• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Joseph Dombrowski

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
webvan said:
Yes, he was very impressive on Baldy but he didn't look particularly thin to me on TV, unlike Gesink. Hope he finds a good team on the European scene.
It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

GesinkDom144821040WEB.jpg

MizzouJack said:
I saw he was doing the tour of portugal, i believe how is the route this year? Difficult enough for climbers to do anything?
Trek-Livestrong will ride Portugal? That's quite interesting, better than some 3rd rate teams. I hope Rabobank and Garmin send their U23 teams too. About the Volta a Portugal, it's a climber's tour really. Usually features 2 main MTF: Serra da Estrela (28km@5% or 25km@6% - typical french alps climb) and Senhora da Graça (7km@8% - more or less).

All in all, it should give him plenty opportunities to show potential.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
trevim said:
Trek-Livestrong will ride Portugal? That's quite interesting, better than some 3rd rate teams. I hope Rabobank and Garmin send their U23 teams too. About the Volta a Portugal, it's a climber's tour really. Usually features 2 main MTF: Serra da Estrela (28km@5% or 25km@6% - typical french alps climb) and Senhora da Graça (7km@8% - more or less).

All in all, it should give him plenty opportunities to show potential.

I think I saw somewhere you was going with something like team USA, looked for the article but couldn't find what I was looking for. Thought that it was on a cycling news article.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
trevim said:
It will be nice to see him here anyway. God knows this race needs a decent line up.

Nevermind He is going to Italy for the Baby Giro, Trek-Livestrong will not be in Portugal but the Garmin devilment team will be

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Best young in Gila, queen stage of California, Utah and Colorado with 21 years. Also dominated the Giro Bio with two stages win. Absolutely amazing. I think he will be the next big thing for GTS, only Pinot or maybe Quintana will be able to beat him in the future. It seems that he'll be the best american pure climber since Andy Hampsten.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
Best young in Gila, queen stage of California, Utah and Colorado with 21 years. Also dominated the Giro Bio with two stages win. Absolutely amazing. I think he will be the next big thing for GTS, only Pinot or maybe Quintana will be able to beat him in the future. It seems that he'll be the best american pure climber since Andy Hampsten.

a talent for sure, next big thing for GT I am not so sure, at least too early to tell. Both he and Pinot sucked big time in ITT, oh well maybe they can improve just like JR did.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:
a talent for sure, next big thing for GT I am not so sure, at least too early to tell. Both he and Pinot sucked big time in ITT, oh well maybe they can improve just like JR did.

When we talk about two superclimbers the tt is not esential for the possibilities to win GTS. If the TDF design next routes like 2008, 2010 or 2011 with few kilometres of ITT i think Pinot and Dombrowski (if they progress) will be able to win any of the three grand tours.

Jason_Mercier said:
When we talk about two superclimbers the tt is not esential for the possibilities to win GTS. If the TDF design next routes like 2008, 2010 or 2011 with few kilometres of ITT i think (and if they progress) Pinot and Dombrowski will be able to win any of the three grand tours.

this is so premature it's not even funny. it is a completely unknown if they will be able to perform over a 3 week span.

gerundium said:
this is so premature it's not even funny. it is a completely unknown if they will be able to perform over a 3 week span.

I thought that's what Pinot did in this year's Tour? He seemed to not weaken in the 3rd week, actually climbing till the end of the last mtf and finishing within seconds of Wiggins and Froome, ahead of the other gc contenders. He had the usual bad day but he showed that he's capable of enduring the 3 weeks of a grand tour with energy to spare.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
gerundium said:

Thibaut Pinot demonstrated in the last Tour that he is a three weeks rider. Also with 22 years in his first GT and in a bad route for him. He was one of the four best climbers, i saw a GC without time trials and he was 4°

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
When we talk about two superclimbers the tt is not esential for the possibilities to win GTS. If the TDF design next routes like 2008, 2010 or 2011 with few kilometres of ITT i think Pinot and Dombrowski (if they progress) will be able to win any of the three grand tours.

2008 had 82.5km of TT, I would like it if that counted as few TT kms but not really these days

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Jason_Mercier said:
Thibaut Pinot demonstrated in the last Tour that he is a three weeks rider. Also with 22 years in his first GT and in a bad route for him. He was one of the four best climbers, i saw a GC without time trials and he was 4°

There are many guys turning from U23 category who are supposed to be making the podium at GTs but then failing big time.

Of course I was all the best to him but you never know how it will go.

Angliru said:
I thought that's what Pinot did in this year's Tour? He seemed to not weaken in the 3rd week, actually climbing till the end of the last mtf and finishing within seconds of Wiggins and Froome, ahead of the other gc contenders. He had the usual bad day but he showed that he's capable of enduring the 3 weeks of a grand tour with energy to spare.
He shaked a bit on the 3rd week, but he held it together just like a GT rider must :)

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Michele said:
There are many guys turning from U23 category who are supposed to be making the podium at GTs but then failing big time.

Pinot doesnt need to progress, the level he showed in the TdF i think would be enough to win the Giro D Italia this year. He was the strongest in La Toussuire and the third in Peyragudes. Pinot is in other level. I never saw talents like him trip in their careers. He is the youngest winner in the history of the Giro Valle D'Aosta. In his second year as pro he was with guys like Rodrìguez, Evans or Vinokourov in Dauphiné... He's in other level, pass to professional with 20 years. Amazing guy.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
He didnt know he would ride the TdF since a week before the start. He arrived at the Tour without a specific setup. However he did a great race. As i say, incredible guy.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Michele said:

true we don't really know how Dombrowski will do once he finally starts riding in the world tour but at the moment he is looking very capable of becoming a grand tour contender. He is already able to hang with the front groups on climbs in smaller tour like California and Colorado. And he was even able to attack them in Colorado. I'd say his performance so far looks very promising of him being a future grand tour contender.

Jason_Mercier said:

Angliru said:

i was talking about dombrowski fwiw. Pinot did good in the tour indeed.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
trevim said:
He shaked a bit on the 3rd week, but he held it together just like a GT rider must :)

He was lucky enough to have his bad day on the Cap d’Agde stage, dropped on the first climb but it didn't matter with the ridiculous stage design. All in all a very impressive Tour debut and I'm sure in the next few years we will see at least one Tour route heavily favouring the pure climbers for exactly one reason ;)

will10 said:
He was lucky enough to have his bad day on the Cap d’Agde stage, dropped on the first climb but it didn't matter with the ridiculous stage design. All in all a very impressive Tour debut and I'm sure in the next few years we will see at least one Tour route heavily favouring the pure climbers for exactly one reason ;)

To suite Andy Schleck?

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
RR tweets:

As expect @JoeDombro is going to Sky. Look forward to watching him race next year, serious talent

Joe Dombrowski is a really exciting GC prospect. But how does Brailsford square signing JD with Sky/British Cycling's brit quotient; or is DB looking to cut TeamSky adrift from British Cycling?

TRENDING THREADS