• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

If it’s something like the flu or a cold he’s done well to hang on as long as possible today, because with that type of illness he may be feeling well by mid-next week when they return to mountains.

What would he gain by dropping out at this point?
Risking post viral fatigue for top 10?

Masnada, Martinez, Cav, Declerq all good examples of post viral fatigue/squalae. Yes they had covid and mono but still over exertion with a virus in the body is a risk in itself. And hence I wonder if it's really worth the risk. I can understand it if he was a contender for the overall win or silver etc. But for top 10?

Reactions: Sciatic
Risking post viral fatigue for top 10?

Masnada, Martinez, Cav, Declerq all good examples of post viral fatigue/squalae. Yes they had covid and mono but still over exertion with a virus in the body is a risk in itself. And hence I wonder if it's really worth the risk. I can understand it if he was a contender for the overall win or silver etc. But for top 10?
Okay, I wasn’t thinking COVID. Most run-of the mill colds (which is a virus of course) aren’t made worse by exertion unless you get dehydrated. One may feel like sh*t trying to perform but that doesn’t mean its making things worse.

As with so many things, COVID seems to be a different story. I would indeed more careful with that. I was thinking they would still mention it specifically if it was COVID, but perhaps they don’t that anymore?

Also, realize we don’t know if Masnada, Martinez, etc had the post -illness sequellae because they kept training/competing. Like many other individuals, what happened to them could have been purely the result of how their body responded to the virus, whether they were exerting or not. But perhaps you have access to some Israeli (they seemed to do the best population-wide studies) or European studies that have analyzed this variable re:: COVID consequences?

Last edited:
Reactions: noob
Okay, I wasn’t thinking COVID. Most run-of the mill colds (which is a virus of course) aren’t made worse by exertion unless you get dehydrated. One may feel like sh*t trying to perform but that doesn’t mean its making things worse.

As with so many things, COVID seems to be a different story. I would indeed more careful with that. I was thinking they would still mention it specifically if it was COVID, but perhaps they don’t that anymore?

Also, realize we don’t know if Masnada, Martinez, etc had the post -illness sequellae because they kept training/competing. Like many other individuals, what happened to them could have been purely the result of how their body responded to the virus, whether they were exerting or not. But perhaps you have access to some Israeli (they seemed to do the best population-wide studies) or European studies that have analyzed this variable re:: COVID consequences?
Oh sorry, I didn't write clear enough. Almeida doesn't have covid. That's ruled out by test :D

Martinez had and Declerq had covid. Cav and Masnada had mono. No one doesn't know for sure if the reason is that they continued racing and training, but in Declerqs case it was according to himself.

Generally over excertion with a virus in the body is risky as far as I know. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8581268/

But then riders ride with broken backs as well so why not ride with a virus :confused_old::beercheers:

Last edited:
Almeida about the Tourmalet day:

"I was sick from the first kilometers. I've been sick for a few days, I knew I wasn't well. I continued to fight. It's like that in cycling. I'm sick, body aches, nose, fever. It's frustrating, because things were going well", lamented the Portuguese, to Eurosport.

Asked about how he managed to find the energy to finish the queen stage of the Vuelta 'just' 6.47 minutes from the winner, Almeida admits he doesn't have an answer. "Honestly, I don't know. The team was fantastic with me. I didn't want to throw it all away, I tried to fight. It was probably the worst day I've ever had on a bike. It's these moments that define you, that make the difference. That's how it is."

Regarding Jumbo-Visma's total victory, João Almeida assumes that he did not follow because he turned off the radio, but he looks ahead and left a promise. "I didn't know, because at a certain moment I took the headset off, because it wasn't worth it. I hope Juan [Ayuso] was in the fight. There's a lot of turning around. Nothing is lost or gained, we're going to fight. I'll do what I can to help. If we can help Juan, we will fight for victory. We will not be satisfied with 3rd or 4th. We will give everything. All or nothing".

So seems Juan found himself a super domestique!

Last edited:
Almeida about the Tourmalet day:

"I was sick from the first kilometers. I've been sick for a few days, I knew I wasn't well. I continued to fight. It's like that in cycling. I'm sick, body aches, nose, fever. It's frustrating, because things were going well", lamented the Portuguese, to Eurosport.

Asked about how he managed to find the energy to finish the queen stage of the Vuelta 'just' 6.47 minutes from the winner, Almeida admits he doesn't have an answer. "Honestly, I don't know. The team was fantastic with me. I didn't want to throw it all away, I tried to fight. It was probably the worst day I've ever had on a bike. It's these moments that define you, that make the difference. That's how it is."

Regarding Jumbo-Visma's total victory, João Almeida assumes that he did not follow because he turned off the radio, but he looks ahead and left a promise. "I didn't know, because at a certain moment I took the headset off, because it wasn't worth it. I hope Juan [Ayuso] was in the fight. There's a lot of turning around. Nothing is lost or gained, we're going to fight. I'll do what I can to help. If we can help Juan, we will fight for victory. We will not be satisfied with 3rd or 4th. We will give everything. All or nothing".

So seems Juan found himself a super domestique!
Thanks for sharing that info. Just hope he’s recovered enough to hammer on some climbs and shake up the leaderboard (as long as Ayuso can follow).

Stinks Almeida lost all that time when he was sick otherwise he’d be in fourth right now.
I'd not be surprised if he's going in the break tomorrow.

I didn't really like when he left Ayuso today, even if I do understand that Ayuso was parked and draght doesn't help on Angliru, it still was sad to see Ayuso. And yes I also belive Almeida would have been forth if not ill.

It wouldn't have cost him anything in terms of places in the end though. And he said he would ride for Ayuso. Least Ayuso told him to go I don't like it. (Yes I know Ayuso would do the same and I still don't like it.)
Yeah, I also didn't like to see it, but UAE (lack of) management is the first to blame. This could have been a great Vuelta for them and instead they just look like clowns.

Sawing Almeida going was an extra motivation for Ayuso, even more than if Almeida was at his side helping him. Also going slower at 20 percent inclination is difficult to manage.

Almeida proved that he improved his climbing and is also back to DQS level of ITT. I would say he is right now only behind ETs (Roglic, Pogacar, Jonas V., Remco)
Behind Thomas as well for sure.

Reactions: noob
Sawing Almeida going was an extra motivation for Ayuso, even more than if Almeida was at his side helping him. Also going slower at 20 percent inclination is difficult to manage.

Almeida proved that he improved his climbing and is also back to DQS level of ITT. I would say he is right now only behind ETs (Roglic, Pogacar, Jonas V., Remco)
Behind roglic, pogacar, jonas, remco, adam yates, kuss, thomas and in the same level of another 5 or 6 guys like Mas, hindley.....

Reactions: Sandisfan