• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Julian Alaphilippe Discussion Thread

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've made both Pirazzi and Massimo Iannetti into Giro winners, so, Julian, if your read this forum, I can definitely help you win the Tour.
I think my favorite moment was the 09 Tour. I was playing as Lampre, GC leader Damiano Cunego who was like 4” down on Contador who was a beast in that game and close to unstoppable. I had played through every team before and Contador had won no matter the rider. So on stage 16 I decided to throw caution to the win and attack at the top of Saint-Bernard and won the stage by 9” and just holding on to beat Contador. This was then my launch point for Basso and others to win.

Can you contact Hodeg? Or at least Kämna?

I can give it a try, but I have mostly dealt with angry riders and not really those suffering from possible mental health issues.

I think my favorite moment was the 09 Tour. I was playing as Lampre, GC leader Damiano Cunego who was like 4” down on Contador who was a beast in that game and close to unstoppable. I had played through every team before and Contador had won no matter the rider. So on stage 16 I decided to throw caution to the win and attack at the top of Saint-Bernard and won the stage by 9” and just holding on to beat Contador. This was then my launch point for Basso and others to win.

I have both won the Vuelta with Igor Anton via an intermediate sprint in Madrid, but also lost one on a simulated stage where a breakaway took half an hour and fricking Joost Posthuma won the race.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
I had not expected this today, not with this pure strength. In hindsight it always looks like "a stage designed for Alaphilippe" (okay, it was already said to be one at the presentation), but then he doesn't crush everyone and everything before a race and the doubts start...
Anyway, although this was a great stage for him once again it needs to be remembered that there were a bunch of strong contenders who were also suited to this stage who just weren't at his level today. (DQS team and Roglpog looking at each other helped.)

Alaf probably won't even complete the Tour. He might win another one tomorrow and keep yellow at least until the time trial, but after that he'll focus on the Olympics, where he will be a big favourite.

He won't do the Olympics. But what he said doesn't point to real GC ambitions. The only thing that hints at that is that he obviously trained time trialing, but I would guess it's more a "we'll see where it leads me" kind of approach, trying to do as good a tour as possible in general, than a serious, planned endeavour.

TRENDING THREADS