• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Joseph Dombrowski

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hugo Koblet said:
Honestly, Sky is a very good team for him for the next two years. They've got the best facilities, the best coaches and strong riders to learn from.
Dombrowski is 21 years old. He shouldn't be a captain in a GT for at least one year or he will probably be worn out.

At Sky he won't be captain if he stays there for two years, but he'll definitely get his chances (in GT's as well), but more importantly he'll get nursed the best possible way.

Then in two years time they, Sky and Dombrowski, can evaluate.

That is the way any objective person would evaluate this potential signing. But then, we all know that cineteq is anything but objective, when it comes to all things Sky.

Why else dismiss Uran and Henao (in his 1st season with them) getting a free hand at the Giro?
No support, yet Afrank has already suggested that they have too many potential GC stars riding as domestiques.

Too me, this just highlights that in the age of the WT and rider specialization, signing the strongest possible squad is paramount.

Mellow Velo said:
Why else dismiss Uran and Henao (in his 1st season with them) getting a free hand at the Giro? No support, yet Afrank has already suggested that they have too many potential GC stars riding as domestiques.
I stand by my comments until Sky shows me otherwise. I guess I'll have to wait...perhaps few years. But Dombro's career is going to be setback by Sky. Is ruined a better choice of word?

cineteq said:
I stand by my comments until Sky shows me otherwise. I guess I'll have to wait...perhaps few years. But Dombro's career is going to be setback by Sky. Is ruined a better choice of word?

I'm not sure what you mean by ruin, unless it's somehow related to Clinic issues.
As for an independent source, how about we use the current cq ranking?

27. (7) [ESP] SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel EUS 05/02/1978 889
28. (45) [COL] URAN URAN Rigoberto SKY 26/01/1987 860
29. (6) [GER] MARTIN Tony OPQ 23/04/1985 858
30. (347) [COL] HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis SKY 10/12/1987 857
31. (17) [ITA] CUNEGO Damiano LAM 19/09/1981 857
32. (426) [FRA] DEMARE Arnaud FDJ 26/08/1991 845
33. (4) [ITA] SCARPONI Michele LAM 25/09/1979 843
34. (35) [NED] GESINK Robert RAB 31/05/1986 843
35. (3) [AUS] EVANS Cadel BMC 14/02/1977 843
36. (68) [BEL] VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen LTB 01/02/1983 815

I'd say that this places Henao's first season more in the stellar, rather than ruined catagory.

Mellow Velo said:
I'd say that this places Henao's first season more in the stellar, rather than ruined catagory.
The conversation is/was about Dombro's GT leader chances with Sky.

webvan said:
Again I'm not sure why you guys are picking up the bait, dude's a Sky hater in general and a Wiggo/Froome hater in particular, just ignore him. Jo for one didn't think of asking for his opinion before signing with Sky.
Just because I don't agree with Sky methods or politics, makes me a hater or troller? :rolleyes:

cineteq said:
The conversation is/was about Dombro's GT leader chances with Sky.

Just because I don't agree with Sky methods or politics, makes me a hater or troller? :rolleyes:

No it wasn't, GC (Afrank) not GT. Read it again.
El P brought up the Colombians at the Giro.
CQ rankings highlight their successful season.
Henao had his first GT chance in his first possible GT opportunity.

GT leader chances at 21? Really.
Probable 2 year contract means he be 23 when he can choose to move or not.

As you say above, this is really about your dislike of Sky methods.
Other than that, you are just digging yourself a hole.

Cineteq is the most foolish sort of troll, in that he's repeatedly demonstrated he lacks the ability to twist the conversation away from a moment where he's shown to be completely incorrect.

El P is actually capable of being every bit as wrong as Cineteq, but at least constantly moving the point of attack so he can pretend his tedious bull**** hasn't been called.

Mellow Velo said:
El P brought up the Columbians at the Giro.

Probable 2 year contract means he be 23 when he can choose to move or not.
Yeah, after that his brain has been irreversibly damaged by the indoctrination?

BTW, can you show some respect to the Colombians by spelling it right?

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Cineteq is the most foolish sort of troll, in that he's repeatedly demonstrated he lacks the ability to twist the conversation away from a moment where he's shown to be completely incorrect.
You know what...oh wait, it's Waterloo. I guess I don't have to reply to the biggest troll there is. :) Carry on.

Dombrowski is one of the few big talents I don't actually have a problem with Sky signing.

He's a kid. Apparently a super-talented kid, but a kid. An environment with huge resources available, high levels of professionalism and zero pressure to get results is exactly what he should be looking for. Not some team that will burn him out, trying to get results out of him that his body isn't developed enough for.

I don't like seeing big money teams hoard top riders, but Dombrowski isn't a top rider. He's a top prospect who needs somewhere to develop into a star rider. He shouldn't even ride a Grand Tour next year and certainly shouldn't be a team leader in one.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Despite the source it came from, I still smiled when reading this. It reminded me quite a bit of the south park episode:

What happened to Dombrowski’s yellow Livestrong wristband that Armstrong made so popular?

During a Sky meeting in London last October, Dombrowski and fellow American Ian Boswell were initiated. During a “drink-off” Wiggins leaned over and told his new teammate he had to remove the yellow wristband. Though initially associated with the cancer fight, it now has too many negative associations.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...livestrong-band-embraces-skys-approach_276418

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
Yeah, after that his brain has been irreversibly damaged by the indoctrination?

BTW, can you show some respect to the Colombians by spelling it right?

You know what...oh wait, it's Waterloo. I guess I don't have to reply to the biggest troll there is. :) Carry on.

Your on the wrong side of the Alantic my friend. Note the Avitar. It's obvious of course, but just not to him/her?

Re:

thehog said:
Merckx11 said:
Keep an eye on this kid Joe Dombrowski. He just turned pro for Trek-Livestrong a couple of weeks ago. He is 19. He is already in the action at Utah. He won a bunch of tough east coast races this year including the Tour of Mt. Nebo, which is a tough race. He won that easily.
I believe he is from Virginia.

Thanks. I'l remember this thread in 7 years time when the guy hits the big time.

6 years Hog, 6.
Sigh. Always wrong, hog is.

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Arredondo said:
He rode the 4th fastest time on the 2nd part of the Siusi; faster then Bala and Zakarin.

Impressive stuff.
that's after two consecutive breakaway. His recovery is very impressive. He also did very well in the queen stage (sticking to Valverde until he had mechanical problem in the descend)

If he goes well in the 3rd week, that will remind me of Aru in Giro 2013.
Sigh, he was a future star 4 years ago, but injury stopped him during his 2 years in Sky.

TRENDING THREADS