• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jan Ullrich

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Jan is 1.83. That guy next to him is a mountain.

It's Jenke von Wilmsdorff. He is often in german television making some experiments on himself.
For example " What is the effect of notorious fast food eating" where he eats crazy amounts of fast food for a couple of weeks under medical supervision.
Well, some experiments are a bit crazy, others quite interesting.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Juice said:
It's Jenke von Wilmsdorff. He is often in german television making some experiments on himself.
For example " What is the effect of notorious fast food eating" where he eats crazy amounts of fast food for a couple of weeks under medical supervision.
Well, some experiments are a bit crazy, others quite interesting.
is Jenke currently experimenting the effect of steroids on himself?

anyway, there are only few German athletes that have my sympathy, and Jan is one of them.
I hope for him the doping-related court cases didn't drain him financially. To be sure, I don't think they did. And his name is probably still clean enough to do some commercials here and there.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
is Jenke currently experimenting the effect of steroids on himself?

anyway, there are only few German athletes that have my sympathy, and Jan is one of them.
I hope for him the doping-related court cases didn't drain him financially. To be sure, I don't think they did. And his name is probably still clean enough to do some commercials here and there.

No, they didn't. He still has around $10 million in the bank. Does not have a heavy lifestyle so he will be fine

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
After I thought Ulle and Rasmussen come out as the big losers/scapegoats from the dark era, while others come away completely unscathed... it is the complete opposite. Nobody would have imagined such stark turns of events.

Ulle gives TV appearences, and LA soon is completely forgotten... skip that, only remembered as the biggest sports fraud among big sports frauds (Bonds, McGwire, Johnson, Marion Jones, Horner).
I still think I am dreaming. Holy $hit.

Good for Ulle, even though I doubt he has 10 million left. But even 2 or 3 shall be enough for a good work-free life.

MarkvW said:
Ulrich was trained from youth in East Germany. The natural talent was better there.

Brother Stefan ran the world juniors in the 800m. Became a T-Mobile mechanic. Athletic talent ran through the family.

1zmyxrd.jpg

More importantly he had the love of his mother:

Der Kaiser's mother is a loyal supporter of her son's efforts. "I always watch the Tour and start work early when the race is on so I can see the race later. I start work at seven in the morning and get back home at half past three. It's hard though. Stefan (Ullrich's brother and T-Mobile mechanic) called me after the first time trial to calm me down. And Jan sent me a text message the next morning saying: 'Mum, don't worry - everything is under control."'

It seems that Frau Katz wasn't convinced. "Of course it wasn't under control, but now he's overcome that blow and got over it. I know that Jan is in great form. Had he been at full power in the first time trial, he would never have lost a minute to Lance. He'll definitely give the fans something to cheer and he will show in the mountains how well prepared he is for the Tour."

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Don't bump this thread... :)

It makes me remember all the painful years of Jan playing second fiddle to Lance...

And yes.. I liked Ullrich better. Mostly because he seemed more human compared to that medical experiment.....

I remember back in 97' when Jan took over from Riis..
Everyone was certain he would replace Indurain and become as dominant as him if not more...

Maybe if he had I would have disliked him too...

Funny world...

TRENDING THREADS