• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jay Vine discussion thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He has propery arrived. Hopefully UAE don't have ideas to use him as a domestique. He is supposed to ride the Giro with Joao Almeida, so I wonder how that dynamic will go.

View: https://twitter.com/wcsbike/status/1617072031618433027?s=20&t=DLwqERxMNwEQeITixEUoOw

FnEQZioWQAUY6Vw

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15
He has propery arrived. Hopefully UAE don't have ideas to use him as a domestique. He is supposed to ride the Giro with Joao Almeida, so I wonder how that dynamic will go.

FnEQZioWQAUY6Vw
UAE are fascinating. Of course there is Pogi, then Almeida, Ayuso, Adam Yates and now Vine looking like he has big potential. He made a statement in the Vuelta and now has his first stage race win. Watching the finale today I was impressed by the level shown. I look forward to following this Zwift racer’s progress. As he says “watts are watts”. I’ll say.

Did he really crash 5 times?

Today's crash is the only one i can remember from him and plenty of riders crashed today too.

Anyway, let him channel his inner Lele Sella and he can end up with a top 10, KOM jersey and 1 or 2 nice stages.
Almeida is not the kind of ridere that needs a lot of support.

Today's crash is the only one i can remember from him and plenty of riders crashed today too.

Anyway, let him channel his inner Lele Sella and he can end up with a top 10, KOM jersey and 1 or 2 nice stages.
He lost time in both stage 2 and 5 due to crashes, and also went down in the Napoli stage. So that's at least four, and then he was also dropped on a descent in stage 4 which may or may not have been crash-related. That isn't sustainable if you want to be anything more than a stage hunter.

Yes 5 times!

Lol both Almeida and Vine needs fulltime babysitters. Actually think UAE should stop sending them to the same races. Fine as second leader next to Pogacar and Ayuso that both know how to position themself.
Otherwise send them to races where they can be the only leader with a full team to support.

I really hope Vine can take few days off now and come back strong in the 3rd week for stage hunting!

Last edited:
Reactions: yaco
First time that he‘s quoted saying something really unsympathetic:

CN quotes him with:

„'I'm not going to give a *** about top 20 on GC' says Australian“…

IMHO, he better ‚gives a ***‘… After all, he only once finished a GT, on 73rd spot on GC, Vuelta 2021.

Finishing the Giro within the Top20 on GC would be great!

Maybe this is some kind of „arrogance“ you necessarily develop when UAE signs you for five years…

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

CN quotes him with:

IMHO, he better ‚gives a ***‘… After all, he only once finished a GT, on 73rd spot on GC, Vuelta 2021.

Maybe this is some kind of „arrogance“ you necessarily develop when UAE signs you for five years…
I think that‘s reasonable. Top 10 places in GTs are very cool, but beyond that I don‘t think anyone cares. Once you‘re more than five minutes off the Top 10, imo you should just go for stages or help your leader.

Reactions: pastronef

CN quotes him with:

I think it's a heat of the moment reaction after the crash and the freezing stage he had.

I think that‘s reasonable. Top 10 places in GTs are very cool, but beyond that I don‘t think anyone cares. Once you‘re more than five minutes off the Top 10, imo you should just go for stages or help your leader.

Yeah, but I‘d say even a Top-20 placement at the final GC in Giro and Vuelta is something really big. It‘s like a Top-20 in RVV, for which thousands of young Belgian racers would (almost) „sacrifice a little finger“.

Vine has his contract now.

But an example: 21st on Vuelta GC cost Marcel Wyss dear. I think he even had to stop.

Gino Mäder saved a contract season with 20th rank in Vuelta GC (one rank stronger than Wyss). Mäder then got his new contract, and even finished the Vuelta GC in fifth spot, the year after. Beating Bernal and others.

I think Top-20 or Top-25 ranks are still great. And in the biggest races, you can make a living out of regularly finishing even in the Top-50.

But I understand Vine, who certainly has high expectations. But a 20th spot in Giro GC is absolutely something to be proud about when later telling it to the grandchildren…

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS