that the man is past his prime as a commentator.

To be honest, I like Leth best when I hear him in podcasts telling about his work in the 70's-90's. I think he can have a lot of interesting things to say when the talk is about the heroes of the past, in contrast to his opinions of modern riders - opinions which are mostly ill-informed.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
From a functional perspective, I like what TV2 has done with Leth this year. I would classify 90% of his words as noise, so having him say something only once in a while in small features kind of filters out that noise and brings out the relevant stuff.

But, paradoxically, I can see how the new Leth-feature has also made it a lot more evident that even TV2 recognizes that the man is past his prime as a commentator.

To be honest, I like Leth best when I hear him in podcasts telling about his work in the 70's-90's. I think he can have a lot of interesting things to say when the talk is about the heroes of the past, in contrast to his opinions of modern riders - opinions which are mostly ill-informed.

I completely agree.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Fuglsang always comes back :)
You are right, if we can consider #8 on AdH with a 40s deficit as a success. I guess, it's okay and somewhat comparable to his performance on AdH in 2013 where he was also dropped early but paced himself back to limit his losses.

Top 10 seems very likely if he continues to show this level, but what can he really use a top 10 for?
He is good enough to go in the break and fight for the stage win on a mountain stage, but he probably will not get the leeway, because he's still not that far behind in GC. On the other hand, SKY was contempt to let Kruijswijk go today, so why not?

TRENDING THREADS