• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard thread: Mountain Sprinter

Page 181 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In other news today Visma announced Kelderman is out of the Giro because he hasn't recovered from his collarbone fracture in Paris-Nice.

So I wouldn't hold anyone to any timetable, or assume a best case scenario for Vingegaard's TdF defense prospects. I think it's wait & see. Just like for Evenepoel & even Rog (based on the fact he hurt his knee).
Another rider out of the Giro that could "challenge" Pogacar (at least, put him out of zone 2). Can't even know who would win the Giro if Pogacar crashed out.
If Vingegaard misses Dauphiné, he will be out for the Tour.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
In other news today Visma announced Kelderman is out of the Giro because he hasn't recovered from his collarbone fracture in Paris-Nice.

So I wouldn't hold anyone to any timetable, or assume a best case scenario for Vingegaard's TdF defense prospects. I think it's wait & see. Just like for Evenepoel & even Rog (based on the fact he hurt his knee).
I guess Remco and Roglic will be fine for the Tour. Roglic will probably race Liege very soon.

Kelderman already broke 4 times the collarbone, that's a problem for him.

So Vingegaard had a pneumothorax right?

I think the time for recovery for this can vary drastically. It took Davie Selke, a forward for the club I support back then, more than a year to come back to the level of fitness that was necessary for his game.

Of course I hope this will not be a similar story for Vingegaard but a pneumothorax is a nasty injury I think and I guess even if he recovers well and fast from it, he will have been a long time without training by then.

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Another rider out of the Giro that could "challenge" Pogacar (at least, put him out of zone 2). Can't even know who would win the Giro if Pogacar crashed out.
If Vingegaard misses Dauphiné, he will be out for the Tour.

I think he will skip Dauphiné and go on altitude instead, which is much more important for the tour han race km's.

Not necessarily. I'll repeat what I already said in another thread. Top guys don't need prep races that much to be in a very high form. If Dauphine collides with high-quality pre-Tour training (that can compensate for the preparation shortcomings) they will surely choose the latter.
But his team has announced Vingegaard will participate at the Tour ONLY at 100 %. So, start at 98 % and "grow" or become stronger during the Tour (as Van Aert did a few years ago after surgery for appendicitis, winning 3 stages the last 10 days) will not happen.

Reactions: Oldermanish
But his team has announced Vingegaard will participate at the Tour ONLY at 100 %. So, start at 98 % and "grow" or become stronger during the Tour (as Van Aert did a few years ago after surgery for appendicitis, winning 3 stages the last 10 days) will not happen.

If Pogacar was peaking 100% for the Tour then maybe but it's not the case. They can still rethink it and in case Jonas is at 90-95% they may decide to give it a try.

there's a piece on Corriere, Italian newspaper by MArco Bonarrigo www.twitter.com/cyclingpro about Jonas' father not being able to speak with his son yet and being worried his condition is worse than what Visma says
There has to be something wrong with that interview.

Vingegaard's wife is at the hospital with Vingegaard. How can Vingegaard's father doesn't know what is happening through vingegaard's wife?

If there was something really serious with the lungs, they would never do the operation to the collarbone.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
There has to be something wrong with that interview.

Vingegaard's wife is at the hospital with Vingegaard. How can Vingegaard's father doesn't know what is happening through vingegaard's wife?

If there was something really serious with the lungs, they would never do the operation to the collarbone.

yep, and tbf it's by Marco Bonarrigo, a friend of Varjas and Vildary, usually looking for news/scoops, well...

Realistically he would probably check out before that if he started unless a miracle recovery occurs in the next weeks. You don't use the first two weeks for training and still be in any GC position or be recovered enough for week 3.
I don’t know. He wasn’t great the first week of the Vuelta and then came good. I don’t think it’s impossible this year, given that every contender will have a reason they might not be at 100%.

I would be astonished if Vingegaard comes anywhere near TdF winning form by July given the severity of his injuries.
I'm personally more concerned about his health and recovery. Each body reacts in its own way: Ala, with some similar wounds, never came back. Bernal too. I just think it's too early to jump to conclusions based on limited informations. I know well that those are not the intentions, but reading certain messages it seems there is more concern about the participation in the Tour than for his own health.