• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I honestly disagree with the whole "Alaphilippe found his legs in the Tour" thing. Like, he won stage two of that race, he can't have been too shabby at the beginning.

I think what we saw today was what we've known for years now. If Alaphilippe is somewhat fresh and accelerates towards the end of a climb, nobody can follow, period. He often cannot sustain that effort, if someone else accelerates on a long climb he can almost certainly follow the attack, it's just that he often completely blows up a minute later. He will often drop everyone 2 or 3 kilometres from the top of a climb just before he is easily caught again. But if he is positioned like today, with a few hundred metres of climbing remaining and him not being completely in the red yet his punch is just miles better than anyone elses. It already would have been in the first week of the Tour and it probably would have been a week before the Tour as well. This wasn't Alaphilippe slowly but surely getting into shape over the Tour, this was simply Alaphilippe in a racing situation in which he is close to unbeatable.

Apparently, he was riding the 14% slopes on the big ring, after nearly 250 km. That's pretty amazing. I was thinking all his looking back would make him miss a corner or something, but luckily it didn't happen. I think this was probably his best shot at the Worlds, and he delivered.

catalog-cover.jpeg

Does he really want to leave out the Ardennes? I mean, I can understand he's tired and wants the feeling to sink in, but isn't his season almost over, anyway? I could understand Flèche, but LBL, too?
Well, if he does not ride the next races, maybe he can lend the jersey to Pedersen during that time. :p

Does he really want to leave out the Ardennes? I mean, I can understand he's tired and wants the feeling to sink in, but isn't his season almost over, anyway? I could understand Flèche, but LBL, too?
Well, if he does not ride the next races, maybe he can lend the jersey to Pedersen during that time. :p

I heard that he intends to skip Flèche because he wants to focus fully on LBL.

Reactions: BlueRoads
It's possible Ala will not be recovered after the worlds, competing in the Flèche. But the Flèche suits Ala better than L-B-L. The last slope in L-B-L, the Roche-aux-Faucons, is tough, but is not as hard than the finishing "Muur of Hoei" (up to 19 %) or the final steep 16 % slope in the worlds. I don't think Ala will be able to do better than some climbers and allrounders on that Roche-aux-faucons. So, I understand he doesn't want to compete in the Flèche, but it's not the best choice.

It's possible Ala will not be recovered after the worlds, competing in the Flèche. But the Flèche suits Ala better than L-B-L. The last slope in L-B-L, the Roche-aux-Faucons, is tough, but is not as hard than the finishing "Muur of Hoei" (up to 19 %) or the final steep 16 % slope in the worlds. I don't think Ala will be able to do better than some climbers and allrounders on that Roche-aux-faucons. So, I understand he doesn't want to compete in the Flèche, but it's not the best choice.

RAF is about the same length, gradient, and distance from the finish as the final climb in the World Championship that Alaphilippe just won.

Where are you getting this info from? It doesn't align with any of the articles I've read on CN, nor with PCS.

Someone here in the forum said he might, I don't remember where because I'm starting to mix up the threads. But it makes way more sense that he's just skipping Flèche.
It's the race he can win more easily, but Liège is a monument and he's never won it. If he's bad in both races the sponsors won't be happy either.

Reactions: cellardoor

TRENDING THREADS