• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Julian Alaphilippe

He'll get better doctors and care than you and me. It's a setback, definitely. But I feel confident that he'll be back and maybe we should get the poll/options like the Valverde thread :D . Damian13, sorry :p . I wish him well of course. The parallel/comparison with Piti makes for easy jokes. That's the world we live in. Unfortunate.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Alexandre B. said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alaphilippe-slowly-on-the-mend-from-mononucleosis/
Tough season to come, as expected.

Hope he will do the Vuelta and be helpful to Martin in the Ardennes..

First name on my shortlist for the 2017 CQ game

Mono is the same reason I took out Stefan Kung off my team this year. I was really surprised to see so many teams to include him this year knowing he is sitting out and resting because of the mono :eek:

Jancouver said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Alexandre B. said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alaphilippe-slowly-on-the-mend-from-mononucleosis/

Mono is the same reason I took out Stefan Kung off my team this year. I was really surprised to see so many teams to include him this year knowing he is sitting out and resting because of the mono :eek:

well, err... I had no idea about his problems until now :eek:

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

togo95 said:
Jancouver said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Alexandre B. said:

well, err... I had no idea about his problems until now :eek:

He will take a few weeks off and he may still do well. However between the Mono and his Olympic track ambitions, I felt there was too much going on. (not to hijack the thread, but I'm referring to Kung)

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The effects depend per rider. In the winter leading to 2014 Benoot had mono as well, yet he had an amazing season at the U23 and as Lotto trainee. Although at WT level it might make a bigger difference.

When was the first information about mono? It was October I think. i'm not a professional cyclist but i also had a mono and it's not a disease that exclude you for half a year. I realize that he will have problems to compete in March, but in end of April he could be dangerous.

Re:

Urbi27 said:
I think. i'm not a professional cyclist but i also had a mono and it's not a disease that exclude you for half a year.

The severity varies a lot though. Friend of mine who I was in a band with at the time got it - he was weak as a kitten for at least 9 months or so. His spleen was extremely enlarged and the doctors were worried it would burst. His liver function was way down. His immune system was basically out on its feet and he picked up tons of opportunistic infections - for example a spot on his skin ended up going septic and giving him blood poisoning.

In a news article from this website was stated that Alaphillipe will ride the Mallorca races..that's a surprise to me! Seems a bit early, but I guess he's (almost) recovered, those are not races to take any risk for.

Vesica said:
In a news article from this website was stated that Alaphillipe will ride the Mallorca races..that's a surprise to me! Seems a bit early, but I guess he's (almost) recovered, those are not races to take any risk for.

According to L'Equipe, Alaphilippe is in Mallorca but will not ride the Challenge. He's here for training.

1453925492-alaphilippe.png

Zinoviev Letter said:
Rollthedice said:
Very strong today. An important contender for the Ardennes.

More likely to be an important domestique. Although I suppose if he actually is back close to his best, part of that role would be to be a viable attacking threat.

I think he might be coming into form at the perfect time. He looked good today. He was off the front with Tim Wellens for a while - looking very strong on the climbs...when they got caught he still had the energy to keep the final select group out front (pacing for Vakoc), and then ride for 8th himself.

TRENDING THREADS