• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Is he going to the Tour for a stage win, or is he also thinking of a possible white jersey?
He should be aiming for stage wins, I think he will struggle over three weeks in the mountains against Yates and bargueil white Jersey seems unlikely.

No way he can compete with Barguil and Yates in the high mountains. Even yesterday he got dropped by the Yates group and was saved by the descent and Yates' seemingly poor tactics (he didn't go for it on the final climb for some reason). He'll be a monster in the classics, but not convinced by his climbing for anything more than week long races which don't have as much climbing (could win a couple of editions of Paris Nice possibly)

Re: Julian Alaphilippe

Tonton said:
Julian was really strong today, what a rider. Too bad he had no team around him, just one guy (Bouet). He's amazing.
Bouet was remarkable. Bridged on his own, then stretched the group before leaving it to Alaphilippe to finish off.
Too bad everybody saw in Alaphilippe the biggest threat.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
No way he can compete with Barguil and Yates in the high mountains. Even yesterday he got dropped by the Yates group and was saved by the descent and Yates' seemingly poor tactics (he didn't go for it on the final climb for some reason). He'll be a monster in the classics, but not convinced by his climbing for anything more than week long races which don't have as much climbing (could win a couple of editions of Paris Nice possibly)

This is probably accurate, and his biggest opportunities will likely come in the classics, but it's good to see him in white for now.

CnbaNwjXEAAWUBQ.jpg

Re: Julian Alaphilippe

Anyone know what happened on the descent? Before the Nibali, Heneo went down he'd got a little got on the rest and was gaining fast, then next time I saw him he was behind the chasing group. Did he get held up by Nibali/Heneo or hade a tumble of his own?

Re:

Vroome.exe said:
He crashed. I even think he was the strongest today, but he really needs to read the race better.
You're a bit tough here. He missed the Birdsong-GVA move in the end, but I think he was cooked by then, and he still tried a counter afterwards. Balaphilippe was washed out, barely out-sprinting Purito. He gave it all. What a rider.