• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Joseph Dombrowski

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
summerhill said:
RR tweets:

As expect @JoeDombro is going to Sky. Look forward to watching him race next year, serious talent

Joe Dombrowski is a really exciting GC prospect. But how does Brailsford square signing JD with Sky/British Cycling's brit quotient; or is DB looking to cut TeamSky adrift from British Cycling?
Team Sky, from the start, have been about signing the biggest talents worldwide, and combining them with the best domestic talent.

Currently Sky seems obviously the best choice for a young climber, maybe not to get chances to ride for himself, but certainly to improve in the climbing department. 2 years ago it certainly didn't seem that way ;)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
brailsford above all,loves winning.
dombrowski is a huge talent and no doubt brailsford see him as a future winner or maybe super domestique for froomey
anyway,i'm glad he chose them

Please no, not another potential GC contender forced to be domestique. :(

Would much rather see Dombrowski go to team that can give him the opportunity to be a leader.

Afrank said:
Please no, not another potential GC contender forced to be domestique. :(

Would much rather see Dombrowski go to team that can give him the opportunity to be a leader.

Such as where?

He's 21, not 25.
As theyoungest says, Sky is about the best place to make the necessary improvements to become a serious GC contender.
He's a very talented climber, but where better to learn how to become a top ITTer?

As for GCs, several of Sky's "domestiques" have won GCs this year, which is more than can be said for most teams.
He'll not only get his chance to win at Sky, he'll get a chance to fulfil his potential.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't get why anyone would still want to ride for Sky these days. That team is crammed with super stars already. I guess money and false promises are worth a lot.

I think Garmin would be a better team for him personally. They have a knack for putting an unsuspected rider in the top 10 of a GT and the team isn't crammed with super stars, so once in a while he gets to ride for him self.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Such as where?

He's 21, not 25.
As theyoungest says, Sky is about the best place to make the necessary improvements to become a serious GC contender.
He's a very talented climber, but where better to learn how to become a top ITTer?

As for GCs, several of Sky's "domestiques" have won GCs this year, which is more than can be said for most teams.
He'll not only get his chance to win at Sky, he'll get a chance to fulfil his potential.

Liquigas I've always thought would be a good team for him, I just don't want to see another Froome in the 2012 tour situation where the stronger climber isn't aloud to ride away for the win.

Currently Sky have a lot of riders that can ride for GC so hopefully some of them leave before Dombrowski become a GC contender; so there aren't as many to contend with for leadership. Or he goes to another team when he becomes a GC contender so he can be leader.

El Pistolero said:
I don't get why anyone would still want to ride for Sky these days. That team is crammed with super stars already. I guess money and false promises are worth a lot.

I think Garmin would be a better team for him personally. They have a knack for putting an unsuspected rider in the top 10 of a GT and the team isn't crammed with super stars, so once in a while he gets to ride for him self.

Garmin would be the other, obvious alternative.
Good setup for bringing on a rising talent.

Liquigas? Lost Kreuziger, lost Nibali, lost good helpers. Less cash these days. Very Sagan-centric. Then there's the language issue.
Remember Tom "Fassa Bortolo" Danielson.....

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
With Cannondale's increased sponsorship I thought there was going to be an increased no. of English speakers on that team. Would be a good place to be for JD I think.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Garmin would be the other, obvious alternative.
Good setup for bringing on a rising talent.

Liquigas? Lost Kreuziger, lost Nibali, lost good helpers. Less cash these days. Very Sagan-centric. Then there's the language issue.
Remember Tom "Fassa Bortolo" Danielson.....

Losing Kreuziger and Nibali is exactly the reason why Dombrowski would be good with them. They need a good potential GC contender, and he would get plenty of chances to be leader with them, where at Sky there are already too many potential leaders.

And since Dombrowski is still developing I don't think there would be much competition with Sagan.

cineteq said:
Is Talansky young enough?
Ah yeah, forgot about him. Well, there you go. A young GC talent breaking through on Garmin.

Dan Martin could be another one, not really a GC rider though. Somehow Garmin have the name of being a good team for talent development, but maybe being Dutch I don't really see it, as each and every Dutch talent fails on that team ;)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
Do you envision Henao or Uran being those potential leaders? I don't. Not because of their talent but rather the Sky politics.

Dombro shouldn't go to Sky, but it seems imminent :(

If anything will get in the way of Henao and Uran's leadership opportunities it will be the Sky politics. They have the talent to contend for GC and be the leader of the team but its hard to get those opportunities at Sky.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
Busche? Those 3km on the front have led to as much hype as Machados 3km on Malhao in 2010.

Busche still has some room to grow since he was collegiate runner and is realitive new to the bike compared to most pros his age.

Viva Zia Velo!

As far as Dombrowski? Yes, a pure climber with talent.

cineteq said:
I'm starting to think that you don't watch races at all. Your answers are completely disconnected from reality.

lets dumb this down to a language you might understand.

question 1 - do you think Nibali would have won this giro if he participated.

Answer = yes - you think nibali is the new hinault so duh.

question 2- did Froome and Wiggins outclimb Nibali in the TDF.

Answer = yes. They did, as all videos and records of that race show.

question 3 - If Nibali can beat Ryder Hejsdal in a mountainous gt, can riders who showed they have superior climbing, do it too.

Lets see how you justify a no for that one.

You're wasting your time, dude's a Sky hater in general and a Wiggo hater in particular, that's what fanboyism does to you...or maybe that's why one becomes a fanboy in the first place, chicken and egg thingy, eh ?

Back to Jo, good for him to move to Sky, I see a TOC in his near future.

The Hitch said:
question 3 - If Nibali can beat Ryder Hejsdal in a mountainous gt, can riders who showed they have superior climbing, do it too.

Lets see how you justify a no for that one.
Never mind Hitch, I'll wait until you're able to convey your thoughts properly and make some sense. In the meantime, let's not hijack this thread and go back to Dombro.

Honestly, Sky is a very good team for him for the next two years. They've got the best facilities, the best coaches and strong riders to learn from.
Dombrowski is 21 years old. He shouldn't be a captain in a GT for at least one year or he will probably be worn out.

At Sky he won't be captain if he stays there for two years, but he'll definitely get his chances (in GT's as well), but more importantly he'll get nursed the best possible way.

Then in two years time they, Sky and Dombrowski, can evaluate.

Hugo Koblet said:
Honestly, Sky is a very good team for him for the next two years. They've got the best facilities, the best coaches and strong riders to learn from.
Dombrowski is 21 years old. He shouldn't be a captain in a GT for at least one year or he will probably be worn out.

At Sky he won't be captain if he stays there for two years, but he'll definitely get his chances (in GT's as well), but more importantly he'll get nursed the best possible way.

Then in two years time they, Sky and Dombrowski, can evaluate.
100% agreed.

TRENDING THREADS