• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso discussion thread

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Yates could have beaten both Almeida and Ayuso this year, unless those riders could pull off finishing less than 3 min from Pogacar after domestique duties. But maybe he goes to Giro instead.
The way Vinge’s form appeared in the third week, none of them were staying close but Adam did a great job to the surprise of many.

Should just send all four of their leaders to the Tour and see what happens. Have Almeida yo-yoing off the back keeping Jumbo away like a broom, Ayuso and Adam attacking off the front, and Pog sitting on Vinge’s wheel.

What would really help UAE is a rider of WVA’s caliber that can fill so many roles.

The new lifestyles of the top riders -
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ur-days-a-year-where-he-can-eat-what-he-likes
In a recent interview, the UAE Team Emirates rider who finished on the podium at last year's Vuelta a Espana, gave an eye-opening insight into life as a professional bike rider and the rigours that coincide with the dedication needed to stay in top shape. Ayuso even reveals how in the whole of the year he only has "four days in which I can eat whatever I want."
sad :(

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Is it actually sad? He is choosing this lifestyle and sure it’s tough and involves a heap of sacrifices but it’s far from sad.
No, but the part where he already started working with a nutritionist at the age of 17 is a bit wild. That said, it's better to have kids work with a professional at a young age instead of starving themself and developing eating disorders.
I'm of the opinion that it should be more about developing a riders engine/total wattage and less about weight loss/power to weight at such a young age, but Ayuso also wasn't that skinny at the start of his u23 career and only really started to loose upper body mass for the Baby Giro, after he already started working with Dr. Millan.

Is it actually sad? He is choosing this lifestyle and sure it’s tough and involves a heap of sacrifices but it’s far from sad.
Good point—I don’t mean it’s sad for him. I think it’s sad for the sport (and some other sports as well) that the importance of power-weight ratio requires that kind of diet regime—and can create larger problemsparticularly for women but also for some mean who might be prone to eating disorders.
That doesn’t mean it’s wrong—the power:weight is a real difference maker—and the emphasis on it increased as it became better understood.
I’m just someone who would prefer pro cyclists didn’t have to look like refugee-camp denizens to be successful.

In my opinion too young to take cycling seriously as that. You need a bit older body for starting to take GT racing so seriously.
Ayuso has apparently been seriously training since age 12 or something. That's tough for a growing adolescent. My daughter is a good competitive swimmer, but at least she can mostly eat what she wants bc power to weight is much less important in the pool.

He had the support at the professinoal level from the get go no?

I'd guess it's the DIY anorexics that suffer much more
Yeah, it's orobably more about eating clean and healthy foods than crazy diets with endurance athletes. A proper nutritionist won't have an endurance athlete on a crazy diet. The idea that kids in the youth ranks can't have a Pizza after a big race sounds just stupid.
The diy stuff often comes from stupid coaches in the youth ranks telling them "imagine how much faster you'd be climbing if you lost 4-5kg".

Reactions: Sandisfan
Looked good today. Attacked too early and was surrounded by 3 jumbos, so not great! Did a 30 sec pull chasing Kuss when he shouldn't be doing that, but still a good learning process.

Lacked the punch at the end given that he did too much at the front, but still I've liked what I saw.

Am I the only one who thought he didn't look that good? His initial attack had little on it, then in the final he was in good position but got cleaned off the wheel pretty badly
Yeah, but as I said, I still think he did better than I expected. Ayuso seems to struggle at times early on in the race at times, so him actually attacking and forcing the pace is good in itself. Although he's quite explosive when he's super strong, I still see him more of a Basso/Nibali-type rider who just gets stronger and stronger and thrives in the hard stages.

Yeah, but as I said, I still think he did better than I expected. Ayuso seems to struggle at times early on in the race at times, so him actually attacking and forcing the pace is good in itself. Although he's quite explosive when he's super strong, I still see him more of a Basso/Nibali-type rider who just gets stronger and stronger and thrives in the hard stages.
I mean only Vingegaard was able to respond to his attack initially. So that's not bad for a test balloon.

Tourmalet will be more telling.

Reactions: xo 1 and SHAD0W93
Am I the only one who thought he didn't look that good? His initial attack had little on it, then in the final he was in good position but got cleaned off the wheel pretty badly

Yup, I expected more from his when UAE was drilling. Obviously a decent performance in general terms but no fireworks. Pogacar's successor is still a work in progress. The race is long and he can get stronger of course and show what he's made of in most difficult stages.

Reactions: Sandisfan