• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On this year Catalunya Tour and UAE Tour João did better than Hindley.

That doesn’t mean anything, different parts of the season, different forms. At this level being at peak form or not makes all the difference. With both at their peaks imo they are very close tier, with Almeida stronger at itt and Hindley maybe a little better climbing. Besides at Catalunya Hindley was working as a domestique for Higuita at some point.
Having all said Hindley was only better at this Giro at stage 14 because at Blockhaus he wasn’t stronger than Almeida, quite the opposite, he was wheelsucking Almeida while he was alone closing the gap so he had the extra strength to the final sprint where he won. If it wasn’t for Almeida at first place he probably wouldn’t catch the front guys.

Random, but I have to admit he’s a better rider than I thought he would be, probably because of my bias for Remco. Didn’t think he was really a GT podium guy.
Expectations for Almeida were quite high when he was 18-19 or so. But he had an underwhelming period at Hagens Berman Axeon and that brought those expectations down. I remember in 2019 he had some really poor results (Course de la Paix, Coppi/Bartali...), after having finished podium on the baby Giro and top 10 in Avenir the year before.

If hindley from piancavallo appears in this third week, he will be better than carapaz.

maybe someday he can be better than Carapaz. Despite looking very sharp he isn’t at Carapaz level yet. But the road will tell in the next days. One thing is for certain, he is proving that 2020 Giro wasn’t a fluke and the riders level wasn’t so bad after all, all in all we have atm 2 young riders from that Giro edition in 2nd and 3rd place.

Last edited:
Expectations for Almeida were quite high when he was 18-19 or so. But he had an underwhelming period at Hagens Berman Axeon and that brought those expectations down. I remember in 2019 he had some really poor results (Course de la Paix, Coppi/Bartali...), after having finished podium on the baby Giro and top 10 in Avenir the year before.

true and as a side note if I remember correctly at that Baby Giro he was 2nd in final GC just behind Vlasov for a few seconds and didn’t win it just because he crashed.

• Wow
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Well, if you wish to be even more confused, he gave and interview today and said this regarding to saturday:

"I consider myself a good descender, but it was a very dangerous descent and I made a mistake or two while following Pozzovivo, because there were some potholes on the road."

So he's a good descender when he's on Zwift.

Absolute legend, my favorite rider in the Peleton right now. He's like a weed smoking Ullrich regen, always cheerful in interviews, just smoothly dieseling along no matter the circumstances, no matter how many attacks there are or how *** his team is.
He's probably still confused why there the metric "normalized power" even exists - for him it's the same as average power anyway!

May 26, 2021
Visit site
I wonder how good pogacar will be after the Tour. But you are probably right, still... he could go for a top-5 there.

Today it was good to see he can descend and who know he has one super day this week, he only needs one right?

Reactions: Sandisfan
He thrashes himself, but doesn't have those extra watts when needed to make the difference. However, his pacing is commendable and what if the others have a sans jour?
What we saw last year is that he attacks setting a stronger tempo and its hard for him to set a gap. Last year he was free to this, but now they will respond at the moment. I agree he needs the others to have a bad day to win (except Landa).

TRENDING THREADS