• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonas Vingegaard: Godzilla, the King of Monsters

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
not saying he's doping. au contraire, 1 missed test means nothing. I was just noticing The Clinic misses the old members who would go on rants about this or that rider at any occasion. that atmosphere is gone forever. the vitriol and obsession are long gone souvenirs. just that

but this is a big nothingburger. he missed a test in 2019. you're allowed to miss a test. i'm sure it happens all the time without any nefarious intentions.

He repeated the same old *** that everyone does nowadays. Do you really think the peloton is clean now?
Seems particularly obtuse to say that when a teammate had a doping violation this summer.

Plus how would he know that (the peloton is clean) anyways? Because he appears to spend most of his social life in his family bubble, not hanging out hobnobbing with other cyclists, he seems the least likely to know what’s going on;)

I don't take anything, and I don't think that the rest of the peloton does either

One missed test is a sliver of evidence. What is worse is this ludicrous claim the peloton is clean now.

But what is the difference between what Vingegaard is saying now and what we heard Armstrong say? Not much except Vingo is a nice guy. :rolleyes:. After that psychopathic stage 16 TT, his dad came out and claimed he has a 103 VO2 max. Too bad his pre July 2021 record never suggested a stratospheric number. This is why I can never warm to him.

I also miss the Clinic of old. Special mention to "The Hitch".

yes, can you remember the 2014-2016 Clinic. dear me it was merciless. it was aggressive and incredible. Froomegaard and Jumbo go way beyond what happened in those years, but the old guys are gone, and the cyclists are now "likeable". Rogla, Vinge, WVA, KUSS, dear me KUSS, the luck Jumbo has with Kuss is not measurable. it's something too good for them. they have no idea how lukcy they are and how easy is to catch the fans. I wanted Vinge to win the Vuelta and snatch the jersey from Kuss. then the Clinic and twitter might have woken up a little bit

One missed test is a sliver of evidence. What is worse is this ludicrous claim the peloton is clean now.

But what is the difference between what Vingegaard is saying now and what we heard Armstrong say? Not much except Vingo is a nice guy. :rolleyes:. After that psychopathic stage 16 TT, his dad came out and claimed he has a 103 VO2 max. Too bad his pre July 2021 record never suggested a stratospheric number. This is why I can never warm to him.

VO2max of 103 would be the highest ever measurement for a human and the highest for a cyclist by light years (10+ mm/kg/min of difference). This value is insane and would require some enhancement technology which is probably still unknown (or maybe it's known now?). The reason why this value is so ridiculous is that cycling actually isn't the best sport for VO2max maximization due to smaller engagement of non-legs muscles (for comparison cross-country skiing and running engage more) so Skeletor could push even more than that if oxygen in his hands wasn't wasted :oops:

Reactions: Cookster15
yes, can you remember the 2014-2016 Clinic. dear me it was merciless. it was aggressive and incredible. Froomegaard and Jumbo go way beyond what happened in those years, but the old guys are gone, and the cyclists are now "likeable". Rogla, Vinge, WVA, KUSS, dear me KUSS, the luck Jumbo has with Kuss is not measurable. it's something too good for them. they have no idea how lukcy they are and how easy is to catch the fans. I wanted Vinge to win the Vuelta and snatch the jersey from Kuss. then the Clinic and twitter might have woken up a little bit
Yeh, I miss those days. - even a little earlier. The Hitch (34,000 posts!) was a big fan of Samu Sanchez. I was a Cadel fan. Occasionally he would notice my post and loved to put me in my place. I received a few one page replies to set the record straight (according to him :laughing: ).

VO2max of 103 would be the highest ever measurement for a human and the highest for a cyclist by light years (10+ mm/kg/min of difference). This value is insane and would require some enhancement technology which is probably still unknown (or maybe it's known now?). The reason why this value is so ridiculous is that cycling actually isn't the most optimal sport for VO2max maximization due to smaller engagement of non-legs muscles (for comparison cross-country skiing and running engage more) so Skeletor could push even more than that if oxygen in his hands wasn't wasted :oops:
Totally agree. Officially the highest recorded was 97.5 for a cross country skier. I don't understand why his dad would make such a ludicrous claim thinking it might allay suspicion or explain that stage 16 TT. Remember Vingo himself stated he was disbelieving at how fast he was going. Frankly, I was enraged at having my intelligence insulted.

Totally agree. Officially the highest recorded was 97.5 for a cross country skier. I don't understand why his dad would make such a ludicrous claim thinking it might allay suspicion or explain that stage 16 TT. Remember Vingo himself stated he was disbelieving at how fast he was going. Frankly, I was enraged at having my intelligence insulted.

Maybe on that day he had 103 (rest day enhancement) and daddy said too much :p

• Haha
wow!!!!!! i cant believe jonas vingegaard is doping!!!!!! i thought he was clean this whole time. so shocking.
He is clean, like the others best riders also are clean.

I believe they are taking something, but that they are not taking something illegal. Science is always evolving, so they could be taking products that are not yet banned.

Then, with more altitude training camps, better nutrition, better equipment, better trainings, the search for stronger riders phisically, it also explains in some percentage why the best riders, are racing more fast.

Like i said, i'm not saying that they could not be taking something, but it's questionable for me, if it's illegal or not.

Let's not forget that altitude training camps, it's like taking EPO naturally. It's like a legal doping.

Reactions: yaco
You don’t know that. He could be threatened this would go public and wants to control the narrative. He could be under investigation and VLaB instructed him to come clean (again to control the narrative). On Monday, there was an article on wielerflits:
https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/wada-maakt-zich-zorgen-om-nieuwe-vorm-van-bloeddoping/

Could be that something is cooking… I was not the least bit surprised he made a statement like that today and I don’t buy for one second he just remembered about that incident all of a sudden while completely forgetting about it when asked about doping during his TDF campaigns.
Just because he won the Tour by taking 1 min 40 s on pogacar in the TT, contrary to roglic that lost the tour by losing more than 1 min and 40 s to pogacar in the TT, and losing the Tour because of that, doesn't mean something is cooking.

I'm not doubting about what you said, but can you share that news on his dad saying that he had a vo2max of 103? I can't find that.

I'm not doubting about what you said, but can you share that news on his dad saying that he had a vo2max of 103? I can't find that.
He never said that.

"In 2016 Rasmussen recalls his son undergoing tests while riding for Odder Cykle club - the same team that helped develop future Tour of Flanders winner Kasper Asgreen, now at Soudal Quick-Step - which revealed that he had an exceptionally high VO2 max while still just a teenager.

“They were testing all the guys in the team,” says Rasmussen. “I think there were about ten. They did seven of them and everything was normal, then they did Jonas and everything went out of order.”

According to Rasmussen, the man carrying out the test initially thought his machine was broken, such were the numbers involved.

“He said ‘oh this cannot be right, I think my machine is broken’ then he tested three other guys after that and it was normal again,” he adds. “So it was not his machine, he’d just never seen anything like that before. At 17, Jonas’ VO2 max was something around 97.”

"Around 97" means he can't remember the exact number, and we can speculate if Odder Cycling Club even had the proper equipment to test vo2 max

Reactions: Froome
Theorically the peloton is clean. Probably they are taking something, but it's nothing illegal, even is not right ethically.
WADA found a whole buch of positive tests with riders using Tramadol which the UCI had banned. Only Nairo amongst the pros was caught using the UCI's own testing method, so even though something is illegal, if some masking agent works, then it'll be used. (like Hessman's diuretic maybe?)

Reactions: veganrob
Seems particularly obtuse to say that when a teammate had a doping violation this summer.

Plus how would he know that (the peloton is clean) anyways? Because he appears to spend most of his social life in his family bubble, not hanging out hobnobbing with other cyclists, he seems the least likely to know what’s going on;)
He gives his reason for believing the peloton is clean, doesn't he? Since he is clean and he won the Tour twice, he believes the rest of them aren't cheating either. Usually stuff like this is lost in translation as well, I don't know what he said in Danish, probably something like "so I believe the rest of the peloton is clean as well", which of course doesn't mean that every single rider is clean. That's almost impossible, in every game everywhere at least someone cheats.

And he also discussed Michel Hessmann, apparently he believes Hessmann didn't knowingly take the banned substance. Make of that what you will, naiveté, maybe the team knows more than we do, maybe he's lying, but he doesn't consider it an out-and-out case of cheating.

Reactions: Sciatic
He gives his reason for believing the peloton is clean, doesn't he? Since he is clean and he won the Tour twice, he believes the rest of them aren't cheating either. Usually stuff like this is lost in translation as well, I don't know what he said in Danish, probably something like "so I believe the rest of the peloton is clean as well", which of course doesn't mean that every single rider is clean. That's almost impossible, in every game everywhere at least someone cheats.

And he also discussed Michel Hessmann, apparently he believes Hessmann didn't knowingly take the banned substance. Make of that what you will, naiveté, maybe the team knows more than we do, maybe he's lying, but he doesn't consider it an out-and-out case of cheating.
It just means that whatever he chooses to consider at a given moment may have little to do with reality and more to do with damage limitation.

Those were good times. Even going back further was better though. 2011 say

Latest posts