• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jasper Philipsen thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What is a "Greta win"?
greta.png

JP was heralded as the new Boonen?
Yes, before he was a pro. There is even an Instagram post by Boonen with a picture of them training together once, with a caption aluding "the old one and the new one".

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Also, ironically, once heralded as "the new Boonen", the first monument he wins is the one that had eluded Boonen time and again.
Good call on the Boonen thing. I remember an interview with Boonen where they were asking him who would be the next Boonen (or similar to him), and he mentioned Jasper and Cian . At least I think it was Cian although it might have been Remco.

Van Keirsbulck was also mentioned years ago...but not by Boonen.
I don't know what year this article came out but here is an excerpt: "ZOTTEGEM, Belgium (VN) — Guillaume Van Keirsbulck, the rider whom some call Belgium’s next Tom Boonen, is sitting nervously on the bubble, waiting to see if he’ll start the Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders) on Sunday.

Maybe the high expectations were not good for Van Keirsbulck.

Reactions: jmdirt
I also found this from 2020 Velo: "Philipsen’s arrival comes at a good moment for Belgian cycling. With superstar Boonen already retired, other current Belgian stars such as Greg Van Avermaet and Philippe Gilbert are winding down their careers. Philipsen joins Wout van Aert, Evenepoel, and Bjorn Lambrecht as promising Belgian talents primed to fill that void."

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
I also found this from 2020 Velo: "Philipsen’s arrival comes at a good moment for Belgian cycling. With superstar Boonen already retired, other current Belgian stars such as Greg Van Avermaet and Philippe Gilbert are winding down their careers. Philipsen joins Wout van Aert, Evenepoel, and Bjorn Lambrecht as promising Belgian talents primed to fill that void."

Well, seems it was written before the end of 2019... And that there was a miss-spelling of a name...

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
Yes, before he was a pro. There is even an Instagram post by Boonen with a picture of them training together once, with a caption aluding "the old one and the new one".

He certainly 'fills the Boonen void' of Belg winners, but I guess I never looked at him as being Boonen like.

Yep. Bjorg (with a G) died summer of 2019.

He certainly 'fills the Boonen void' of Belg winners, but I guess I never looked at him as being Boonen like.
At that time he was still not sure what type of rider he would become. Typical classics/cobbled rider or more a real sprinter. He turned out to be faster than anticipated. Maybe if his speed winds down, he will focus less on sprints and more on becoming a hardman. But he is a lot less tall than Boonen (and much more manoeuvrable), and guys like Pedersen and De Lie remind me of Boonen more than Philipsen.

Wasn't Stuyven heralded too as a "new Boonen" in his U23 days?
It's possible, i've never heard it personally, but it would make sense. Stuyven actually has a lot more in common with Boonen, he's taller and heavier than Philipsen, is not a real sprinter but pretty fast in a sprint etc. Stuyven climbs a bit better than Boonen (a lot actually) but he is missing that top-end. Glad for him that he managed to win his monument.

Too bad neither got to sprint all out. Merlier's front wheel was to the left of Van Poppel, which is why he tried to pass him on the left, but by that time there was no more space.
Next day and Merlier sounds really whiney. I had to go back and look at the finish again as I have considered Jasper Disaster to be a bit of a loose cannon in the past, but he did nothing wrong in that sprint. Van Poppel and Melier were almost at the center of the road when Philipsen started to go by them on the left side of the road and was level with Merlier when contact was made. I blame Van Poppel he made the big deviation, with Merlier already hooked up with his rear wheel he really had no place else to go. But it wasn't Philipsen's fault, he had 3 choices brake and lose, go into the barriers, or hold his ground. Which he did pretty well!

Reactions: Andre