• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jasper Philipsen thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JP keeps winning sprints so when will people stop calling him a 'second tier' sprinter? How does a sprinter make the jump from tier to tier? IMO: he is a first tier sprinter.
I think i already predicted this one or two seasons ago. He has had an enormous amount of top 5 finishes without winning, for the past 2 seasons. That means that he's been usually "up there/in the mix" but simply lacking a bit of that top-end speed. He's very clever at positioning and technically gifted (sometimes even a bit dangerous, somewhat like Sagan). So if he could become slightly faster, he would start winning a lot. And that's what's happening now. Still, i don't see him as a pure sprinter, he climbs quite well and is very good on classic courses. Here as well, he reminds me of Sagan, but he doesn't have that uphill punch Sagan had. Or i haven't seen it at least.

JP keeps winning sprints so when will people stop calling him a 'second tier' sprinter? How does a sprinter make the jump from tier to tier? IMO: he is a first tier sprinter.
8 wins, 11 podiums. Third most behind Cav and Merlier.
Has beaten Cav, Bennett, Groenewegen, Jakobsen, Demare, and Ackermann.
Has raced from Feb-now excluding May and did 2 GTs. Would have won 3 Tour stages without Cav.

I was going to post this in the Alpecin-Fenix thread, but that one apparently doesn't exist (or I didn't look good enough) and I can't be asked to create it.

With all off Philipsen's victories lately Alpecin-Fenix broke the record of most wins by a proteam. They are on 31 wins now. They got 3(!) guys in the top 10 of winningest riders this year.

No wonder SafeBet wanted to be Alpecin.

I knew they were really successful, but I didn't know it was that crazy.

Wout should win green quite easily.

The pure sprinters won't make the top 10 in 80% of the stages.

Sagan is done anyway.

Van der Poel will never sacrifice his freedom to create grandiose spectacles for a consistency award.

Colbrelli is Wout's only serious rival.

Wout should win green quite easily.

The pure sprinters won't make the top 10 in 80% of the stages.

Sagan is done anyway.

Van der Poel will never sacrifice his freedom to create grandiose spectacles for a consistency award.

Colbrelli is Wout's only serious rival.
Philipsen can survive in many stages where guys like Ewan and Jakobsen won't. If he can become a bit faster still, he could definitely push Van Aert. He would only have to target the sprints, while Van Aert has to do some work for Roglic, focus on TT and focus on green. Philipsen also takes risks where van Aert won't.
There only needs to be one or two sprints Van Aert can't contest due to team tactics (Roglic) or saving energy for TT/mountain and there won't be many stages Van Aert can take points (he won't win in actual mountain stages) where Philipsen can't, in order to expand a buffer or take back points.
If next year Philipsen can consistently rival Van Aert's speed, he could be as big a threat as anyone.

Philipsen can survive in many stages where guys like Ewan and Jakobsen won't.

That doesn't matter at all. Ewan and Jakobsen are as irrelevant for Green in this diet-sprint 2022 TDF as Coquard and Bouhani and Froome are. More to the point: the relative number of stages Van Aert can survive vis a vis Philipsen easily exceeds the number of stages Philipsen can survive vis a vis Ewan and Jakobsen.

There is literally not a stage where Wout cannot feasibly finish top 10. Meanwhile, he can comfortably minimize his damage in (fairly rare) duels with Philipsen, and grab tons of intermediate sprint points after early mountains, especially in week 2:

NNpURb1.png

The debate whether Wout will be 'allowed' to go for Green assumes he's a domestique first in the Tour. He isn't. He's a star rider for Jumbo, given free reign to pursue his own goals, in addition to him using his excess energy to help the team when needed. The idea that his green quest will somehow harm Roglic seems pretty ludricrous anyway, given that Jumbo also have Vingegaard, Dumoulin, Dennis, Laporte, Foss, Teunissen, Kuss, Oomen, Gesink, Kruijswijk and perhaps Benoot to pick from as Roglic's helpers.

Of course, a few crashes in the first week can turn the most unlikely scenario into the inevitable one, but as it stands, I can't see Wout missing out on this ideal chance to grab green.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS