• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

John Gadret appreciation thread (and Dupont too)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2010
Visit site
Gadret is great! Just imagine what he could do if he was racing for a ProTeam!

Dupont one of the surprises of the Giro - and now should have the whole Ag2r team behind him!

;)

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Imagine this French team in a Grand Tour.

John Gadret
Hubert Dupont
Christophe Le Mevel
Sylvain Chavanel
Pierrick Fedrigo
Pierre Rolland
Alexandre Geniez
Remi Di Gregorio
Thomas Voeckler

Sandy Casar
David Moncoutie
Romain Sicard
Samuel Dumoulin
Brice Feillu

And whoever else I forgot.

They could put up a competitive team in the TDF. A French team should try and sign all of these riders and create a super french team. That team would win a KOM jersey and the teams classification.

Sasquatch said:
Imagine this French team in a Grand Tour.

John Gadret
Hubert Dupont
Christophe Le Mevel
Sylvain Chavanel
Pierrick Fedrigo
Pierre Rolland
Alexandre Geniez
Remi Di Gregorio
Thomas Voeckler

Sandy Casar
David Moncoutie
Romain Sicard
Samuel Dumoulin
Brice Feillu

And whoever else I forgot.

They could put up a competitive team in the TDF. A French team should try and sign all of these riders and create a super french team. That team would win a KOM jersey and the teams classification.
Jerome Coppel. ;)

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
He is. I hope Gadret and Roche form a good top 10 duo at the tour. Gadret has really stepped up this GT.

Gadret, if he does in fact ride the Tour, will be cooked. I can't imagine after this performance that he'll be able to recover to even be of use to Roche, which based on his/their history, isn't likely to happen.

A fine, fine performance nonetheless. Gives the French a bit of hope in the grand tours of the future.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
yetanothergreenworld said:
Mad props to both of these guys for their ongoing party-crashing.

And, seriously, does Gadret have any strikes against him BESIDES the Nick Roche incident last year? I'll admit that it was a **** move; but it's only the national framing (Frenchman screws nice Irish boy) that has made it into a bloody shirt that people keep waving. If he had done the same to Nocentini I doubt we'd hear about it nearly as much.

I'm thinking he's channeling Hinault and/or he's a big fan of the surly Badger.:D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
An interesting interview with Gadret:

"We were taken for buffoons"

"The big leaders like Scarponi, Nibali or Kreuziger watch me with a different eye (now). When I get my *** up in the sattle, they come and get me. There is more respect. This also changes things in the peloton. As a French team in the Giro, we were taken for buffoons. This is not the case anymore."

"Marco Pantani stays my big idol. I use a few things that I liked about him and adopt them in the race. When I signed my contract with AG2R (in 2006), I had piercings more or less everywhere. Vincent Lavenu asked me to remove a few. As for the tattoos, it was too late. Even the big directeur of AG2R knows that I'm like that. But if you know me, you know I'm not a jailbird"

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-giro_gadret_nous_etions_pris_pour_des_guignols-15593.html

Steve Chainel and Hivert/ R. Feillu/ Bodrogi/ Charteau and PERAUD!!!!!! That would be quite a good team but the hype around them would sell them to be better riders than some of them are and everyone will join the bandwagon, then be confused at times when you hear about them all the time finishing 60th in a race.

good to see him fighting

well of course it feels good to see the man fighting for a place on the top 5 . I liked reading the article about him today on CN but I wish they would have reminded the public that Jaja not only finished 5th in 1998 vuelta but managed to win it in 1995. I know .. that is more than 15 years.

In fairness, Roche was very quick to congratulate Gadret on his stage win via Twitter. If he can get over it, it seems a bit unreasonable for fans to hold a grudge. Gadret's performance is very good news for Ag2r, particularly if you remember that their ProTour license runs out this year.