• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
One would have thought the Frenchie would step back a bit after signing a new contract, but no....

Destined for TdF no doubt.

I hope he takes a (long) break after ATOC and maybe rides the Vuelta. He is holding this form since the end of March/early April. No rider can sustain his form from April through July. But on the other hand, he riders for EQS, so I wouldn't be surprised, if they send him to the Tour like they did with Kwiatkowski before. :eek:

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Angliru said:
SeriousSam said:
He will be a rider with characteristics similar to Valverde. He will not even get close to Valverde's palmares.
This. It would take a lot for him to match Valverde's palmares. He is quite impressive of course.

That's weird to say about such a young rider. There are probably 3 guys of about his age who will turn out to be the big guys of their generation, and it's impossible to be sure who those will be. But we cán be sure there are guys out there who will match Valverde's palmares, maybe not this generation but 5 years later, who knows... It's not that Valverde has an unbeatable palmares, it's just that we don't know yet who is good enough to beat it.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site

Netserk said:
Angliru said:
SeriousSam said:
He will be a rider with characteristics similar to Valverde. He will not even get close to Valverde's palmares.
This. It would take a lot for him to match Valverde's palmares. He is quite impressive of course.
If he has the same legs as Valverde, he will have to be a genius to end up with a worse palmares.

good point :D

Netserk said:
Angliru said:
SeriousSam said:
If he has the same legs as Valverde, he will have to be a genius to end up with a worse palmares.

Plus he can have two years more of potential wins or podiums.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

NairoQ said:
Angliru said:
SeriousSam said:

That's weird to say about such a young rider. There are probably 3 guys of about his age who will turn out to be the big guys of their generation, and it's impossible to be sure who those will be. But we cán be sure there are guys out there who will match Valverde's palmares, maybe not this generation but 5 years later, who knows... It's not that Valverde has an unbeatable palmares, it's just that we don't know yet who is good enough to beat it.

That some rider will equal Valverde is a completely different claim than that some specific rider, like Alaphilippe, will. It is the difference between saying that someone will pick the right numbers to win the lottery and that you will.

Re:

SeriousSam said:

IF he has similar characteristics, what about him will make it so he doesn't "even get close" to AV's palmares?

IMO it's to early to even say he has similar characteristics to AV. We've seen that they share some; but we can't judge his climbing after one stage in a week long stage race with a weak field.

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
NairoQ said:
Angliru said:
SeriousSam said:

That some rider will equal Valverde is a completely different claim than that some specific rider, like Alaphilippe, will. It is the difference between saying that someone will pick the right numbers to win the lottery and that you will.

Indeed, but what was said above is: "he will NOT", and I believe there's no reason to say that, because if you say it about this guy, you have to say it about every guy. And saying it about every rider is wrong.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

NairoQ said:
SeriousSam said:
NairoQ said:
Angliru said:
SeriousSam said:

Indeed, but what was said above is: "he will NOT", and I believe there's no reason to say that, because if you say it about this guy, you have to say it about every guy. And saying it about every rider is wrong.
No, it's still right, that's the point I was making. We say "he will not" when it is sufficiently unlikely that he will, as opposed to it being impossible. Nothing is impossible.

Suppose some rider has a chance of 5% to match Valverde. I think saying "he will not equal Valverde" is justified with such a low probability. If not, make it even smaller and nothing important changes in the following calculation (only the number of riders).

Take just 20 riders that could match Valverde, each having a 5% chance to do so. The chance at least one of them will equal Valverde is about 64%. So when talking about those 20 individually, we are justified saying they won't do it, for each of them, yet conceding that at leas tone of them will likely do it.

If "he will not" is asserting there is no chance, you're right. But I wasn't saying that. ;)

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
No, it's still right, that's the point I was making. We say "he will not" when it is sufficiently unlikely that he will, as opposed to it being impossible. Nothing is impossible.

Suppose some rider has a chance of 5% to match Valverde. I think saying "he will not equal Valverde" is justified with such a low probability. If not, make it even smaller and nothing important changes in the following calculation (only the number of riders).

Take just 20 riders that could match Valverde, each having a 5% chance to do so. The chance at least one of them will equal Valverde is about 64%. So when talking about those 20 individually, we are justified saying they won't do it, for each of them, yet conceding that at leas tone of them will likely do it.

If "he will not" is asserting there is no chance, you're right. But I wasn't saying that. ;)

Okay, I agree. But what I've seen from him this season, at this age, is something I haven't seen in a long time. This is why I believe he's got a lot more then 5% chance to become a real top cyclist, but we'll see.

Hugo Koblet said:
Flamin said:
Maybe this was posted somewhere else, but he was diagnosed with mono after the Worlds. That explains his poor performances in Canada and Richmond.
Wow that's too bad. That could take a long time to get over right?
That's great news! His body will undergo significant changes and he'll come back stronger than ever :D . I see at least 8 TdF wins on the horizon :p .

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site

Tonton said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Flamin said:
Maybe this was posted somewhere else, but he was diagnosed with mono after the Worlds. That explains his poor performances in Canada and Richmond.
Wow that's too bad. That could take a long time to get over right?
That's great news! His body will undergo significant changes and he'll come back stronger than ever :D . I see at least 8 TdF wins on the horizon :p .
lolol

It depends. From my own experience individuals respond rather differently to the disease. If he already got the disease around june (thats when his performance level dropped drastically) he could be cured soon enough if he is lucky. If he is not, he could be affected for several months and then he will likely have a sub par season next year.

Hard to say.

TRENDING THREADS