• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

GKn0SJOXAAAp9eD

There was no Blackmore thread yet, surprisingly, so I made one. He has been really consistently good this year and as a first year pro as well at only 21.

hRCOzWb.png

M1TZCEa.png

Great performances in this year's races, as a first year pro, so definitely the one to look out for in the future. We're hardly into the beginning of the season and he's already won Tour of Rwanada and Taiwan and Circuit des Ardennes, and he seems he can also be good in one day classics, as show by his 4th place in De Brabantse Pijl. I am exciting on what else is to come.

I am not sure about his contract situation, PCS says he's on the development team for this year, but nothing after that. So I'm sure a big team will scoop him up in no time. Perhaps Ineos, they could do with a great British rider for sure.

Like others on here, first became aware of him in CX a couple of years ago, where he got pretty good results the few times he competed outside The UK. Then there was that very promising 6th at Rwanda last year, but checking PCS again, there wasn't much on the road after that. I didn't watch Avenir so don't know how indicative his 12th place overall was? On paper, his performances this year seem an extraordinary progression. Ineos have a solid recent record of missing out on young British climbing talent, so no reason to think he'll be any different.

I think his 6th in Rwanda last year has to be coupled with the notion of him never having done a pro road race and having no actual team, with 3/4 of his GB teammates DNF, his 12th in Avenir as far as I know he wasn't even meant to be the leader (Golliker?).

He seems to have just been making it up a bit as he is goes along road-wise and it's credit to whoever scouted him from ISN that they could put his promising results within the correct context. I would say not just the result but the manner of performance in Brabantse Pijl was quite shocking, he was the only one who could bridge to the front group, pulled a gap to VDB back, carried on at the front and still managed 4th in the sprint.

Such a shame how much British talent emerges in CX, then drops it completely for the road. Tullet, Turner, Askey and now Blackmore it seems.
I think he was always more of a XCO racer than CX; his climbing is better suited to that discipline than the all out power of CX.

I would think there's a few U23 XCO racers on the WT teams lists; Visma's Dev team have got Schellekens, and Lidl-Trek will probably be keeping tabs on Riley Amos....

Reactions: postmanhat
Are there any rumours about him having signed for the pro team already? I can imagine Ineos wants to pay big bucks for this kid (they should), but It's not like Israel doesn't have the money and they gave him the opportunity so...

He's good, really good. And I'm not gonna lie, I'm usually well informed about young talents, straight out of the junior category, but he's been a real surprise to me. I only follow road cycling so when he was decent in Rwanda last season I didn't really think anything off it (apart from, ok this guy is pretty good for a first year), but now knowing that he never did any road racing before that was already a sign of how good he could become.

Definitely one I regret missing for CQ team. Consistently popping up in the results.
As I mentioned in the CQ thread a while back, had him on my longlist, which I then lost due to knacking my laptop. Completely forgot about him after that and didn't even realise he'd signed for IPT's devo team. What a lovely pick he would have been to follow.

Are there any rumours about him having signed for the pro team already? I can imagine Ineos wants to pay big bucks for this kid (they should), but It's not like Israel doesn't have the money and they gave him the opportunity so...

He's good, really good. And I'm not gonna lie, I'm usually well informed about young talents, straight out of the junior category, but he's been a real surprise to me. I only follow road cycling so when he was decent in Rwanda last season I didn't really think anything off it (apart from, ok this guy is pretty good for a first year), but now knowing that he never did any road racing before that was already a sign of how good he could become.
He already has an agreement with Israel to go pro for the next two years.