• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich still has it!!!

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

benzwire said:
chiocciolis_calves said:
joe_papp said:
Ironically enough, in 2011 when I was passing through a very difficult time, Jan reached out to me with a simple message that boosted my morale:

"...I can imagine that it is not easy for you, but dont give up and try to find a new challenge for yourself. Just sitting around and looking back to the "good old days" is not enough – you need to look forward without forgetting the memories you have of your cycling career..."

Talk sh^t on Ullrich if you want, but I know he has a tremendous capacity for empathy and kindness. Substance abuse doesn't discriminate w/r/t the negative impact it can have on folks.

He just strangled and beat a woman, Joe. How about focusing on the victim rather than how he affected you?

Look, we all feel bad for the prostitute and we hope she recovers. But this is not HookerNews.com. This thread is about Ullrich. I hope they both get better and get back to health and riding (bikes and men that pay, respectively). :)

Yeah, sure you do. That's why some of you have to be shamed into coughing up a quarter-hearted expression of concern for her. Gimme a break.

There is a longer article today in the german newspaper Die Welt about Jan and his alcohol abuse, that goes back to the 90ies. Already then he drank a lot during training camps. Reminds me also of his Nutella-Story. He used to put a glass of Nutella in the microwave and just drank it.

The article also states, that Jan is in possession of a lot of firearms and he shoots on his television screens every time he sees somebody he dislikes or he thinks is persecuting him. So his employees have to buy 2-3 new tv-screens every week. He also trains with two kickboxing coaches, because he feels that "people" are after him.

Max Rockatansky said:
There is a longer article today in the german newspaper Die Welt about Jan and his alcohol abuse, that goes back to the 90ies. Already then he drank a lot during training camps. Reminds me also of his Nutella-Story. He used to put a glass of Nutella in the microwave and just drank it.

The article also states, that Jan is in possession of a lot of firearms and he shoots on his television screens every time he sees somebody he dislikes or he thinks is persecuting him. So his employees have to buy 2-3 new tv-screens every week. He also trains with two kickboxing coaches, because he feels that "people" are after him.

If true, the man is a walking powder keg. It's good he is in a place where he can get the help he so desperately needs before he hurts himself or someone else again.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Max Rockatansky said:

Yikes, hopefully he doesn't get out for a long long time. This guy is obviously a danger to society.

El Pistolero said:
Max Rockatansky said:

Yikes, hopefully he doesn't get out for a long long time. This guy is obviously a danger to society.

If this were a non-athlete/celebrity, everyone would agree to that and few, if any, would be calling for all this help for him. It's all part of our diseased culture.

chiocciolis_calves said:
El Pistolero said:
Max Rockatansky said:

If this were a non-athlete/celebrity, everyone would agree to that and few, if any, would be calling for all this help for him. It's all part of our diseased culture.

Well, technically I'd say the best way to help him is to make sure he doesn't get out of the psychiatric clinic!

chiocciolis_calves said:
Anyone with mental issues needs help IMO, celebrity or not. But it's true that he receives more sympathy than the average Joe. Regardless, he's a mess. The hooting at TV stuff, paranoia, that's bad.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Never understood the Ullrich sympathy in light of what happened with others who were riding when he was and were absolutely loathed. Post career it seems he's still getting a lot of sympathy but it's a lot more serious now. Hope he can sort himself out.

For me it's not so much sympathi as "Dude, get help and get the *** over your issues!"

chiocciolis_calves said:
Get off your high horse. Empathizing with people you are familiar with is a universal phenomenon. Ullrich is clearly a mental health case who needs treatment, and it's not like you have to choose, it's not either Jan or his victim. If acquaintance with the rudiments of psychology makes a culture "diseased", so be it.

Max Rockatansky said:

I call ***.

Do you think Jan could ride a bike as good as he did, by being an alcoholic and drink a lot ? And what is a lot to these guys ? 3 beers ? 30 beers ? No way....

And do you honestly believe that the guy sits around and shoots his television whenever there are things he dislikes. Give me a break please.

I am not a Jan fanboy, but I do have a lot respect for his talent and his palameres. Hope he get's the help he needs and moves back in next to Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz as soon as possible. He is a star in Mallorca and should be treated as such.

danielovichdk2 said:
Max Rockatansky said:

I call ***.

Do you think Jan could ride a bike as good as he did, by being an alcoholic and drink a lot ? And what is a lot to these guys ? 3 beers ? 30 beers ? No way....

And do you honestly believe that the guy sits around and shoots his television whenever there are things he dislikes. Give me a break please.

I am not a Jan fanboy, but I do have a lot respect for his talent and his palameres. Hope he get's the help he needs and moves back in next to Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz as soon as possible. He is a star in Mallorca and should be treated as such.
Being an alcoholic doesn't necessarily mean you're drinking all the time. In some cases (and I guess Ullrich's as well) it means that when you go drinking you're often going on a bender.
I agree that the part about Jan shooting his television sounds ludicrous. That he has done it I'm willing to believe, but doing it 2-3 times a week indeed sounds like ***.

Bardamu said:
danielovichdk2 said:
Max Rockatansky said:

I call ***.

Being an alcoholic doesn't necessarily mean you're drinking all the time. In some cases (and I guess Ullrich's as well) it means that when you go drinking you're often going on a bender.
I agree that the part about Jan shooting his television sounds ludicrous. That he has done it I'm willing to believe, but doing it 2-3 times a week indeed sounds like ***.
Well, Pantani actually finished 14th at the 2003 Giro d'Italia while being a full coke junkie! So in fact it is possible to be competitive under these circumstances if you're abnormally talented.

hrotha said:
chiocciolis_calves said:
Get off your high horse. Empathizing with people you are familiar with is a universal phenomenon. Ullrich is clearly a mental health case who needs treatment, and it's not like you have to choose, it's not either Jan or his victim. If acquaintance with the rudiments of psychology makes a culture "diseased", so be it.

A woman was strangled by an ex-athlete. You apparently followed the athlete, which in your brain, equates to "familiarity" in a sense that a normal person would use that term to refer to someone they know or love. From this "familiarity" from afar, you rationalize that it makes sense to express more sympathy for Ullrich but not the victim. Okay, shooter. People actually did choose. It took someone shaming them a bit to get one pathetic expression of concern for the actual victim here. That should be concerning itself.

Acquaintance with psychology had nothing do with the affinity for Ullrich in this thread, but it sort of, almost made a cute line.

What happened stinks for all parties involved but we have nothing to a clear picture of what happened. Maybe the hooker lied a little or is at fault in some way that we do not know. Yes, people will sympathize with Ullrich more than an unknown person doing the accused action because they have seen him as a person before this compared to a random John Smith we hear on the news. Just because no one has said it as much does not mean no one cares for the woman.

This is the Jan Ullrich thread on a cycling forum so of course the main point of focus will be on the rider and how he can either get better, go to jail for his actions, etc.

Everyone deserves help if they need it and quite frankly we do not know the whole story. Just like the woman needs the medical help and if Jan is completely at fault than her be compensated.

TRENDING THREADS