• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Damn, another almost-blank season for Alaphilippe (except his great Paris-Nice). Years slowly go by, and his career development is starting to get disturbed by recurring health issues (sickness, injuries) :mad:

From: http://www.iamspecialized.com/news/julian-alaphilippe-s-custom-get-well-soon-tarmac/

Part of re-calibrating his aims for the second half of the season included working with Specialized’s lead road designer Ron Jones on a classy and inspirational paint job for his new bike.

“We went with a distressed French flag graphic in combination with a red-to-blue colour-shifting flake that changes colour based on the angle of viewing,” explains Jones.

Alaphilippe can forget the disappointment and be reminded of the rest of the message from Team Specialized that didn’t need saying…..Get well soon, and see you at the races!”

620f84bf-60d7-4283-8341-c3a506334001.jpg

Alaphilippe - “ I really appreciate it. It's nice to have a big family around you for support: not just my amazing team, but also a sponsor who believes in us.”

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
According to L’Équipe, Alaphilippe should lead Quick-Step Floors at La Vuelta.

Lead as in real GC ambitions?! Or just the protected guy who will go for (some) stages? Cause we've seen multiple times already that he tends to fade away in the real mountains. He can win in the Ardennes or Mt. Baldy but thats about it.

Re: Re:

Akuryo said:
Alexandre B. said:
According to L’Équipe, Alaphilippe should lead Quick-Step Floors at La Vuelta.

Lead as in real GC ambitions?! Or just the protected guy who will go for (some) stages? Cause we've seen multiple times already that he tends to fade away in the real mountains. He can win in the Ardennes or Mt. Baldy but thats about it.

I assume lead as in "just the protected guy who will go for (some) stages"

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Jungels rode a good Giro so it makes sense for him to follow up at the Vuelta.
He did. But de la Cruz has build his entire season around peaking at the Vuelta, even skipping the Giro, and don't think Vuelta suits Jungles as well as the Giro does.

Re:

yaco said:
Jungels rode a good Giro so it makes sense for him to follow up at the Vuelta.
Or it makes sense to keep him fresh so he, Alaphilippe and Martin can have a 3-man effort at the GC in France next year; replace Brambilla and Gilbert/Stybar with Jungels and Alaf in this year's lineup, and QS would look a much stronger GC team, without damaging Kittel's sprint efforts.

Re:

Strawberry_Jams said:
Jungels won't do the Vuelta. De La Cruz will lead.

Yes he will. Jungels program since the beginning of the year included Giro and Vuelta. Vuelta is good to see how he deals with two GTs in one year and also to prepare for the WCh ITT. And anything can be better than his 2nd part of the year race program of 2016.

I suspect Alaphilippe will boss this Vuelta. I can definitely also see him ride top-5, but stage wins should be the main goal IMO (and there are loooooots of chances, god bless Guillén) when they also have decent, but not spectacular top-10 riders like Jungels and Cruz.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I suspect Alaphilippe will boss this Vuelta. I can definitely also see him ride top-5, but stage wins should be the main goal IMO (and there are loooooots of chances, god bless Guillén) when they also have decent, but not spectacular top-10 riders like Jungels and Cruz.
...ditto. If he's 100%, Balaphilippe can do some damage...he can climb the shorter ones, win muritos, sprint and get time bonuses. If he puts it together, he can be a pest for the marquis names.

TRENDING THREADS