• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
All in all, I’d say this post from the stage 1 thread aged pretty well...
It’s a testament to the crazy times we are in right now that folks are dismissive of Alameida, a guy who merely got 4th in the Giro in his first GT at age 22 (21?) and who has climbed well all year and just smashed all other GC riders in an ITT. Not saying a I think he’ll win it, nor am I saying he’s a talent of Pogacar/Remco proportions, but he is a real deal talent. Not many riders have performed as well in a GT at his age in the past 20 years.

Well apart from stage 4 he did also lose 28" on Bernal, Evenepoel, etc. on stage 6 and 12"on stage 9 (2"behind Evenepoel).
It's not just that he was bad on stage 4 but he also didn't look that good until the gravel stage (stage 11). Although his Prologue was good.

We'll see how good Almeida can get soon enough. Plenty of GT's yet to come.

Reactions: Sandisfan
As I said many times before, this kid it’s just like Oporto Wine, it will only get better with age ! That he paced himself extremely week I already knew but those kinds of attacks at the steepest parts of climbings it’s new to me and shows that he already developed since last year. Only his 2nd year and only his 2nd GT. Just to need to see how he will performs tomorrow at more than 2k in altitude after the last 2 days efforts. He has a chance of winning the iTT on Sunday so he should protect himself tomorrow but knowing him as a rider I think that we’ll go all out to attack tomorrow if he has the legs. Very ambitious rider indeed

Imo from those only Landa is better and maybe Buchmann (maybe) so he doesn’t need that to be a real contender for podiums in GT for years to come (Slovenians aside)

Well Ciccone could have been to far off for Almeida at the moment now. Depends on whether he would have collapsed on wednesday without a fall.

Anyway Almeida is a great contender for the podium in the future.

Reactions: Sandisfan