• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 95 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very sound and level-headed way to look at it.

Almeida is consistent and one day. One race. It might be to his advantage.

11 wins, so far, is not bad either.

He still has time on his side.

He is my least favourite rider in the entire peleton

C'mon you at least got to love the consistency and the bounce back move?

I meant more in the direction of not being obsessed with winning the Tour at age 20. Learning the craft and trying to hit the peak of his career in between being 25 and 30 years old. Taking things like mental stability into the account.

We'll see on where that takes him. If he can really make that one step further, physically, then he is right there in top tier.

Very interesting piece of info from the renowned blog by Mr Ring -

https://inrng.com/2024/02/tuesday-shorts-17/#more-43934
...the International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, a scientific journal, describes the five month training regimen of a 25 year old rider on the podium in the Giro. Given Roglič and Thomas are well into their 30s it doesn’t take too much to guess that the rider’s first name is probably João but the interesting thing is the way it describes how intense training efforts are carefully spaced apart and that the harder the training gets, the more rest days are included. Obvious you might think reading it like this, but there are many ways to measure effort but few to monitor fatigue and the bias has long been that more riding is better, while rest invokes a fear of missing out. One factor explored here already is how calorie consumption has changed and is making racing livelier, another idea to explore further is how more rested riders, whether from training or processional sprint stages, are also contributing.

Study at (so you too can be like a Giro podium cyclist!)
https://journals.humankinetics.com/...2023-0224/article-10.1123-ijspp.2023-0224.xml

Edit - "During training a pattern alternating “hard days” versus “easy days” was observed, as significant amounts of medium or high intensity, or load, were not performed for more than 2 consecutive days" is a quote from the study, which is interesting as Sky/Ineos rode GT's with 2 day blocks at 100% and then a rest day, which of course matches the current GT parcours of no more then 2 consecutive hard mountain stages.

800px-Vuelta_a_Espa%C3%B1a_2023_Contrarreloj_Valladolid-85_%28cropped%29.jpg

When you wear your helmet Pogi style

Most of SQS is underperforming, so... Maybe it wasn't that bad of an idea.
Remco is underperforming? Landa is underperforming? Merlier is underperforming?
Young guys like lecerf william junior are not improving?

I don't think Alaphilippe underperforming has something to do with the team.

Almeida was improving a lot on Quick step, but it's not just that. If he stayed on Quick step, he would get more chances. In emirates he will have problems to have some leadership in the future, with so many top riders and young riders emerging like Pogacar, ayuso, yates, del toro. He will end as Pogacar's domestique.

I don't think Alaphilippe underperforming has something to do with the team.

Almeida was improving a lot on Quick step, but it's not just that. If he stayed on Quick step, he would get more chances. In emirates he will have problems to have some leadership in the future, with so many top riders and young riders emerging like Pogacar, ayuso, yates, del toro. He will end as Pogacar's domestique.
I think it’s fair to say the team has been underperforming in the realm they were once known to dominate: the cobbled classics.

Please continue the list, don't leave out all the other riders. I wrote "most of" and you decided to chose the ones that are not underperforming lol.

How would SQS support Almeida in the GTs any better then UAE? They barelly have a team to support Remco.
He would end up working for Remco and we all know how that went...

Almeida will top 10 the Tour and the Vuelta this year. I'm confident.