• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Almeida being so good forces us tor reconsider last year's Giro field. Sure, lots of contenders were missing, but the level was still high enough for a guy like Almeida (one of the very best GC contenders in this year's stacked field) to 'only' end up fourth. It's shame that Hindley was ill and far from his best shape, and that Hart is not here (although he would have been just a domestique), they would have allowed a better comparison.

I think Almeida being so good forces us tor reconsider last year's Giro field. Sure, lots of contenders were missing, but the level was still high enough for a guy like Almeida (one of the very best GC contenders in this year's stacked field) to 'only' end up fourth. It's shame that Hindley was ill and far from his best shape, and that Hart is not here (although he would have been just a domestique), they would have allowed a better comparison.
Almeida dropped 4 minutes + in the first week, then was forced to babysit.

His third week is better than anything he did last year but I don't think it warrants rewriting 2020.

Another takeaway is that even if many people like to bag on Patrick Lefevere, the man can find and develop talent like no one else. Almeida may well find, as others have, that the grass is always greener on the other side once he's out of QS.
So that begs for the question, is Lefevere really such a "genius", or is it something else, which isn't allowed to talk here?

I'm so proud of this guy. As a portuguese you can't imagine how happy I am. We never had such a strong cyclist. He can win this year Vuelta. Cycling is growing a lot in Portugal! João Almeida is our new star and we all stop to watch him. So proud. So happy. Thank you Almeida
I heard that guy who won Alpe d'Huez, has two podiums at the Tour and got robbed of a win at the Vuelta was pretty strong...

Can somebody tell me whether he really is a star in Portugal now? Because I can't imagine a cyclist being a star in Germany today unless he fights at least for the Tour win?
Kind of, yes. The main sports newspaper highlight his performances, statements and so on. Tugão is mainly a football country so he gets as much press as any other sport outside that can get. Surely more than based Azevedo did when he was doing quite well in his ONCE and Postal years.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Can somebody tell me whether he really is a star in Portugal now? Because I can't imagine a cyclist being a star in Germany today unless he fights at least for the Tour win?
I'm not Portuguese, but if I have to guess, I'd say he has definitely become a star in Portugal.

Edit:
Also if I remember correctly (and I do because I've just checked) Rui Costa at his peak won multiple sportsman of the year awards despite not being even close to a Tour win. Becoming World Champion certainly helped for one season.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
I'm not Portuguese, but if I have to guess, I'd say he has definitely become a star in Portugal.

Edit:
Also if I remember correctly (and I do because I've just checked) Rui Costa at his peak won multiple sportsman of the year awards despite not being even close to a Tour win. Becoming World Champion certainly helped for one season.
I'm portuguese and yes, he's becoming a star here, and cycling are growing in Portugal because of joao almeida. At this moment, joao almeida and miguel oliveira in motogp are becoming a stars here in Portugal.
Since joaquim Agostinho that Portugal didn't have a cyclist that can fight for the grand tours.

I think he’s great at finding talents, but bad at developing them into GC contenders. Plus, were they one of the Ketone squads? I can’t remember other than Jumbo who were the ones using it.

I think it is more likely a matter of simple economics. QS is great at identifying up-and-coming talent and it developing its riders, many of whom enjoy real success in the team. This, then, raises their market value beyond what the team is prepared, to pay. Sam Bennett, anyone?

That appears to be the case here with Almeida, although his time on the squad was relatively short. It's perhaps ironic that Almeida's striking success in the third week has likely further increased his market value, putting him that much further out of Don Patrick's reach.

As for GT success, building a proper armada to shepherd a genuine contender would require rebalancing the entire team, away from Classics riders, sprinters, and roleurs and otherwise weakening the team's pack approach to racing.

Is QS really prepared to do that? I guess we will find out. However, I find it interesting that PL let Sam Bennett go but retained Morkov's services. I think that says a lot about the team's approach.

I'm portuguese and yes, he's becoming a star here, and cycling are growing in Portugal because of joao almeida. At this moment, joao almeida and miguel oliveira in motogp are becoming a stars here in Portugal.
Since joaquim Agostinho that Portugal didn't have a cyclist that can fight for the grand tours.
[/QUOTE]

just fyi. I watched agostinho live on tv. Was a big fan. So happy that he he made the Tdf podium twice I believe.

just fyi. I watched agostinho live on tv. Was a big fan. So happy that he he made the Tdf podium twice I believe.
[/QUOTE]
You're right. Unfortunately Agostinho lost a Vuelta by just 11 seconds.

Is cyling not popular in Germany any more? Wasn’t it popular with Jan? I mean you can always say that Schachmann fights for TDF victory or Buchmann before him.
It was popular with Ullrich and he caused a big boom but his doping case, T-Mobiles doping cases and admittance, and other top riders like Kessler and Klöden caused Germany to lose massive interest. This even caused Klöden to completely disown Germany. I thought interest had increased from Tony Martin, Greipel, and Kittel though.

Heck in the US I think it has barely any interest. I have met maybe 6 people that actually follow cycling with 2 being from Italy and 1 from Spain.

Last edited: