• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jay Vine discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

No, not at all. I actually like the guy.
I don't think going for GC would have been a good idea, although with what he produced today, perhaps a good GC placing would have been possible as well, though I'm not too sure about his consistency over three weeks.

He's had a lot of bad luck in his career, so my point was only that if that trend should unfortunately continue later in the race, he now at least has one great result, which he would not necessarily have been able to achieve, if he had chased the GC from the start of the race.

No, not at all. I actually like the guy.
I don't think going for GC would have been a good idea, although with what he produced today, perhaps a good GC placing would have been possible as well, though I'm not too sure about his consistency over three weeks.

He's had a lot of bad luck in his career, so my point was only that if that trend should unfortunately continue later in the race, he now at least has one great result, which he would not necessarily have been able to achieve, if he had chased the GC from the start of the race.
Probably better for him to successfully chase stages and show he can climb at that level before going for GC. Kind of like Roglic at his first TDF

Naichaca, the watts dude, doesn't believe his Strava weight is accurate, hence the difference.
Naichaca, the watts dude, doesn't believe his Strava weight is accurate, hence the difference.
Yeah, but probably still closer to 69 than to 60kg, meaning that mine estimation is probably closer to the truth.
Overall the listed weight of cyclists is a can of worms and get why assuming a normalized weight of 60kg for gc riders is on average more accurate, but zhe guy has been wrong before and also unerestimates the w/kg of lightweight climbers.
How much drafting Mas got on certain gradients behind a rider such as Remco is another question.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Gosh, I’ve been too busy to absorb the significance of Jay’s win today. Some informed comments above which add weight to his ride’s significance.

Would be nice to see him take a shot at GC - although maybe not this Vuelta. Reminds me of Jan Hurt’s performance in the Giro?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Bam, win number two!

FbLaXEgUIAgSqHC

Looks fantastic on the bike while climbing. Pity he gave away time so easily in the beginning or he might be in the top3 atm. with the TTT being the difference.
not sure how his 3 week recuperation is or his TT (not sure if he has ridden that to limit timeloss) but he could be a future GT contestant if those things are up to par.
Very attractive rider who isn't afraid to fail, love it.

Not sure what his best course of action is, for GC he is to far back, but maybe he can go full effort in the ITT and see where he strands at that point. Wether a top10 is doable from his current position or alternatively he can go for more stage wins + mountain jersey when loosing some time to regain his freedom.

In any case they should stop underestimating him on the climbs and he will be hunted material for the GC teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lequack and KZD

TRENDING THREADS